Booting Zaurus w/ OZ to a command prompt (run level 3?) - Handheld

This is a discussion on Booting Zaurus w/ OZ to a command prompt (run level 3?) - Handheld ; I updated my Opie from 0.9x to 1.03 recently and the package update from the command prompt (Opie Terminated) worked fine until I tried to start Opie. It hung with a statement about opie-login starting. Now I can't get the ...

  1. Booting Zaurus w/ OZ to a command prompt (run level 3?)

    I updated my Opie from 0.9x to 1.03 recently and the package update
    from the command prompt (Opie Terminated) worked fine until I tried to
    start Opie. It hung with a statement about opie-login starting. Now I
    can't get the Zaurus (5500) to boot at all. It gets to the Open
    Zaurus splash screen, gives the 'wait booting..' message and then
    beeps an alarm and switches to a blank screen.

    Is there any way to boot into just OZ at a command prompt w/o loading
    Opie? Must I re-flash my ROM to recover from this. I understand that
    under the Sharp ROM you could use the /? key to get to a boot menu of
    sorts but that doesn't appear to be available under OpenZaurus. Any
    help would be much appreciated.

  2. Re: Booting Zaurus w/ OZ to a command prompt (run level 3?)

    Garrett wrote:

    > I updated my Opie from 0.9x to 1.03 recently and the package update
    > from the command prompt (Opie Terminated) worked fine until I tried to
    > start Opie. It hung with a statement about opie-login starting. Now I

    The upgrade path from 0.9x to 1.03 ist not smooth at all- we had to change
    way too many things.
    The best you should do is to reflash the Z with the images from
    http://www.hentges.net

    Anything else will require a whole lot of effort which would run out of
    scope of this group. If you still would like to recover without flashing, I
    suggest to join people on IRC (look at my sig for contact information) and
    get interactive help there.

    Regards,

    Oliver

    Oliver Fels
    Feed manager/Coordination
    Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
    http://opie.handhelds.org
    IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de #openzaurus

  3. Re: Booting Zaurus w/ OZ to a command prompt (run level 3?)

    In case anyone runs into this problem. I discovered that the 'Home'
    key on the Zaurus, in combination with the keyboard can re-boot (soft)
    (Home+b) and at least for me it booted into the root user when I
    pressed (Home+r) however I haven't been able to duplicate this
    reliably. I was able to get to a prompt as root and fix my Opie
    install. Now she's purring like a kitten.. until the next time I
    break something.

    Hope someone finds this useful.

    milamg@sympatico.ca (Garrett) wrote in message news:<384d8e88.0401231116.5292769a@posting.google.com>...
    > I updated my Opie from 0.9x to 1.03 recently and the package update
    > from the command prompt (Opie Terminated) worked fine until I tried to
    > start Opie. It hung with a statement about opie-login starting. Now I
    > can't get the Zaurus (5500) to boot at all. It gets to the Open
    > Zaurus splash screen, gives the 'wait booting..' message and then
    > beeps an alarm and switches to a blank screen.
    >
    > Is there any way to boot into just OZ at a command prompt w/o loading
    > Opie? Must I re-flash my ROM to recover from this. I understand that
    > under the Sharp ROM you could use the /? key to get to a boot menu of
    > sorts but that doesn't appear to be available under OpenZaurus. Any
    > help would be much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread