New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows) - Handheld

This is a discussion on New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows) - Handheld ; I bought my girlfriend a T3 for Xmas to replace her poor old IIIx and as the product looked so good I treated myself to one too. The experience so far has been nothing short of miserable and if anyone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    I bought my girlfriend a T3 for Xmas to replace her poor old IIIx and as the
    product looked so good I treated myself to one too. The experience so far
    has been nothing short of miserable and if anyone can help I'd be very
    grateful.

    Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is a
    strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but it wrecks
    the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar complaints. Is this
    justification for a replacement?

    But that is nothing compared to the problems with hotsync. We each have a
    laptop - she has a Dell Inspiron 7000 running Win Me. I have a Dell Inspiron
    8000 laptop running Win XP Pro. I have been completely unable to get a
    successful sync on her laptop (her IIIx used to sync perfectly with its
    serial connection). Also, the old laptop is perfectly happy using its USB
    port for a mouse or a digital camera or an ADSL modem so I fail to see why
    the Palm doesn't work.

    I've trawled the web and Palm Support and it appears the choices are to
    either...

    1. buy a new laptop
    2. buy a serial cradle for the T3 (it doesn't mate with the cradle for the
    IIIx)
    3. buy a PCMCIA card to provide a new USB(2) interface
    4. give up on her laptop and sync both T3s with my laptop.

    Option 1 is out of the question at the moment due to cost and as a matter of
    principle.

    Option 2 is unsatisfactory due to extra expense and reduced transfer speed.

    Option 3 is unsatisfactory due to extra expense and the fact that that will
    leave unsightly protrusions and may not even fit with the wireless card we
    are getting soon.

    Option 4 - well I've tried this and am getting horrendous problems. I use
    Outlook 2003 and I've been able to get my T3 set up and synched perfectly.
    The problem is when I try to synch her T3. She doesn't use Outlook,
    especially not on *my* laptop. But the sync software wants to either always
    work with Outlook conduits or with Desktop conduits but not both. Thus she
    can install new software but not backup her own data.

    I then tried setting up a new Windows user id on my laptop to see if I could
    establish her own customised sync profile that way. I was surprised to find
    that I had to reinstall the Desktop software again, even though we both have
    administrator rights. Anyway, I did all this and tried connecting and
    syncing her T3. After two blue screen crashes *under XP!* I finally got the
    thing connected and talking and managed to do a sync.

    I performed all the updates for T3, security etc. and installed Documents To
    Go. I then did a compare of the installed apps on each and the memory used
    and discovered unexpected variations so I thought I'd connect my T3 to the
    second USB port - both cradles and T3s connected at once - and switch back
    to my own ID to sync my machine from there. There was no response at all,
    until I disconnected her sync cable and then Windows popped up and told me
    it had installed new hardware. I don't know why, as it had already been
    connected before. Anyway, I've now synched mine too.

    But I can't go on like this. Even if we share one cradle, it seems I cannot
    sync at will just by switching logons; I have to log off the first ID before
    logging on to the other. This is crap. There must be an easier way. Can
    anybody help please?

    Lastly, I got a message up on my T3 that there was an update available for
    DTG and to go to the website. I did as instructed and was asked for my
    registration key, which I supplied. The site then told me that the key was a
    generic one and I would have to register to get a unique key. I tried to
    register and the site said it had run out of numbers. It gave a US contact
    number. I'm in the UK. What kind of crap is this? I just want my update. How
    do I get it? Once again, any ideas would be appreciated.

    If I can't get all this sorted out then I'm going to have to return these
    T3s as hopeless pieces of junk. Of course, if I can get it working as it
    should then they are wonderful pieces of kit. But at the moment......

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  2. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:59:53 -0000, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >1. buy a new laptop
    >2. buy a serial cradle for the T3 (it doesn't mate with the cradle for the
    >IIIx)
    >3. buy a PCMCIA card to provide a new USB(2) interface
    >4. give up on her laptop and sync both T3s with my laptop.

