Zaurus and 256MB SD Card - Handheld

This is a discussion on Zaurus and 256MB SD Card - Handheld ; I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550 handheld. When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info shows it available. However, when I try to install packages to it I am told ...

  1. Zaurus and 256MB SD Card

    I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550 handheld.
    When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info shows it available.
    However, when I try to install packages to it I am told "Target storage is
    not available."

    My Zaurus specs:

    Linux Kernel 2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix
    ROM: 2.38

    Has anyone else had this problem? What can I tweak to make this thing see
    the SD card as rw?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Zaurus and 256MB SD Card

    Larry Snider wrote:

    > I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550
    > handheld. When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info shows it
    > available. However, when I try to install packages to it I am told "Target
    > storage is not available."

    Is it saying that it cant write at all to the SD card or just that it cant
    install packages to the SD card?
    IIRC you need one of the alternative roms to be able to install packages to
    removable media.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom

  3. Re: Zaurus and 256MB SD Card

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:17:20 -0500, Larry Snider wrote:
    > I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550 handheld.
    > When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info shows it available.
    > However, when I try to install packages to it I am told "Target storage is
    > not available."
    >
    > My Zaurus specs:
    >
    > Linux Kernel 2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix
    > ROM: 2.38
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? What can I tweak to make this thing see
    > the SD card as rw?

    Get ROM v3.1 at http://www.myzaurus.com/. Not only do you get new
    versions of various software (Opera 6 is MUCH better), but various
    hardware support is much better too.

    Mind you read the docs before flashing ROM, though. Backup is
    essential!

    Bjørn
    --
    Bjørn Tore Sund "When in fear, and when in doubt;
    bjornts@ii.uib.no Run in circles, scream and shout!"

  4. Re: Zaurus and 256MB SD Card

    "Bjørn Tore Sund" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:17:20 -0500, Larry Snider wrote:
    > > I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550

    handheld.
    > > When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info shows it

    available.
    > > However, when I try to install packages to it I am told "Target storage

    is
    > > not available."
    > >
    > > My Zaurus specs:
    > >
    > > Linux Kernel 2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix
    > > ROM: 2.38
    > >
    > > Has anyone else had this problem? What can I tweak to make this thing

    see
    > > the SD card as rw?

    > Get ROM v3.1 at http://www.myzaurus.com/. Not only do you get new
    > versions of various software (Opera 6 is MUCH better), but various
    > hardware support is much better too.

    I have yet to try to surf the web with my Zaurus since I just bought the
    unit from a friend at work a few days ago.

    I installed the 3.1 ROM AND exchanged the SD card for another one and I
    still have the same problem.

    The weird thing is that when I first installed the SD card, I checked the
    mount and it indicated rw and wrote a few folders ot the card BUT when I
    unmounted the card and re-inserted it, the system saw it as ro. I repeated
    the procedure but this time I had to manually mount it because it was not
    auto-detected. The next time I did this, the system didn't mount it and
    manually trying to mount it produced an error saying illegal argument.

    In my frustration I performed a reboot and my system crashed wiping out my
    superblock. A full reset cured that problem but now I am weary of the
    device.

    > Mind you read the docs before flashing ROM, though. Backup is
    > essential!

    They were invaluable.

    Now. Has any heard this problem before? :-)

  5. Re: Zaurus and 256MB SD Card

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:34:51 -0500, Larry Snider wrote:

    > > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:17:20 -0500, Larry Snider wrote:

    > > > I just purchased a 256MB Lexar Media SD card for my Zaurus SL-550
    > > > handheld. When I insert the card, it is detected and System Info
    > > > shows it available.
    > > > However, when I try to install packages to it I am told "Target
    > > > storage is not available."

    > I installed the 3.1 ROM AND exchanged the SD card for another one and I
    > still have the same problem.

    Odd. I only have a 128Mb Sandisk myself. Up until ROM 2.38 I had
    problems with file system corruption, but no problems at all after
    that. Have you tried formatting the card?

    > The weird thing is that when I first installed the SD card, I checked the
    > mount and it indicated rw and wrote a few folders ot the card BUT when I
    > unmounted the card and re-inserted it, the system saw it as ro. I repeated
    > the procedure but this time I had to manually mount it because it was not
    > auto-detected. The next time I did this, the system didn't mount it and
    > manually trying to mount it produced an error saying illegal argument.

    What happens when you reboot with the card in the drive? Did you
    unmount from the command line or using the icons?

    > Now. Has any heard this problem before? :-)

    Google pops up a few cases of problems with the Sandisk 256Mb Sandisk
    cards, while Panasonic and Sony works. On the other hand, reformatting
    seems to help where it's been tried.

    -BT
    --
    Bjørn Tore Sund "When in fear, and when in doubt;
    bjornts@ii.uib.no Run in circles, scream and shout!"
    Interaction! - Anonymous
    http://www.interaction.worldcon.org.uk/

+ Reply to Thread