Help needed choosing a PDA - Handheld

This is a discussion on Help needed choosing a PDA - Handheld ; My trusty Psion Series 3 has finally died and I am looking to replace it. The main functions I need are to be able to sync with Outlook so that I can carry my contacts and calendar with me. The ...

  1. Help needed choosing a PDA

    My trusty Psion Series 3 has finally died and I am looking to replace it.

    The main functions I need are to be able to sync with Outlook so that I can
    carry my contacts and calendar with me. The ability to read and/or edit
    Word/Excel files would be good. Email possibly useful too.

    The Palm series seems to be a fairly good bet. I am looking to spend around
    300UKP so I would be looking at the Tungsten T3 or maybe the Tungsten C. One
    has Bluetooth the other has WiFi - not sure which would be best.

    Would the keyboard of the Tungsten C be a benefit (it looks a bit small) or
    is the handwriting recognition any good? (Most of the data entry would be
    done on a desktop PC then synced.

    Can anybody offer any advice? Maybe I shouldn't be looking at Palm at all,
    but I have had some bad experience with Microsoft mobile stuff...

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. Re: Help needed choosing a PDA

    I'm in the same boat almost, not replacing but starting with.

    I'm going to check out the Sony Clie TG 50 which goes for $300. My needs
    are, linking with Lotus Organizer for appointments and anniversaries. I'd
    also like a link to my address book which is Parsons Address Book but I
    doubt any will do that.for Parsons is no longer supported nor offered.

    --
    Don
    --------

    "Steve" wrote in message
    > My trusty Psion Series 3 has finally died and I am looking to replace it.
    >
    > The main functions I need are to be able to sync with Outlook so that I

    can
    > carry my contacts and calendar with me. The ability to read and/or edit
    > Word/Excel files would be good. Email possibly useful too.
    >
    > The Palm series seems to be a fairly good bet. I am looking to spend

    around
    > 300UKP so I would be looking at the Tungsten T3 or maybe the Tungsten C.

    One
    > has Bluetooth the other has WiFi - not sure which would be best.
    >
    > Would the keyboard of the Tungsten C be a benefit (it looks a bit small)

    or
    > is the handwriting recognition any good? (Most of the data entry would be
    > done on a desktop PC then synced.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any advice? Maybe I shouldn't be looking at Palm at all,
    > but I have had some bad experience with Microsoft mobile stuff...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    ---

  3. Re: Help needed choosing a PDA

    Steve,

    Steve wrote:
    > My trusty Psion Series 3 has finally died and I am looking to
    > replace it.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any advice? [...]

    I had a Psion Series 3c which died some month ago after 7 years
    because of broken display cable & hinges. I had been looking for a
    replacement for a longer time before this happened and there still is
    nothing comparable regarding the rock-solid OS, comprehensive
    applications and with a keyboard.

    As I didn't want to invest into some niche product not officially sold
    and supported in this area like the Sharp Zaurus line running Linux, I
    decided to go for something without keyboard, because the PalmOS
    models with keyboards all have the keyboard in portrait mode, instead
    of landscape which makes them unusable for me (too small keys, too
    less space between keys).

    Finally I bought a Palm Tungsten T2 (T3 wasn't existing at that time).
    Today I would most likely go for a T3. The reasons for buying a T2
    were as follows:

    - metal case
    - bright screen
    - acceptable though unfortunately not landscape screen resolution
    (320x320, T3 is definitely better here)
    - plenty of RAM (32 MB) instead of 16 or 8 MB on older Palm's
    - SD card instead of more expensive Memory-Stick
    - DocsToGo Office-Software for wordprocessing, spreadsheet
    (as a replacement for Psions Word & Sheet) included
    (a value of about $50-70)
    - no additional camera and other unnecessary stuff

    As the primitive inbuild applications were nowhere comparable to the
    Psion Agenda, Data etc. I had to immediately replace most of it by
    good shareware, e.g. Datebk5 as Agenda replacement, HanDBase as Data
    replacement, ShadowPlan as NotePad Deluxe replacement and iSilo as
    TCReader replacement each at US$20 - $30.

    Later I added a good town map, some dictionaries, calculator
    emulators and other stuff, that didn't exist on the Psion.

    Regards,

    Guido

+ Reply to Thread