Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off - Handheld

This is a discussion on Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off - Handheld ; Problem: Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on until it is placed back in a cradle. This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit. Note Unit is fully powered. The ...

  1. Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    Problem:
    Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    until it is placed back in a cradle.

    This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.

    Note
    Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.

    Problem
    Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.

    Workaround
    Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.

    Effects
    Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    Antenna is turned off.

    NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.

    Note
    I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    having the problem.

    Have you heard of this issue before?
    If yes, how did you resolve the issue?

    M. Tom Shim
    Systems Administrator
    Hunton & Williams LLP
    Charlotte, NC
    tom_shim@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    We have exactly the same problem/symptoms with whole bunch of Blackberry
    model R957-2-5 units. The only way to bring them back online is to put
    them on the cradle or to reset them by insterting the paper clip in the
    hole at the back of the unit. It is very frustrating, and the wireless
    vendor we purchased the Blackberries from is not helpful at all. I would
    greatly appreciate if anyone can shed more light into this. Is it
    possible that RIM got the whole batch of 957's that have some serious
    bug???

    Thanks.

    tom_Shim@hotmail.com (Tom Shim) wrote in
    news:1c09cbfd.0312091220.34373ee1@posting.google.c om:

    > Problem:
    > Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    > until it is placed back in a cradle.
    >
    > This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.
    >
    > Note
    > Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.
    >
    > Problem
    > Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.
    >
    > Workaround
    > Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.
    >
    > Effects
    > Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    > Antenna is turned off.
    >
    > NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    > emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.
    >
    > Note
    > I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    > having the problem.
    >
    > Have you heard of this issue before?
    > If yes, how did you resolve the issue?
    >
    > M. Tom Shim
    > Systems Administrator
    > Hunton & Williams LLP
    > Charlotte, NC
    > tom_shim@hotmail.com

  3. Re: Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    Count me in too. Blackberry seems to shut off when carried on my
    belt. Nothing short of the master reset or docking it will restore
    it.

    Has anyone had contact with RIM about this problem? Anybody have a
    tech support agreement with them for help?

    tom_Shim@hotmail.com (Tom Shim) wrote in message news:<1c09cbfd.0312091220.34373ee1@posting.google.com>...
    > Problem:
    > Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    > until it is placed back in a cradle.
    >
    > This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.
    >
    > Note
    > Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.
    >
    > Problem
    > Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.
    >
    > Workaround
    > Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.
    >
    > Effects
    > Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    > Antenna is turned off.
    >
    > NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    > emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.
    >
    > Note
    > I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    > having the problem.
    >
    > Have you heard of this issue before?
    > If yes, how did you resolve the issue?
    >
    > M. Tom Shim
    > Systems Administrator
    > Hunton & Williams LLP
    > Charlotte, NC
    > tom_shim@hotmail.com

  4. Re: Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    Me too; had the same problem. Blackberry is not offering any rebates
    or exchange for their product defects. People use Blackberry have
    critical need for it. If some doctor uses this and one of their
    patients is dead because they could not get a hold of them... good
    case for a class action suit.

    peinrein@optonline.net (Paul) wrote in message news:<502bda27.0312130510.55d7062e@posting.google.com>...
    > Count me in too. Blackberry seems to shut off when carried on my
    > belt. Nothing short of the master reset or docking it will restore
    > it.
    >
    > Has anyone had contact with RIM about this problem? Anybody have a
    > tech support agreement with them for help?
    >

    > tom_Shim@hotmail.com (Tom Shim) wrote in message news:<1c09cbfd.0312091220.34373ee1@posting.google.com>...
    > > Problem:
    > > Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    > > until it is placed back in a cradle.
    > >
    > > This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.
    > >
    > > Note
    > > Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.
    > >
    > > Problem
    > > Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.
    > >
    > > Workaround
    > > Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.
    > >
    > > Effects
    > > Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    > > Antenna is turned off.
    > >
    > > NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    > > emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.
    > >
    > > Note
    > > I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    > > having the problem.
    > >
    > > Have you heard of this issue before?
    > > If yes, how did you resolve the issue?
    > >
    > > M. Tom Shim
    > > Systems Administrator
    > > Hunton & Williams LLP
    > > Charlotte, NC
    > > tom_shim@hotmail.com

