bluetooth vs wi fi? - Handheld

This is a discussion on bluetooth vs wi fi? - Handheld ; Hello, What is the difference between bluetooth and wi fi? I am in the market of a PDA? Narrow down to the new Axim X3i and the HP iPAC h1940. Any comments? David...

  1. bluetooth vs wi fi?

    Hello,

    What is the difference between bluetooth and wi fi? I am in the market of a
    PDA? Narrow down to the new Axim X3i and the HP iPAC h1940. Any comments?

    David

  2. Re: bluetooth vs wi fi?

    "David" wrote in message news:<_wrDb.6888$i55.684@fed1read06>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is the difference between bluetooth and wi fi? I am in the market of a
    > PDA? Narrow down to the new Axim X3i and the HP iPAC h1940. Any comments?

    Bluetooth is for connecting your PDA to other gadgets without cables.
    You can use it as a network connection (e.g. for connecting to the
    internet) but it is not ideal for this.
    + Low power, i.e. longer battery life
    + Can connect to Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, GPS receivers etc.
    - Low speed

    Wifi is for connecting to a network e.g. a LAN. If you want internet
    access at decent speeds, this is what you need.
    + High speed
    + In the cities there are an increasing number of Wifi hotspots.
    - Somewhat more power hungry

    Both tecnologies have their place. It all depends on what you need.

    Ebbe

  3. Re: bluetooth vs wi fi?

    Ebbe Kristensen wrote:
    > + Low power, i.e. longer battery life
    > + Can connect to Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, GPS receivers etc.
    > - Low speed

    Also, BT is very sensitive to 'electronic noise'. Where there are a lot
    of computers (I mean, a _lot_) the signal degrade very fast.

    Davide

    --
    | life suddenly made much more sense, the day i fully grokked that
    | people are stupid. -- Frank Sweetser

  4. Re: bluetooth vs wi fi?

    Davide Bianchi wrote in message news:...

    > Also, BT is very sensitive to 'electronic noise'. Where there are a lot
    > of computers (I mean, a _lot_) the signal degrade very fast.

    The reason why BT is hit harder by EMI is that BT transmits at much
    lower power levels so the signal is drowned by the noise whereas WiFi
    with its higher signal strength gets through. However, raising the
    signal strength would mean higher power drain leading to lower usage
    time or bigger batteries. And since ultra-portability is one of the
    main strenghts of BT devices, this is not going to change.

    But the REAL culprit here is of course those badly shielded
    computers/cables/whatever...

    Ebbe

+ Reply to Thread