PPC 2002 vs. 2003 - Handheld

This is a discussion on PPC 2002 vs. 2003 - Handheld ; Hi I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact Flash and Pocket Face upgrade 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a ...

  1. PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    Hi

    I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact Flash
    and Pocket Face upgrade

    1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when
    you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer, what is the
    best fix?

    2) If I upgrade my IPAQ to PPC 2003, how will that enhance my IPAQ?

    3) Should I be able to install themes that are stored on my compact flash
    expansion pack, as they currently don't.

  2. Re: PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    1. You can not close the programs using the X on PPC 2002 either. The
    closed programs are actually minimized and remain in the background. It's
    not a bug, its a "feature". But it is annoying.

    2. I have an Axim so I can't help you there.

    3. I am pretty sure that you need to move your theme .tsk files to the
    \windows directory for them to show up.

    Hope it helps.

    ":-)" wrote in message
    news:0L2Bb.10233$aw2.5038672@newssrv26.news.prodig y.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact

    Flash
    > and Pocket Face upgrade
    >
    > 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when
    > you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer, what is the
    > best fix?
    >
    > 2) If I upgrade my IPAQ to PPC 2003, how will that enhance my IPAQ?
    >
    > 3) Should I be able to install themes that are stored on my compact flash
    > expansion pack, as they currently don't.

  3. Re: PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    :-) wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact
    > Flash and Pocket Face upgrade
    >
    > 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing
    > when you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer,
    > what is the best fix?

    True. As somebody else stated, they (usually) are just minimized. I've
    encountered a few apps that are the exception to that, though.

    I don't know about the 5455, but most newer iPAQs, including the 5555, have
    a utility called 'iTask' that you can access by pressing the right-most
    button. It will display a list of running apps. You can click-n-hold on
    any of the apps, then select a "Close App" option on thenmenu that pops up.
    There are also tons of third party applications (free or paid) that have
    similar functionality and can be accessed via small icons on the menu bar,
    etc. I like to use a free app called "MagicButton"
    (http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx). I like it because unlike most task
    manager utilities, it puts icons for all the running apps on the upper task
    bar which gives the pocketpc behavior very similar to regular ole Windows'
    task bar - you can switch back&forth between the running apps just by a
    clicking on the icons. Note: if you try this app out, the behavor I just
    mentioned can be toggled on/off by pressing and holding the "ok" button (or
    where the "ok" button usually is if its not currently displayed). I mention
    this because it took me a while to figure that out. I recommend reading the
    documenation for this app - it has several little hidden things in it.

  4. Re: PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:43:24 GMT, :-) wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact Flash
    > and Pocket Face upgrade
    >
    > 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when
    > you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer, what is the
    > best fix?

    Try a third-party program like PocketPlus. Besides adding some nice
    features they will allow you to close programs with the "X".

    > 2) If I upgrade my IPAQ to PPC 2003, how will that enhance my IPAQ?

    PPC2003 adds easier networking and some nicer screens, but is not a major
    upgrade IMO.

    > 3) Should I be able to install themes that are stored on my compact flash
    > expansion pack, as they currently don't.

    Themes (TSK) need to be placed in the WIndows directory on the Pocket PC to
    be available to the Today screen.

  5. Re: PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    I've put my themes into the My Documents on a CF card. They work just fine. However, they don't work from the My Documents folder
    on an SD card, unless I click on the file to open it. Go figure.

    "AximGuy" wrote in message news:s57Bb.2636045$Of.402147@news.easynews.com...
    > On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:43:24 GMT, :-) wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact Flash
    > > and Pocket Face upgrade
    > >
    > > 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when
    > > you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer, what is the
    > > best fix?

    > Try a third-party program like PocketPlus. Besides adding some nice
    > features they will allow you to close programs with the "X".
    >
    > > 2) If I upgrade my IPAQ to PPC 2003, how will that enhance my IPAQ?

    > PPC2003 adds easier networking and some nicer screens, but is not a major
    > upgrade IMO.
    >
    > > 3) Should I be able to install themes that are stored on my compact flash
    > > expansion pack, as they currently don't.

    > Themes (TSK) need to be placed in the WIndows directory on the Pocket PC to
    > be available to the Today screen.

  6. Re: PPC 2002 vs. 2003

    ":-)" wrote in message
    news:0L2Bb.10233$aw2.5038672@newssrv26.news.prodig y.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just acquired an IPAQ 5455. Upgraded from Jornada 548 w/ Compact

    Flash
    > and Pocket Face upgrade
    >
    > 1) I've read discussion threads about programs not actually closing when
    > you click the X in the upper right. I'd like a simple answer, what is the
    > best fix?
    >
    > 2) If I upgrade my IPAQ to PPC 2003, how will that enhance my IPAQ?
    >
    > 3) Should I be able to install themes that are stored on my compact flash
    > expansion pack, as they currently don't.

    To address your question...
    1) That is by design and in fact is a best practices from Microsoft for
    pocket pc application developer to do that, the reason is simple, to access
    and open the application faster (to be like palm). The reason why they need
    to do that is palm and pocket pc OS work differently, Palm application never
    close and it's always there waiting for event to wake him up (though it
    uising lot less resources than pocket pc does, again... differents in how
    the OS work)

    Well, is a pro and cons things. For instance, i am using application such as
    cash organizer and pocket informant, and most of the time i need to access
    them as fast as possible, and will want them to stay at where i am
    previously, by minimize and not really closing it did help. Some of the apps
    like cash organizer have a splash screen on loading and i like to bypass
    that.

    If you need to close them instead of just minimize, try Omega BatteryBar,
    it's a great application which will replace the X button with OK button
    (clicking OK button will really close it). But i still happy with the IPAQ
    iTask button to selectively close the application that i really want to
    close it. Some app, i really want them to be in standby mode like palm.

    2) Enhancement to PPC 2003, file transfer via activesync will be 100%
    faster. I noticed that the find function on Contacts is lot better as well.

    3) I am trying to figure that out as well.

    Hope that help.

+ Reply to Thread