Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600 - Handheld ; Does anyone know if there are any messenger programs for the Zaurus SL-5600? Specifically I'm looking for a Yahoo messenger program that will run on it, and allow me to use it through my in home wireless network. I know ...

  1. Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600

    Does anyone know if there are any messenger programs for the Zaurus
    SL-5600? Specifically I'm looking for a Yahoo messenger program that
    will run on it, and allow me to use it through my in home wireless
    network. I know Yahoo recently changed their protocols so I did not
    know if that had any affect on third party programs.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600

    SPaReK schrieb:

    Hi,

    > Does anyone know if there are any messenger programs for the Zaurus
    > SL-5600? Specifically I'm looking for a Yahoo messenger program that
    > will run on it, and allow me to use it through my in home wireless
    > network. I know Yahoo recently changed their protocols so I did not
    > know if that had any affect on third party programs.

    I don't know anything about a protocol change, but you should be able to use
    Yahoo IM with gaim. It should definitely work through the Jabber plugin,
    because your messages to other IM networks are "gatewayed" through the
    Jabber server which has to handle the protocol stuff then (search at
    www.killefiz.de/zaurus)

    A nice alternative is tkcJabber (www.thekompany.com), which is not open
    source though. It has a very nice applet for the taskbar and (again through
    Jabber) handles ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, etc.

    --
    Bye,
    Oliver

  3. Re: Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600

    "SPaReK" wrote in message
    news:6496664b.0401121501.52d1d090@posting.google.c om...
    > Does anyone know if there are any messenger programs for the Zaurus
    > SL-5600? Specifically I'm looking for a Yahoo messenger program that
    > will run on it, and allow me to use it through my in home wireless
    > network. I know Yahoo recently changed their protocols so I did not
    > know if that had any affect on third party programs.

    Gaim's direct Yahoo plugin has been updated with the latest protocol:
    http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1255
    Gaim also has a Jabber plugin that can use any up-to-date Jabber server to
    connect to Yahoo.

    There is also the following Yahoo IM clients, but I do not know if they work
    with the latest Yahoo protocol:
    Qazoo: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1348
    Gyach: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1020

    Regards,

    Colin

  4. Re: Messenger with Zaurus SL-5600

    "Colin Pinkney" wrote in message news:...
    > "SPaReK" wrote in message
    > news:6496664b.0401121501.52d1d090@posting.google.c om...
    > > Does anyone know if there are any messenger programs for the Zaurus
    > > SL-5600? Specifically I'm looking for a Yahoo messenger program that
    > > will run on it, and allow me to use it through my in home wireless
    > > network. I know Yahoo recently changed their protocols so I did not
    > > know if that had any affect on third party programs.

    > Gaim's direct Yahoo plugin has been updated with the latest protocol:
    > http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1255
    > Gaim also has a Jabber plugin that can use any up-to-date Jabber server to
    > connect to Yahoo.
    >
    > There is also the following Yahoo IM clients, but I do not know if they work
    > with the latest Yahoo protocol:
    > Qazoo: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1348
    > Gyach: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=1020
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Colin

    There is a patched source of gyach that's working again on Yahoo, at
    http://jory.pmud.com/FullSource-Patched/
    Hopefully the patched version will show up on the regular gyach
    homepage. Thanks to all the people who fixed it!

+ Reply to Thread