Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem - Handheld

This is a discussion on Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem - Handheld ; I've been having great time playing with my used Zaurus SL-5500 I purchased from a friend. I have enough knowledge of Unix and Linux to be dangerous (or at least a bother to net news groups ;-) . I started ...

  1. Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem

    I've been having great time playing with my used Zaurus SL-5500 I
    purchased from a friend. I have enough knowledge of Unix and Linux
    to be dangerous (or at least a bother to net news groups ;-) . I
    started out with some basic installations:

    qpe-filemanager_1.5.0-1_arm.ipk
    qpe-terminal_1.5.0-2_arm.ipk

    Then installed Perl and used it to run some command line scripts.

    Looking around I found a nicer battery program, or so I thought, and
    installed this:
    launcherx-batteryapplet_1.0.1_arm.ipk

    It shows installed, but no ICON shows up like the old battery
    indicator. So I looked for a different battery program and found this:
    launcherx-batteryapplet_1.0.2_arm.ipk

    ....which had comments about the newer version that would reinstall the
    entry to reinstate the old battery link upon uninstall. I tried the
    newer one, but still have no battery indicator, even after unistall.
    The web site linked to from the Zaurus Software Index
    (www.killefiz.de/zaurus/) has a link to www.killefiz.de/zaurus where the
    battery source had a link to
    http://community.zaurus.com/download...erx-batteryapp[...],
    but today I can't get to it to try to figure out what I need to do to
    change the program or reinstall the link to get the older version
    functional.

    The download page did have this comment: "Advanced battery monitor based
    on Opie's batteryapplet. This applet estimates the time remaining based
    on the battery usage rate. This applet requires libopie and is not
    guaranteed to run on IPAQs. Hint: To get a different applet view,
    tap-and-hold the applet icon until the perentage view is displayed."

    Now I am not that familiar with this Zaurus and don't know what
    "libopie" refers to so this might be a clue to someone that knows a
    Zaurus better than me.

    Thanks for any help in advance.

    R. Stelmack
    robert.h.stelmack*REMOVE*@boeing.com

  2. Re: Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem

    "Robert Stelmack" wrote in message
    > ...which had comments about the newer version that would reinstall the
    > entry to reinstate the old battery link upon uninstall. I tried the
    > newer one, but still have no battery indicator, even after unistall.
    > The web site linked to from the Zaurus Software Index
    > (www.killefiz.de/zaurus/) has a link to www.killefiz.de/zaurus where the
    > battery source had a link to
    > http://community.zaurus.com/download...erx-batteryapp[...],
    > but today I can't get to it to try to figure out what I need to do to
    > change the program or reinstall the link to get the older version
    > functional.

    The Community site is currently down as Sharp has decided to revamp the
    whole zaurus.com site without telling anyone and without the current site
    continuing :-(

    > The download page did have this comment: "Advanced battery monitor based
    > on Opie's batteryapplet. This applet estimates the time remaining based
    > on the battery usage rate. This applet requires libopie and is not
    > guaranteed to run on IPAQs. Hint: To get a different applet view,
    > tap-and-hold the applet icon until the perentage view is displayed."
    >
    > Now I am not that familiar with this Zaurus and don't know what
    > "libopie" refers to so this might be a clue to someone that knows a
    > Zaurus better than me.

    OPIE is the completely open-source alternative to Qtopia:
    http://opie.handhelds.org

    libopie is a common library that most Opie originating apps need. To install
    this and other Opie apps on a Sharp ROM, use this feed:
    http://opie.handhelds.org/feed/sharprom/latest/ (Don't go installing
    everything though. There are still some incompatible packages)

    If you want to get back to the original battery applet, run the following
    commands as root:

    cd /home/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets
    ln -sf /usr/QtPalmtop.rom/plugins/applets/libbatteryapplet.so.1.0.0
    libbatteryapplet.so.1.0.0
    ln -sf libbatteryapplet.so.1.0.0 libbatteryapplet.so.1.0
    ln -sf libbatteryapplet.so.1.0.0 libbatteryapplet.so.1
    ln -sf libbatteryapplet.so.1.0.0 libbatteryapplet.so

    Then restart Qtopia

    HTH

    Colin

  3. Re: Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem

    Robert Stelmack wrote:

    > It shows installed, but no ICON shows up like the old battery
    > indicator.

    It probably is installed. As Colin said, you need to start Qtopia to get
    the icons for some new apps to appear.

  4. Re: Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem

    Thanks Daryn. I think I'd better learn to crawl on this Zaurus before I go
    off and start reconfiguring it. I don't want to install Qtopia until I am
    more familiar with this PDA.

    I did some search on the Zaurus and found some files that dealt with this
    battery issue. They were in /home/root/usr/lib/ipkg/info

    Launcher-batteryapplet.control
    Launcher-batteryapplet.postinst
    Launcher-batteryapplet.postrm
    Launcher-batteryapplet.preinst

    The "control" file had the name JOSIAH BRYAN in it and it shows the
    "Conflicts: opie-batteryapplet-ipaq" I did a search for Josiah Bryan and
    sent an email to the two email addresses I found for him. Perhaps he could
    answer my question. If you "Daryn" happen to know what needs to be done to
    restore the Zaurus back to the old battery that would be greatly
    apprieciated.

    I'm just an old Unix user that has been away from Unix too long and working
    on real-time proprietary computer systems.

    Sorry to trouble your busy day.

    "Daryn" wrote in message

    > Robert Stelmack wrote:
    >

    > > It shows installed, but no ICON shows up like the old battery
    > > indicator.

    > It probably is installed. As Colin said, you need to start Qtopia to get
    > the icons for some new apps to appear.

  5. Re: Zaurus SL-5500 Program Install Problem

    Josiah was kind enough to educate me so I would like to pass along his
    response and fix to the original query: