Palm 16MB VS 32MB - Handheld

This is a discussion on Palm 16MB VS 32MB - Handheld ; I would like to get a palm and have narrowed it down to two, the Tungsten E or the Zire 71. The Zire 71 appears to have more features such as a camera, HOWEVER it only has 16MB of ram ...

  1. Palm 16MB VS 32MB

    I would like to get a palm and have narrowed it down to two, the Tungsten E
    or the Zire 71. The Zire 71 appears to have more features such as a camera,
    HOWEVER it only has 16MB of ram vs the 32MB on the Tungsten E. I do not
    understand why the Palm with more features would have less ram. I realize
    that I can plug a SD card into the expansion slot, but was wondering if the
    16MB of ram will be enough or if the 32MB is the better way to go. How much
    ram does one need on a Palm?

    Thank you in advance.....

    Craig

  2. Re: Palm 16MB VS 32MB

    Craig Robison wrote:

    > I would like to get a palm and have narrowed it down to two, the Tungsten E
    > or the Zire 71. The Zire 71 appears to have more features such as a camera,
    > HOWEVER it only has 16MB of ram vs the 32MB on the Tungsten E. I do not
    > understand why the Palm with more features would have less ram. I realize
    > that I can plug a SD card into the expansion slot, but was wondering if the
    > 16MB of ram will be enough or if the 32MB is the better way to go. How much
    > ram does one need on a Palm?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.....
    >
    > Craig

    My personal experience with Z71 tells me that RAM is not an issue if you
    use a SD card and have a good Launcher application like ZLauncher.

    I keep in RAM only those applications that need to trigger an alarm or
    need to be invoked at any time like Paragon's SlovoED Dictionary Engine.

    For every other I put them to SD card, in /PALM/Launcher directory if it
    is one file, or in /PALM/Programs/ZLauncer/Apps/xxx directory where xxx
    is the application name, if the program seem to have more than one file.

    For programs that have conduits I make ZLauncer shortcuts to RAM in
    order to work during hot sync.

    Few programs need to be in RAM like:
    -RealOne Player, in order to play music in the background while running
    other programs.
    -ePocrates Rx, because it doesn't synchronize when it is in SD Card, but
    you don't need it if you are not a doctor.
    -HWView for reading e-magazines mostly for medical professionals.

    Any other program I have is in SDCard including AvantGo, MobiPocket,
    iSilo, Plucker, AdobeReader, ABXGuide,...

    ....and I still have 6.8M free RAM space!

+ Reply to Thread