backing up and saving info on a Jornada 820 - Handheld

This is a discussion on backing up and saving info on a Jornada 820 - Handheld ; Hi, I hope someone may be able to help me. My partner has a Jornada 820 which is very much on it's last legs - case broken, keys missing and only just holding together. It has a flash card which ...

  1. backing up and saving info on a Jornada 820

    Hi, I hope someone may be able to help me.
    My partner has a Jornada 820 which is very much on it's last legs -
    case broken, keys missing and only just holding together. It has a
    flash card which I back up to frequently and weekly I connect it to
    the PC and sync it. Last week though I installed Outlook 2002, I was
    previously using 2000, and now it won't sync at all so I have no real
    way of backing this thing up in a format which another device can
    interpret the data.

    If the unit dies, which could happen any day, I don't know how to
    retrieve the data on it. I can put the flash card in a flash card
    reader but the PC doesn't know what to do with a file of that sort,
    I've tried putting the flash card in my Jornada 720 but it won't read
    or import the data files either. I've tried, so far in vain, to get
    another 820 but they're very rare in Australia.

    Can anybody give me some advice as to how to get the data off the 820
    in a format that can be read/accessed by another computer - be it a PC
    or another handheld. Would beaming the info be possible?

    Thanks in advance to anybody who could help. Oh and if anybody has any
    ideas as to another similar unit which can be purchased in Australia
    today to replace it with when it does finally die I'd be very
    grateful. My partner doesn't want a notebook and he thinks the 720 is
    a bit too small.

    Cheers

    Netnurse2

  2. Re: backing up and saving info on a Jornada 820

    Good day,

    > My partner has a Jornada 820 which is very much on it's last legs -
    > case broken, keys missing and only just holding together. It has a
    > flash card which I back up to frequently and weekly I connect it to
    > the PC and sync it. Last week though I installed Outlook 2002, I was
    > previously using 2000, and now it won't sync at all so I have no real
    > way of backing this thing up in a format which another device can
    > interpret the data.

    Office 2002 should sync fine with the J820. I own a J820 and I sync it
    with OfficeXP 2003.

    What version of Activesync are you using?

    As for getting another J820, your best bet is eBay -- though they're not
    cheap.

    Best regards,
    Michael Tam

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Michael Tam

  3. Re: backing up and saving info on a Jornada 820

    Michael Tam wrote in message news:<40178ce4@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
    > Good day,
    >
    > > My partner has a Jornada 820 which is very much on it's last legs -
    > > case broken, keys missing and only just holding together. It has a
    > > flash card which I back up to frequently and weekly I connect it to
    > > the PC and sync it. Last week though I installed Outlook 2002, I was
    > > previously using 2000, and now it won't sync at all so I have no real
    > > way of backing this thing up in a format which another device can
    > > interpret the data.

    > Office 2002 should sync fine with the J820. I own a J820 and I sync it
    > with OfficeXP 2003.
    >
    > What version of Activesync are you using?
    >
    > As for getting another J820, your best bet is eBay -- though they're not
    > cheap.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Michael Tam

    Thanks Michael for your response, perhaps I will try it again. I'm
    using the latest version of Activesync - 3.71 I think it is.

    I've tried ebay before but the market is small in Australia, I'll have
    another look I think though. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread