ARM based handhelds - Handheld

This is a discussion on ARM based handhelds - Handheld ; Hi ! I am lookin for ARM/XScale based PDAs/Tablets which have a reflashable OS. Are there any 'round ?? And would they also run in BIG_ENDIAN ??? Tia...

  1. ARM based handhelds

    Hi !

    I am lookin for ARM/XScale based PDAs/Tablets which have a reflashable OS.
    Are there any 'round ??

    And would they also run in BIG_ENDIAN ???

    Tia

  2. Re: ARM based handhelds

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:49 +0100, "xak" wrote:

    >Hi !
    >
    >I am lookin for ARM/XScale based PDAs/Tablets which have a reflashable OS.
    >Are there any 'round ??

    By Microsoft fiat/definition _all_ Pocket PC 2002 handhelds run on
    ARM/XScale. Some earlier (Pocket PC) and later (Pocket PC 2003)
    relatives run on other processors. In particular, I'm pretty sure all
    iPAQs run on ARM/XScale. I'm not sure about reflashable. I _think_ the
    folks who run Linux on iPAQs reflash the BIOS to install Linux.

    >And would they also run in BIG_ENDIAN ???

    My debug builds include a check (for my curiosity). So far, every
    version of Windows CE I've checked is little_endian. But I don't have
    access to a huge collection, and my debug builds don't get out.

    >Tia

    Robert E. Zaret
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: ARM based handhelds

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:02:49 +0100, "xak" wrote:
    >
    > >Hi !
    > >
    > >I am lookin for ARM/XScale based PDAs/Tablets which have a reflashable

    OS.
    > >Are there any 'round ??

    > By Microsoft fiat/definition _all_ Pocket PC 2002 handhelds run on
    > ARM/XScale. Some earlier (Pocket PC) and later (Pocket PC 2003)
    > relatives run on other processors. In particular, I'm pretty sure all
    > iPAQs run on ARM/XScale. I'm not sure about reflashable. I _think_ the
    > folks who run Linux on iPAQs reflash the BIOS to install Linux.

    Thanks !!

    > >And would they also run in BIG_ENDIAN ???

    > My debug builds include a check (for my curiosity). So far, every
    > version of Windows CE I've checked is little_endian. But I don't have
    > access to a huge collection, and my debug builds don't get out.

    I don't think WinCE would run in different endians on the same hardware.
    I know the ARM/XSc are capable of BIG/little ednian, and without wanting to
    start that war again, I prefer the BIG one, just by having learned this kind
    of CPUs first.

    The question was/is if there is anything about the HW known, if they are
    hardwired to run in little, as Windooz is traditionally little, or if the HW
    manfs have been so kind to allow endiannes switching, say at "Boot time"...

    Thanks again for bothering with me !!

    --
    Kosta Xonis

+ Reply to Thread