    Though I don't have a T3, I understand it has Bluetooth integrated.
    Why not see how much a Bluetooth PCMCIA card would cost, and try
    synching that way? Just a thought.
    --
    Mike Koenecke
    to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

  3. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I bought my girlfriend a T3 for Xmas to replace her poor old IIIx and as

    the
    > product looked so good I treated myself to one too. The experience so far
    > has been nothing short of miserable and if anyone can help I'd be very
    > grateful.
    >
    > Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is a
    > strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but it wrecks
    > the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar complaints. Is this
    > justification for a replacement?
    >
    > But that is nothing compared to the problems with hotsync. We each have a
    > laptop - she has a Dell Inspiron 7000 running Win Me. I have a Dell

    Inspiron
    > 8000 laptop running Win XP Pro. I have been completely unable to get a
    > successful sync on her laptop (her IIIx used to sync perfectly with its
    > serial connection). Also, the old laptop is perfectly happy using its USB
    > port for a mouse or a digital camera or an ADSL modem so I fail to see why
    > the Palm doesn't work.

    Screen is fine on mine but I had many problems synching, which were fixed
    when I unplugged my web cam (logitech), it seems to work OK now (Win98).

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

  4. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Mike Koenecke wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:59:53 -0000, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> 1. buy a new laptop
    >> 2. buy a serial cradle for the T3 (it doesn't mate with the cradle
    >> for the IIIx)
    >> 3. buy a PCMCIA card to provide a new USB(2) interface
    >> 4. give up on her laptop and sync both T3s with my laptop.

    > Though I don't have a T3, I understand it has Bluetooth integrated.
    > Why not see how much a Bluetooth PCMCIA card would cost, and try
    > synching that way? Just a thought.

    I have bluetooth in my laptop but there is no option to sync with bluetooth.
    Perhaps there is a 3rd party app to allow it. But then again, it's *my*
    laptop that has bluetooth, not my girlfriend's.

    As it happens I may have come up with a more acceptable solution but still
    not ideal. I have created a new profile in Outlook for her data. She can
    thus sync with Outlook, which quite frankly beats the pants off Palm
    Desktop, and we don't need to faff about with different Windows logons. It
    still doesn't get the data on her laptop but it's a bit tidier than the
    Heath Robinson solution I had concocted earlier.

    I'd still like a proper solution, without cost, to get her data onto her own
    laptop.

    Cheers,
    Tim.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  5. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Tumbleweed wrote:
    > "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought my girlfriend a T3 for Xmas to replace her poor old IIIx
    >> and as the product looked so good I treated myself to one too. The
    >> experience so far has been nothing short of miserable and if anyone
    >> can help I'd be very grateful.
    >>
    >> Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is
    >> a strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but
    >> it wrecks the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar
    >> complaints. Is this justification for a replacement?
    >>
    >> But that is nothing compared to the problems with hotsync. We each
    >> have a laptop - she has a Dell Inspiron 7000 running Win Me. I have
    >> a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop running Win XP Pro. I have been
    >> completely unable to get a successful sync on her laptop (her IIIx
    >> used to sync perfectly with its serial connection). Also, the old
    >> laptop is perfectly happy using its USB port for a mouse or a
    >> digital camera or an ADSL modem so I fail to see why the Palm
    >> doesn't work.
    >>

    > Screen is fine on mine but I had many problems synching, which were
    > fixed when I unplugged my web cam (logitech), it seems to work OK now
    > (Win98).

    On her laptop there is only one USB port and no hub so it is only ever one
    device at a time. My laptop has two USB ports but one is taken with a USB
    ADSL modem. That will disappear when I get a new wireless network within the
    next few days.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  6. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    In article ,
    _tim_dodd@hotmail.com says...
    > I bought my girlfriend a T3 for Xmas to replace her poor old IIIx and as the
    > product looked so good I treated myself to one too. The experience so far
    > has been nothing short of miserable and if anyone can help I'd be very
    > grateful.
    >
    > Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is a
    > strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but it wrecks
    > the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar complaints. Is this
    > justification for a replacement?
    >
    > But that is nothing compared to the problems with hotsync. We each have a
    > laptop - she has a Dell Inspiron 7000 running Win Me. I have a Dell Inspiron
    > 8000 laptop running Win XP Pro. I have been completely unable to get a
    > successful sync on her laptop (her IIIx used to sync perfectly with its
    > serial connection). Also, the old laptop is perfectly happy using its USB
    > port for a mouse or a digital camera or an ADSL modem so I fail to see why
    > the Palm doesn't work.
    >
    > I've trawled the web and Palm Support and it appears the choices are to
    > either...
    >
    > 1. buy a new laptop
    > 2. buy a serial cradle for the T3 (it doesn't mate with the cradle for the
    > IIIx)
    > 3. buy a PCMCIA card to provide a new USB(2) interface
    > 4. give up on her laptop and sync both T3s with my laptop.
    >
    > Option 1 is out of the question at the moment due to cost and as a matter of
    > principle.
    >
    > Option 2 is unsatisfactory due to extra expense and reduced transfer speed.
    >
    > Option 3 is unsatisfactory due to extra expense and the fact that that will
    > leave unsightly protrusions and may not even fit with the wireless card we
    > are getting soon.
    >
    > Option 4 - well I've tried this and am getting horrendous problems. I use
    > Outlook 2003 and I've been able to get my T3 set up and synched perfectly.
    > The problem is when I try to synch her T3. She doesn't use Outlook,
    > especially not on *my* laptop. But the sync software wants to either always
    > work with Outlook conduits or with Desktop conduits but not both. Thus she
    > can install new software but not backup her own data.
    >
    > I then tried setting up a new Windows user id on my laptop to see if I could
    > establish her own customised sync profile that way. I was surprised to find
    > that I had to reinstall the Desktop software again, even though we both have
    > administrator rights. Anyway, I did all this and tried connecting and
    > syncing her T3. After two blue screen crashes *under XP!* I finally got the
    > thing connected and talking and managed to do a sync.

    I gather she was syncing with the old Palm. My guess would
    be there is still stuff in the registry, maybe even during
    startup, that is interfering.

    I would suggest uninstalling the Palm software, the outlook
    conduit etc. Then start a registry search for all palm
    related entries and delete them. You might even use a
    utility like JV16 if you want to be really thorough.

    Then begin from scratch and reinstall.

    I just did this moving from a Visor Prism using Pocket
    Mirror to sync to Outlook and the installation went without
    a hitch - but first I cleaned out the registry.

    --
    Louise (louise2002@nyc.rr.com)

  7. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Louise wrote:
    > In article ,
    > _tim_dodd@hotmail.com says...

    > I gather she was syncing with the old Palm. My guess would
    > be there is still stuff in the registry, maybe even during
    > startup, that is interfering.
    >
    > I would suggest uninstalling the Palm software, the outlook
    > conduit etc. Then start a registry search for all palm
    > related entries and delete them. You might even use a
    > utility like JV16 if you want to be really thorough.
    >
    > Then begin from scratch and reinstall.
    >
    > I just did this moving from a Visor Prism using Pocket
    > Mirror to sync to Outlook and the installation went without
    > a hitch - but first I cleaned out the registry.

    Yes. I did try install/uninstall a few times and included a prune of the
    registry for one of the attempts but it made no difference. The error is the
    infamous 8006 error that has been reported before on various threads and in
    various forums. I've followed all the tips I've found but none work. So it's
    either invest in some sort of new hardware or sync with a different machine
    altogether.

    I am going to see if I can set up a "Network" sync using the USB cradle but
    need to look into the details of how to do that. I will post results back
    here when I've given it a go.

    Cheers,
    Tim.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  8. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:31:55 -0000, Tiny Tim said...

    > I have bluetooth in my laptop but there is no option to sync with bluetooth.

    Yes there is, read the manual, or the hotsync help.

    --
    Jim Anderson, Omphaloskepsis apprentice (@)
    ( 8(|) To e-mail me, just pull 'my_finger'

  9. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    > I am going to see if I can set up a "Network" sync using the USB cradle

    but
    > need to look into the details of how to do that. I will post results back
    > here when I've given it a go.

    Hint: http://www.softick.com/ppp/

  10. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Jim Anderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:31:55 -0000, Tiny Tim said...
    >
    >> I have bluetooth in my laptop but there is no option to sync with
    >> bluetooth.
    >>

    > Yes there is, read the manual, or the hotsync help.

    Ah, yes. I was assuming there would be a nice tickable option directly from
    the hotsync systray icon. Very silly of me not to realise I'd have to bend
    over backwards to set up a bluetooth network link. I thought bluetooth was
    supposed to make things easy ;-)

    Still trying to get the blessed PDA and laptop to chat with each other. They
    can see each other and I have set up a pairing but the PDA will not find the
    laptop in order to define the network connection. Going round in circles at
    the moment.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  11. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    > On her laptop there is only one USB port and no hub so it is only ever one
    > device at a time. My laptop has two USB ports but one is taken with a USB
    > ADSL modem. That will disappear when I get a new wireless network within

    the
    > next few days.

    I have a little 4 port hub hanging off the one USB port I have on my laptop
    (3 year old IBM thinkpad) and have 4 USB devices running off of it; mouse,
    keyboard, palm T|T, and a Canon S400. No problems. By the hub and stop
    bitching and whining about this.

  12. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    mistaroboto wrote:
    >> On her laptop there is only one USB port and no hub so it is only
    >> ever one device at a time. My laptop has two USB ports but one is
    >> taken with a USB ADSL modem. That will disappear when I get a new
    >> wireless network within the next few days.

    > I have a little 4 port hub hanging off the one USB port I have on my
    > laptop (3 year old IBM thinkpad) and have 4 USB devices running off
    > of it; mouse, keyboard, palm T|T, and a Canon S400. No problems. By
    > the hub and stop bitching and whining about this.

    First of all I am not bitching and whining; I mentioned it once. This is my
    first experience with a Palm and I've run into problems that simply should
    not exist. I am simply asking for help in how to overcome the problem. From
    everything that I've read, Palm do not have a proper solution. I really
    don't see why I should have to buy another piece of kit. I forgot to mention
    in my first post that the old laptop is also quite happy with a USB 1.1/2.0
    CD-RW plugged in too. It is only the Palm that is not working, when four
    other devices are absolutely fine, and one of those is notorious for being
    difficult.

    Secondly, most advice that I have read is that if you have a hub and get
    this problem you should try removing it. Does your T|T work when plugged
    directly into the laptop. My guess is that it would, and your hub is not a
    solution as there is no problem in the first place.

    Thirdly, the point of having a laptop is to have a neat, portable device,
    not something with wires sprouting from it in every direction. I use mine on
    my coffee table. I wouldn't want a 4-port hub hanging out of mine thank you.
    One of the reasons we have just ordered a wireless network is to remove
    wires and gain portability.

    I am going to pursue the bluetooth route, but I still haven't got that
    working yet. Trying to define the link as being to a network simply fails to
    allow me to select the bluetooth laptop. If I define the laptop as a "PC"
    then I can see it and create a paired connection. When I try to hotsync from
    the Palm it fires up hotsync on the laptop so they are talking, but it fails
    to go any further. I've tried various combinations of speed and flow control
    but hotsync will not complete. Next step is further web research..

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  13. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    For Bluetooth help check out this site: www.geekzone.co.nz

    From what it sounds like, you have the PC and PDA Paired but you don't have
    the network connection activated. There are guides on the site above that
    will walk you through the steps needed to make the net connection. Also, you
    don't really need a network connection you can use a BT serial connection,
    just make sure you check the Local Serial option for Hotsynch.

    On the other laptop that you want to connect the cradle to, make sure you've
    updated the USB drivers. It's possible that Win ME doesn't recognize Palm
    USB devices.

    Cheers
    TC

    > Jim Anderson wrote:
    > > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:31:55 -0000, Tiny Tim said...
    > >
    > >> I have bluetooth in my laptop but there is no option to sync with
    > >> bluetooth.
    > >>

    > > Yes there is, read the manual, or the hotsync help.

    > Ah, yes. I was assuming there would be a nice tickable option directly

    from
    > the hotsync systray icon. Very silly of me not to realise I'd have to bend
    > over backwards to set up a bluetooth network link. I thought bluetooth was
    > supposed to make things easy ;-)
    >
    > Still trying to get the blessed PDA and laptop to chat with each other.

    They
    > can see each other and I have set up a pairing but the PDA will not find

    the
    > laptop in order to define the network connection. Going round in circles

    at
    > the moment.
    >
    > --
    > Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    > For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  14. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Tiny Tim wrote:

    > Secondly, most advice that I have read is that if you have a hub and get
    > this problem you should try removing it. Does your T|T work when plugged
    > directly into the laptop. My guess is that it would, and your hub is not a
    > solution as there is no problem in the first place.

    Surprise surprise, there are a lot of problems with various USB
    implementations including hosts. That could easily include your
    girlfriend's laptop. I've run into any number of problems like this, and
    many were solved by adding a decent-quality hub to the chain or removing
    a cheap hub from it. Will it help with yours? I have no idea what the
    Inspiration 7000 is like.

    If you want to whine and bitch about USB problems, why don't you go
    complain to the people responsible? In this case, that would be Dell.
    They might even have a workaround available.

    You know the source of your problem -- the laptop's USB interface (or
    possible OS install) -- so stop looking elsewhere in the chain. You're
    coming across as a spoiled whiner with no grip on the reality of computers.

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."

  15. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Tiny Tim wrote:

    > Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is a
    > strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but it wrecks
    > the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar complaints. Is this
    > justification for a replacement?

    One more comment on this: Have you adjusted the screen brightness? I
    find my T3 has a blue cast when at lower brightness levels.

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."

  16. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Steven Fisher wrote:
    > Tiny Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Secondly, most advice that I have read is that if you have a hub and
    >> get this problem you should try removing it. Does your T|T work when
    >> plugged directly into the laptop. My guess is that it would, and
    >> your hub is not a solution as there is no problem in the first place.

    > Surprise surprise, there are a lot of problems with various USB
    > implementations including hosts. That could easily include your
    > girlfriend's laptop. I've run into any number of problems like this,
    > and many were solved by adding a decent-quality hub to the chain or
    > removing
    > a cheap hub from it. Will it help with yours? I have no idea what the
    > Inspiration 7000 is like.
    >
    > If you want to whine and bitch about USB problems, why don't you go
    > complain to the people responsible? In this case, that would be Dell.
    > They might even have a workaround available.
    >
    > You know the source of your problem -- the laptop's USB interface (or
    > possible OS install) -- so stop looking elsewhere in the chain. You're
    > coming across as a spoiled whiner with no grip on the reality of
    > computers.

    It may be a Dell problem and it may not. It just seems odd that the Dell
    works perfectly well with....
    - a Microsoft optical mouse
    - an Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch ADSL modem
    - a Canon digital camera
    - a Sony digital camcorder
    - an Iomega USB 2.0 CD-RW
    but will not work with the Palm.

    I'm not the only one with these problems, as Google will show, and the
    common culprit is the Palm USB cradle. On the PC side the hardware can vary
    as can the OS. This is not a Dell specific problem as far as I can see. It
    is a Palm USB specific problem.

