re; syncing with linux - Handheld

This is a discussion on re; syncing with linux - Handheld ; I went to this site and it specifically states it will not sync with new roms. ?? It says use version that comes with the Zaurus, but that is the windows version, right? So this isn't a solution. [rh]...

  1. re; syncing with linux

    I went to this site and it specifically states it will not sync with new
    roms. ?? It says use version that comes with the Zaurus, but that is the
    windows version, right? So this isn't a solution. [rh]

  2. Re: re; syncing with linux

    Bob Hyam wrote:
    > I went to this site and it specifically states it will not sync with new
    > roms. ?? It says use version that comes with the Zaurus, but that is the
    > windows version, right? So this isn't a solution. [rh]

    I've synched my Z to SuSE, RedHat, and Mandrake. I use the OpenZaurus
    ROM, though, not the Sharp ROM. As far as I know, you can synch the
    default Sharp ROM as well to the TrollTech QTopia desktop, though I've
    never tried it.
    BTW -- if you're just looking for a pda, then buy a palm -- there's more
    support for synching with Mozilla Mail and Entourage. A Z can be used as
    a pda, but it's more of a handheld computer -- comes with a terminal and
    the usual networking software. Heck, I've heard of people running
    MySQL on them. But the Mail, Contact and other pda apps aren't as
    user-friendly as on the palm.

  3. Re: re; syncing with linux

    Daryn wrote:

    > Bob Hyam wrote:
    >> I went to this site and it specifically states it will not sync with new
    >> roms. ?? It says use version that comes with the Zaurus, but that is the
    >> windows version, right? So this isn't a solution. [rh]

    If you want to sync with linux and your 5600 you need to use OpenZaurus,
    after playing with for the last 24 hours, the version that seems to be
    running the sweetest is 3.3.4 and can be found here

    http://openzaurus.org/official/experimental/poodle/

    > I've synched my Z to SuSE, RedHat, and Mandrake. I use the OpenZaurus
    > ROM, though, not the Sharp ROM. As far as I know, you can synch the
    > default Sharp ROM as well to the TrollTech QTopia desktop, though I've
    > never tried it.

    the Sharp roms will only sync with Qtopia 1.5.4, which is windows only.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom

  4. Re: re; syncing with linux

    Daryn wrote:
    > Bob Hyam wrote:
    >
    >> I went to this site and it specifically states it will not sync with new
    >> roms. ?? It says use version that comes with the Zaurus, but that is the
    >> windows version, right? So this isn't a solution. [rh]

    > I've synched my Z to SuSE, RedHat, and Mandrake. I use the OpenZaurus
    > ROM, though, not the Sharp ROM. As far as I know, you can synch the
    > default Sharp ROM as well to the TrollTech QTopia desktop, though I've
    > never tried it.
    > BTW -- if you're just looking for a pda, then buy a palm -- there's more
    > support for synching with Mozilla Mail and Entourage. A Z can be used as
    > a pda, but it's more of a handheld computer -- comes with a terminal and
    > the usual networking software. Heck, I've heard of people running MySQL
    > on them. But the Mail, Contact and other pda apps aren't as
    > user-friendly as on the palm.

    I've been reading a lot about Qtopia Desktop for syncing with Linux
    boxes. But I can't find it for download. Could you provide a link to
    download Qtopia Desktop?

    Thanks.
    --
    Adrian Hoe
    m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

  5. Re: re; syncing with linux

    Adrian Hoe wrote:

    > I've been reading a lot about Qtopia Desktop for syncing with Linux
    > boxes. But I can't find it for download. Could you provide a link to
    > download Qtopia Desktop?

    Hmmm, www.google.co.uk, qtopia desktop, Results 1 - 10 of about 12,400.
    Search took 0.11 seconds.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom
    My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....

+ Reply to Thread