Oops! This is the real post. - Handheld

This is a discussion on Oops! This is the real post. - Handheld ; Sorry. I am considering purchasing a handheld. However, I don't have a clue what to consider. I am hoping folks here can help me understand the elements. My needs: 1. Scheduling 20 - 30 appointments per week. 2. Brief notes ...

  1. Oops! This is the real post.

    Sorry.

    I am considering purchasing a handheld. However, I don't have a clue what
    to consider. I am hoping folks here can help me understand the elements.
    My needs:
    1. Scheduling 20 - 30 appointments per week.
    2. Brief notes (standard paragraph or two) for each appointment.
    3. 'Rolodex' type database (L_name, F_name, phone, fax, etc) for approx.
    1000 records.
    4. Ability to backup the information to a desktop pc and print out the
    schedule.
    5. 'To Do' list.
    6. One or two other simple databases.
    6. There might be other uses that I have not considered?

    Any comments about how to go about the process of selecting the right
    handheld would be appreciated.

    David Todtman

  2. Re: Oops! This is the real post.

    "David Todtman" wrote in message news:...
    > Sorry.
    >
    > I am considering purchasing a handheld. However, I don't have a clue what
    > to consider. I am hoping folks here can help me understand the elements.
    > My needs:
    > 1. Scheduling 20 - 30 appointments per week.
    > 2. Brief notes (standard paragraph or two) for each appointment.
    > 3. 'Rolodex' type database (L_name, F_name, phone, fax, etc) for approx.
    > 1000 records.
    > 4. Ability to backup the information to a desktop pc and print out the
    > schedule.
    > 5. 'To Do' list.
    > 6. One or two other simple databases.
    > 6. There might be other uses that I have not considered?
    >
    > Any comments about how to go about the process of selecting the right
    > handheld would be appreciated.

    All Palms and Pocket PCs can do this. Do note that Pocket PCs rely on
    MS Outlook on the desktop. Usually this program is included with the
    PDA but if you buy second-hand that CD may have been lost. Of course
    if you use MS Office already you don't have any problems.

    Palms can synchronize with MS Outlook but you can also use Palm
    Desktop which is a free download from Palm.

    BTW, why do you need to print out the schedule? The reason for
    carrying a PDA is to get rid of all that paper :-)

    Ebbe

  3. Re: Oops! This is the real post.

    Thanks Ebbe. Your info was helpful.

    I need to print out schedules for a long-term legal record of my activities.

    Ciao,
    David Todtman
    news:7cb16200.0312082325.67b793b2@posting.google.c om...

    > > Sorry.
    > >
    > > I am considering purchasing a handheld. However, I don't have a clue

    what
    > > to consider. I am hoping folks here can help me understand the

    elements.
    > > My needs:
    > > 1. Scheduling 20 - 30 appointments per week.
    > > 2. Brief notes (standard paragraph or two) for each appointment.
    > > 3. 'Rolodex' type database (L_name, F_name, phone, fax, etc) for

    approx.
    > > 1000 records.
    > > 4. Ability to backup the information to a desktop pc and print out the
    > > schedule.
    > > 5. 'To Do' list.
    > > 6. One or two other simple databases.
    > > 6. There might be other uses that I have not considered?
    > >
    > > Any comments about how to go about the process of selecting the right
    > > handheld would be appreciated.

    > All Palms and Pocket PCs can do this. Do note that Pocket PCs rely on
    > MS Outlook on the desktop. Usually this program is included with the
    > PDA but if you buy second-hand that CD may have been lost. Of course
    > if you use MS Office already you don't have any problems.
    >
    > Palms can synchronize with MS Outlook but you can also use Palm
    > Desktop which is a free download from Palm.
    >
    > BTW, why do you need to print out the schedule? The reason for
    > carrying a PDA is to get rid of all that paper :-)
    >
    > Ebbe

+ Reply to Thread