e805 vs 4355 - Handheld

This is a discussion on e805 vs 4355 - Handheld ; I am narrowing down my choices for a PocketPC. I had decided on the iPaq 5555 or the 2215.... then I saw the Tosh e805, which I thought was great due to the large amount of memory, CF and SD ...

  1. e805 vs 4355

    I am narrowing down my choices for a PocketPC. I had decided on the iPaq
    5555 or the 2215.... then I saw the Tosh e805, which I thought was great due
    to the large amount of memory, CF and SD card slots, and what appears to be
    a sweet display.... then I saw the new 4000 series iPaqs, specifically the
    one with the built in keyboard.... the 4355.

    I think it is pretty much down to the Tosh e805 vs. iPaq 4355. Can anyone
    offer a comparison of the two after using or handling both?

    My concerns are:

    Input: Handwriting recognition...how good is it vs keyboard. I think I
    would prefer a keyboard...how good is the built in?
    Display: relative clarity, resolution etc.
    Memory: Is 64 MB enough? I carry a good amount of reference docs and like
    to edit documentation on my handheld devices.

    Any comments?

    Ed

  2. Re: e805 vs 4355

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:34:35 +0100, Ed wrote
    (in message
    <%pyCb.262$im.155@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>):

    I haven't had any hands-on experience with any of the two you're
    looking for, but may be this will help you anyhow.

    > Input: Handwriting recognition...how good is it vs keyboard. I think I
    > would prefer a keyboard...how good is the built in?

    In the reviews I've read, the discussion is that the built in
    keyboard is ok, but not as good as additional thumbboard for
    non-keyboard devices.

    > Memory: Is 64 MB enough? I carry a good amount of reference docs and like
    > to edit documentation on my handheld devices.

    The main thing about memory is that you can always expand
    storage memory (by adding a memory card), but you can never
    expand program memory, since that is taken from internal RAM
    only. So if you'd be able to install your additional programs
    mainly on a memory card, there usually should be enough RAM left
    in a 64 MB device. I never encounter any problems using my 64 MB
    2215, and I do use a lot of different programs and store large
    files.

    --
    Marlof Bregonje
    Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices [http://www.microsoft.com/mobile]