    Google example here -
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...m%2Busb%2B8006

    Another example here - my situation and attempted remedies are exactly as in
    this thread, all with the same result of no success -
    http://www.palmonecity.com/forums/showthread/t-909.html

    and a great thread here -
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=17415

    If the Dell really is the problem then fair enough, but I remain to be
    convinced. In any event, the Dell is well established and works with just
    about anything I've thrown at it over the last five years, whereas the Palm
    is fairly new. I think Palm should ensure they have adequate backward
    compatibility rather than Dell building their hardware for technology five
    years hence.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  17. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Steven Fisher wrote:
    > Tiny Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Firstly, the display on one is pretty good but on the other there is
    >> a strong blue cast. This is bearable at best for every day use but
    >> it wrecks the appearance of photographs. I've seen other similar
    >> complaints. Is this justification for a replacement?

    > One more comment on this: Have you adjusted the screen brightness? I
    > find my T3 has a blue cast when at lower brightness levels.

    I have the two PDAs side by side and regardless of brightness setting, one
    is extremely blue while the other looks perfectly white. The "feature" is
    really only significant in a direct comparison as once viewed independently
    the eye tends to adjust. Nonetheless, pictures look very cool and
    unwelcoming on the "blue" screened T3 whereas they have a pleasant warmth
    when viewed on the neutral screen.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

  18. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Tiny Tim wrote:

    > It may be a Dell problem and it may not. It just seems odd that the Dell
    > works perfectly well with....
    > - a Microsoft optical mouse
    > - an Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch ADSL modem
    > - a Canon digital camera
    > - a Sony digital camcorder
    > - an Iomega USB 2.0 CD-RW
    > but will not work with the Palm.

    Not all that surprising. I've found Palms a lot more demanding. The only
    one there I'd expect might fail is the USB 2.0 CD-RW. Is it really
    operating as a USB 2.0 device?

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."

  19. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Tiny Tim wrote:

    > I have the two PDAs side by side and regardless of brightness setting, one
    > is extremely blue while the other looks perfectly white. The "feature" is
    > really only significant in a direct comparison as once viewed independently
    > the eye tends to adjust. Nonetheless, pictures look very cool and
    > unwelcoming on the "blue" screened T3 whereas they have a pleasant warmth
    > when viewed on the neutral screen.

    That's too bad. I'd suggest at least trying to get it replaced.

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."

  20. Re: New T3 user - big problems - need help please (rant follows)

    Steven Fisher wrote:
    > Tiny Tim wrote:
    >
    >> It may be a Dell problem and it may not. It just seems odd that the
    >> Dell works perfectly well with....
    >> - a Microsoft optical mouse
    >> - an Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch ADSL modem
    >> - a Canon digital camera
    >> - a Sony digital camcorder
    >> - an Iomega USB 2.0 CD-RW
    >> but will not work with the Palm.

    > Not all that surprising. I've found Palms a lot more demanding. The
    > only one there I'd expect might fail is the USB 2.0 CD-RW. Is it
    > really operating as a USB 2.0 device?

    No, it's not operating at USB 2.0 speeds, but it does drop back to 1.1 and
    works fine like that, albeit slowly. The Speedtouch ADSL modem has a
    reputation for being troublesome and seldom works with VIA chipsets due to
    power demands but the Dell has never faltered.

    Having said all that I did find a rather disturbing set of comments on a
    Dell forum about a number of USB problems affecting not only Dell but
    Toshiba and others. I'm not convinced my girlfriend's laptop falls into any
    of the categories mentioned but I'm not 100% sure. Here's a link...

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...palm+usb#M2375

    or http://makeashorterlink.com/?U15E52AE6

    So I'm not going to moan further about Palm. It's just a shame the Palm
    support people aren't more aware of these sort of issues. I've had to do way
    too much futile uninstalling, registry clearing and reinstalling in the last
    couple of days. If Palm kept a hardware incompatibility list that would be
    so much easier, Or why not just supply the cradle with USB and Serial
    terminations as standard.

    Anyway, I've now got synch over Bluetooth working so that makes things
    easier too.