Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong? - Handheld ; I recently purchased an original Poqet PC, along with a serial link cable. I carefully studied: General Information about the Poqet PC, the best on the web: http://www.bmason.com/PoqetPC/ Specifically about Making the upload/download Serial Connections http://www.njqrp.org/poqetpc/wj2v%20review.html Details about the Poqet ...

  1. Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong?

    I recently purchased an original Poqet PC, along with a serial link cable.
    I carefully studied:

    General Information about the Poqet PC, the best on the web:
    http://www.bmason.com/PoqetPC/

    Specifically about Making the upload/download Serial Connections
    http://www.njqrp.org/poqetpc/wj2v%20review.html

    Details about the Poqet PC Expansion Bus, including pin outs.
    http://www.bmason.com/PoqetPC/docs/p.../chapter6.html

    I also read several tiny articles on how to make your own serial cable
    from scratch, here is one of the better ones:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....winternet.com

    After trying every combination of all of the advice on the second link,
    and failing to make any connections. I get two kinds of result:
    (1) The desktop screen version of PQLINK scrolls up two inches,
    and the PC locks up, requiring a cold boot.
    (2) "Error connecting" message.

    I opened up the Poqet Link Cable and examined all of the connections.
    There are Connections to Pins: 1, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, and 39.
    There is no connection to Pin 32, The Transmit Data Pin.

    Even the simplest home made cable requires Pins
    (1 = GND), (32 = TxD) and (33 = RxD) to be connected.

    Also all of the Null Modem pin outs Require this TxD (Transmit Data) Pin.

    I am at a loss. It makes no sense to me that the original manufacturer would
    make a Link cable that can not Link. Also It makes no sense that it could
    Link without a required pin connection.

    Does anyone have any ideas about how I can correctly make an
    upload/download connection ?

  2. Re: Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong?

    I can only say I had a Poqet PC, more than a decade ago, and used the
    supplied Poqet Link cable to link every night to a PC-compatible and
    transfer files. I used it quite happily in the library for a couple
    of years, and wish that I had a machine with exactly its keyboard, but
    a faster cpu, today. I was never crazy about the fact that I could
    use its display as a shaving mirror, but lovvved that battery life!
    It was a TERRIFIC machine for taking notes and doing symbolic math
    (using Derive) in the library. I never altered the supplied cable in
    any way. It was SO low-maintenance in every way.

  3. Re: Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong?

    "Emanuel Zorg" wrote in message
    news:20c6e0ac.0401171519.7ab83153@posting.google.c om...
    > I can only say I had a Poqet PC, more than a decade ago, and used the
    > supplied Poqet Link cable to link every night to a PC-compatible and
    > transfer files. I used it quite happily in the library for a couple
    > of years, and wish that I had a machine with exactly its keyboard, but
    > a faster cpu, today.

    HP Jornada 690, 720, and 728. These are all available on ebay, and
    half.com. I have a 690 coming on Monday. Same Keyboard, full color
    backlit screen. Windows CE 3.0, and many other features.

    >I was never crazy about the fact that I could
    > use its display as a shaving mirror, but lovvved that battery life!
    > It was a TERRIFIC machine for taking notes and doing symbolic math
    > (using Derive) in the library. I never altered the supplied cable in
    > any way. It was SO low-maintenance in every way.

  4. Re: Is the Poqet PC Link Cable Wired Wrong?

    "Emanuel Zorg" wrote in message
    news:20c6e0ac.0401171519.7ab83153@posting.google.c om...
    > I can only say I had a Poqet PC, more than a decade ago, and used the
    > supplied Poqet Link cable to link every night to a PC-compatible and
    > transfer files. I used it quite happily in the library for a couple
    > of years, and wish that I had a machine with exactly its keyboard, but
    > a faster cpu, today. I was never crazy about the fact that I could
    > use its display as a shaving mirror, but lovvved that battery life!
    > It was a TERRIFIC machine for taking notes and doing symbolic math
    > (using Derive) in the library. I never altered the supplied cable in
    > any way. It was SO low-maintenance in every way.

    It turns out that I forgot to count the Slot Connection as Pin 35.
    It seems that the cable is wired correctly after all. What software were
    you using for your file transfers?

+ Reply to Thread