  5. Re: Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    I have had the same problem here since December. So far no luck. It
    is good to know I am not alone. The other blackberry users look at me
    like I am crazy when I tell them this is happening.

    b.c@consultant.com (ben @ milrose) wrote in message news:<772a6d17.0401080903.32aea745@posting.google.com>...
    > Me too; had the same problem. Blackberry is not offering any rebates
    > or exchange for their product defects. People use Blackberry have
    > critical need for it. If some doctor uses this and one of their
    > patients is dead because they could not get a hold of them... good
    > case for a class action suit.
    >
    > peinrein@optonline.net (Paul) wrote in message news:<502bda27.0312130510.55d7062e@posting.google.com>...
    > > Count me in too. Blackberry seems to shut off when carried on my
    > > belt. Nothing short of the master reset or docking it will restore
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had contact with RIM about this problem? Anybody have a
    > > tech support agreement with them for help?
    > >

    > > tom_Shim@hotmail.com (Tom Shim) wrote in message news:<1c09cbfd.0312091220.34373ee1@posting.google.com>...
    > > > Problem:
    > > > Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    > > > until it is placed back in a cradle.
    > > >
    > > > This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.
    > > >
    > > > Note
    > > > Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.
    > > >
    > > > Problem
    > > > Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.
    > > >
    > > > Workaround
    > > > Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.
    > > >
    > > > Effects
    > > > Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    > > > Antenna is turned off.
    > > >
    > > > NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    > > > emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.
    > > >
    > > > Note
    > > > I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    > > > having the problem.
    > > >
    > > > Have you heard of this issue before?
    > > > If yes, how did you resolve the issue?
    > > >
    > > > M. Tom Shim
    > > > Systems Administrator
    > > > Hunton & Williams LLP
    > > > Charlotte, NC
    > > > tom_shim@hotmail.com

  6. Re: Blackberry 957 suddenly turns off shuts off

    Good news. Well sort of...

    According to Blackberry support the RIM 957 and RIM 857 can go into
    storage mode without user interaction due to static electricity. This
    happens in dry winter environments. Since most of us noticed this
    starting in December I am betting that would be the case.

    This is becuase the static electricty trigger circuitry designed to
    protect the battery.

    The offical resolution is to perform a hard reset or place it in it's
    cradle. Guess we already knew that.

    b.c@consultant.com (ben @ milrose) wrote in message news:<772a6d17.0401080903.32aea745@posting.google.com>...
    > Me too; had the same problem. Blackberry is not offering any rebates
    > or exchange for their product defects. People use Blackberry have
    > critical need for it. If some doctor uses this and one of their
    > patients is dead because they could not get a hold of them... good
    > case for a class action suit.
    >
    > peinrein@optonline.net (Paul) wrote in message news:<502bda27.0312130510.55d7062e@posting.google.com>...
    > > Count me in too. Blackberry seems to shut off when carried on my
    > > belt. Nothing short of the master reset or docking it will restore
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had contact with RIM about this problem? Anybody have a
    > > tech support agreement with them for help?
    > >

    > > tom_Shim@hotmail.com (Tom Shim) wrote in message news:<1c09cbfd.0312091220.34373ee1@posting.google.com>...
    > > > Problem:
    > > > Blackberry R957M-2-5 randomly shuts off and does not turn back on
    > > > until it is placed back in a cradle.
    > > >
    > > > This has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks on the same unit.
    > > >
    > > > Note
    > > > Unit is fully powered. The battery is not dead.
    > > >
    > > > Problem
    > > > Blackberry shuts down and does not turn back on.
    > > >
    > > > Workaround
    > > > Place Blackberry unit in a cradle and it will turn on automatically.
    > > >
    > > > Effects
    > > > Date & time are reset to Jan. 1st 1998.
    > > > Antenna is turned off.
    > > >
    > > > NOTE: If the antenna is turned back on it will start getting the
    > > > emails correctly and stamp it with what ever time the unit is set to.
    > > >
    > > > Note
    > > > I thought I just had a bad Blackberry unit but other users are also
    > > > having the problem.
    > > >
    > > > Have you heard of this issue before?
    > > > If yes, how did you resolve the issue?
    > > >
    > > > M. Tom Shim