Re: ISO advice re Jornada 720 and comparable handhelds - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: ISO advice re Jornada 720 and comparable handhelds - Handheld ; >However, for shear computation -- remember that the NB and the J820 >run exactly the same processor at the same speed! > Exactly - that speaks volumes for the EPOC OS which runs Psions. The Revo has a 36mHz processor ...

  1. Re: ISO advice re Jornada 720 and comparable handhelds

    >However, for shear computation -- remember that the NB and the J820
    >run exactly the same processor at the same speed!

    Exactly - that speaks volumes for the EPOC OS which runs Psions.

    The Revo has a 36mHz processor and it's lightning fast, as fast or faster than
    my Jornada 720 at 200mHz.

    Bob G

  2. Re: ISO advice re Jornada 720 and comparable handhelds

    Good day,

    > Exactly - that speaks volumes for the EPOC OS which runs Psions.
    >
    > The Revo has a 36mHz processor and it's lightning fast, as fast or
    > faster than my Jornada 720 at 200mHz.

    However, it is a matter of comparing apples to apples. The J720 runs in
    16-bit colour and has a bigger screen -- without doing anything else,
    it needs to "draw" a lot more. Also, it also depends of the
    sophistication of the OS. The Revo can't do a hell of a lot of stuff
    that the J720 can. It would be like me saying that my Pentium Classic
    running Win3.1 is "lightning fast" and faster than my Pentium III
    running WinXP. Sure the UI may be more responsive, but sometimes, it is
    the features that count.

    I recently bought a MobilePro 400 (WinCE 1.0) to play around with. I
    was actually rather surprised at how responsive the UI was -- probably a
    little bit faster than my J820. However, it only needed to draw a
    480x240 screen AND in 2-bit greyscale.

    The increased screen sizes and colour depth is one of the main reason
    why some of the older H/PC 2.0/Pros don't seem "as responsive". The
    CPU/chipset technology wasn't quite there yet, but they were ambitious
    with what they wanted to do. It isn't so much WinCE itself -- rather,
    just hardware limitations. The J720 and other H/PC 2000s are relatively
    so much "faster" and more responsive compared to H/PC 2.0 and H/PC Pros
    as they have a 2D video chip that off-loads a lot of screen rendering
    from the CPU.

    Have a look at the benchmarks for a range of Windows CE devices.
    Devices like the Compaq Aero 8000 with it's crazy 800x600 screen score
    quite low --> not because it's got a relatively puny CPU, rather, it
    just has to draw a lot of screen space.

    I regard the J820 and NB a reasonable "apples vs apples" comparison as
    both have very similar specifications (same CPU, same speed, same screen
    resolution and depth). Sure, the UI in the NB runs faster, but the
    underlying OS in the J820 is more sophisticated and has more features.
    Though it does depend on how you actually use the machine -- IMHO, you
    get a lot more mileage out of a J820 compared to a NB.

    Best regards,
    Michael Tam

    --
    Michael Tam