Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi? - Handheld ; Hello, I bought a Zaurus SL5500 this January and I just acquired a Netgear MA701 CF WiFi card couple days ago. I can ping to/from Zaurus and I can also ftp to my Linux/Solaris/iBook from Zaurus over WiFi. I am ...

  1. Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    Hello,

    I bought a Zaurus SL5500 this January and I just acquired a Netgear
    MA701 CF WiFi card couple days ago.

    I can ping to/from Zaurus and I can also ftp to my Linux/Solaris/iBook
    from Zaurus over WiFi.

    I am not able to ftp into Zaurus.

    % ftp -P 4242
    ftp> open ip_address_of_Zaurus

    It says:
    Connected to ip_address_of_Zaurus
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

    I am able to ftp into Zaurus from my iBook via USB. The reason I want to
    ftp over WiFi is that I don't want to use the cumbersome cradle.

    Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    Please help.
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

  2. Re: Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    "Adrian Hoe" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a Zaurus SL5500 this January and I just acquired a Netgear
    > MA701 CF WiFi card couple days ago.
    >
    > I can ping to/from Zaurus and I can also ftp to my Linux/Solaris/iBook
    > from Zaurus over WiFi.
    >
    > I am not able to ftp into Zaurus.
    >
    > % ftp -P 4242
    > ftp> open ip_address_of_Zaurus
    >
    > It says:
    > Connected to ip_address_of_Zaurus
    > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
    >
    > I am able to ftp into Zaurus from my iBook via USB. The reason I want to
    > ftp over WiFi is that I don't want to use the cumbersome cradle.
    >
    > Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    Hi,

    I think it is because as of ROM 2.38 that port was blocked for security
    reasons.

    You can install a ftp server if you need that functionality

    --

    There are 10 types of people in this world...

  3. Re: Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    JP wrote:
    > "Adrian Hoe" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I bought a Zaurus SL5500 this January and I just acquired a Netgear
    >>MA701 CF WiFi card couple days ago.
    >>
    >>I can ping to/from Zaurus and I can also ftp to my Linux/Solaris/iBook
    >>from Zaurus over WiFi.
    >>
    >>I am not able to ftp into Zaurus.
    >>
    >>% ftp -P 4242
    >>ftp> open ip_address_of_Zaurus
    >>
    >>It says:
    >>Connected to ip_address_of_Zaurus
    >>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
    >>
    >>I am able to ftp into Zaurus from my iBook via USB. The reason I want to
    >> ftp over WiFi is that I don't want to use the cumbersome cradle.
    >>
    >>Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    > Hi,
    >
    > I think it is because as of ROM 2.38 that port was blocked for security
    > reasons.
    >
    > You can install a ftp server if you need that functionality

    Hi,

    How can I find out the version of ROM? And, where can I download a ftp
    server for Zaurus? Will it interfere with the built-in ftp of factory
    version Zaurus?
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

  4. Re: Why can't I FTP into Zaurus over WiFi?

    Adrian Hoe wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > How can I find out the version of ROM? And, where can I download a ftp
    > server for Zaurus? Will it interfere with the built-in ftp of factory
    > version Zaurus?

    don't even bother. Your ROM should come with openssh installed (I know
    OZ does, can't remember about the Sharp ROM.) If it doesn't, download it
    from here: http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showapps.php?cat=8
    Use sftp, which is part of the openssh package. Much more secure.
    If for some reason you must use the insecure ftp, you can get a server
    from the above link as well.

+ Reply to Thread