Handheld recommendation? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Handheld recommendation? - Handheld ; Hi, sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no idea which one. I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book function. Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries ...

  1. Handheld recommendation?

    Hi,

    sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no idea
    which one.

    I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book function.
    Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries
    (English-German), learn Japanese vocabularies (need Japanese language!),
    and see street maps. GPS navigation would be good, too.

    Which one would be good for this? Or are all these functions anyway
    standard for every handheld? What are the cheaper options for me?

    Thanks,
    Andi

  2. Re: Handheld recommendation?

    "Andreas Schmidt" wrote in message
    newspr1hsjdvlk05e3a@News.CIS.DFN.DE...
    > Hi,
    >
    > sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no idea
    > which one.
    >
    > I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book function.
    > Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries
    > (English-German), learn Japanese vocabularies (need Japanese language!),
    > and see street maps. GPS navigation would be good, too.
    >
    > Which one would be good for this? Or are all these functions anyway
    > standard for every handheld? What are the cheaper options for me?
    >
    > Thanks,

    > Andi

    Hi, Andi. No need to apologise for being a newbie ... we were all newbie's
    at one time or another and for those of us who consider themselves experts
    in the field, well they should think twice. My definition of an expert is
    one who knows more and more about less and less. So, that being said,
    needless to say that I am no expert.

    Back to your questions - most Pocket PCs and Handheld PCs will do what you
    ask for. Since you posted your question in this newsgroup, I presume that
    you've already made your decision to buy a Handheld PC as opposed to a
    Pocket PC. If that's the case, if your budget permits, my recommendation
    would be the NEC MobilePro 900. I have one, I'm very happy with it ... it's
    fast, excellent keyboard... If you do a quick search on the web, you'll
    find a number of reviews about it. This device is not as portable as some
    other form factors but it's ease of use in my view more than compensates for
    that. Typing on this device is just as comfortable as using a regular
    keyboard, it's that simple.

    As for GPSing, I do not recommend using ANY handheld PCs for GPS purposes
    unless you intend to use the GPS program in night time only - HPC screens
    are simply not readable outdoors in day time

    For dictionaries, take a look at the TrueTerm dictionaries at
    http://www.trueterm.org/english/index.htm. I have been using TrueTerm for a
    couple of years now and I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality
    of this software. One major strength to their design is that it can accept
    user input, such that you can add to existing definitions, add new words,
    annotate, etc. But TrueTerm does not offer Japanese dictionary, so I can't
    help you on that front.

    Hope this helps - good luck with your purchase!

    Uncle Ben

  3. Re: Handheld recommendation?

    Am Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:40:55 -0500 hat Uncle Ben
    geschrieben:

    > "Andreas Schmidt" wrote in message
    > newspr1hsjdvlk05e3a@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

    >> sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no idea
    >> which one.
    >>
    >> I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book
    >> function.
    >> Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries
    >> (English-German), learn Japanese vocabularies (need Japanese language!),
    >> and see street maps. GPS navigation would be good, too.
    >>
    >> Which one would be good for this? Or are all these functions anyway
    >> standard for every handheld? What are the cheaper options for me?
    >>

    > ask for. Since you posted your question in this newsgroup, I presume
    > that
    > you've already made your decision to buy a Handheld PC as opposed to a
    > Pocket PC. If that's the case, if your budget permits, my
    > recommendation
    > would be the NEC MobilePro 900. I have one, I'm very happy with it ...
    > it's
    > fast, excellent keyboard...

    THanks for your answer. NEC MobilePro 900 looks nice, but $900 is too much
    for my budget.

    How about Sharp Zaurus SL-5600? It's $480 sounds already better for me...

    > As for GPSing, I do not recommend using ANY handheld PCs for GPS purposes
    > unless you intend to use the GPS program in night time only - HPC screens
    > are simply not readable outdoors in day time

    Is the same true for Sharp Zaurus? I read it has a "reflective TFT screen".

  4. Re: Handheld recommendation?

    Andreas Schmidt wrote:
    > sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no
    > idea which one.

    you seem to be German, so I suggest to start reading the newsgroups

    de.comp.sys.handhelds.palm-pilot
    de.comp.sys.handhelds.windows-ce

    > I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book
    > function.

    Correct, but most of the inbuilt software is rather simple. There are
    always more compherensive solutions available as payware.

    > Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries
    > (English-German), learn Japanese vocabularies (need Japanese
    > language!), and see street maps.

    This can be done by any PalmOS or PocketPC handheld that supports a
    memory card. There are several dictionaries around for both systems.

    IMHO the best English-German dictionary in terms of contents &
    price/value is the "PONS Kompaktwoerterbuch" sold under the Mobipocket
    format (somewhere at http://www.mobipocket.com).

    > GPS navigation would be good, too.

    GPS needs additional hardware which is not available for all PalmOS
    models, furthermore not every model has real speakers which are loud
    enough for use in a car.

    Regards,

    Guido

  5. Re: Handheld recommendation?

    Hi,i got zaurus 5600 for sale.....if interested,p[ls get in touch with
    me.BTW i'm in singapore,but i will ship it to you by courire of your
    choice,you pay shipping and handling. My price $500 USD...Thanks!

    Andreas Schmidt wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > sorry, I am a newbie. I am planning to buy a handheld, but have no idea
    > which one.
    >
    > I think, every handheld has a calendar, notes, and address book function.
    > Beside that, I want to download complete good dictionaries
    > (English-German), learn Japanese vocabularies (need Japanese language!),
    > and see street maps. GPS navigation would be good, too.
    >
    > Which one would be good for this? Or are all these functions anyway
    > standard for every handheld? What are the cheaper options for me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andi

  6. Re: Handheld recommendation?

    Am 9 Jan 2004 22:36:23 -0800 hat trent
    geschrieben:

    > Hi,i got zaurus 5600 for sale.....if interested,p[ls get in touch with
    > me.BTW i'm in singapore,but i will ship it to you by courire of your
    > choice,you pay shipping and handling. My price $500 USD...Thanks!

    Thanks, but Amazon has it for $299 USD
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...147146-1340815

    And anyway, the normal price seems to be around $480, so why should I buy
    it for $500?

    Andi

+ Reply to Thread