Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus - Handheld

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus - Handheld ; Have seen second hand 5600 to buy in UK . Need some quick advice. I know that 5600 will not be available in UK, will having a US only supported model be problematical for me; e.g. trying to connect to ...

  1. Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus

    Have seen second hand 5600 to buy in UK . Need some quick advice.

    I know that 5600 will not be available in UK, will having a US only
    supported model be problematical for me; e.g. trying to connect to the
    Internet to a UK ISP ?

    What is the 5600 like?
    I have a Psion 5MX and want a colour PDA with Keyboard. Is the
    Keyboard on the 5600 good to type on?

    I have seen somewhere that drivers for the 5600 (? infra red) haven't
    been released - is this correct?

    What is software support like?

    I know nothing about Linux - will this be a problem ?

    but I would like to learn about it though !!!!

    Any thoughts would be welcomed.

    My email address doesn't work . PLease post replies here!!

    thanks

    Nigel Bamber

  2. Re: Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus

    nigelb@highfell.demon.co.uk (Nigel Bamber) writes:
    > Have seen second hand 5600 to buy in UK . Need some quick advice.
    >
    > I know that 5600 will not be available in UK, will having a US only
    > supported model be problematical for me; e.g. trying to connect to the
    > Internet to a UK ISP ?

    Shouldn't be a serious problem although you will need a UK modem.

    > What is the 5600 like?

    Same as the 5500 but improved. I mean, look at some web pages, man.

    > I have a Psion 5MX and want a colour PDA with Keyboard. Is the
    > Keyboard on the 5600 good to type on?

    No. It's a tiny little two-finger keyboard, ok for entering the
    occasional phone number but forget about touch typing. Not anywhere
    near the same league as your Psion. Maybe you want the C760 which is
    a little closer to the Psion.

  3. Re: Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus

    Nigel Bamber wrote:
    > I know that 5600 will not be available in UK, will having a US only
    > supported model be problematical for me; e.g. trying to connect to the
    > Internet to a UK ISP ?

    I have a 5500 in the Netherlands, dialing up to my ISP is giving me no
    problems. I use the infrared on my mobile phone, which includes the
    modem. The only problem I have found upto now is warrenty. Sharp will
    only provide warrenty locally if the device is bought in the country
    itself, in your case the uk, since Sharp uk does not have the 5600 in
    their portfolio, they won't give any service.

    > What is the 5600 like?
    > I have a Psion 5MX and want a colour PDA with Keyboard. Is the
    > Keyboard on the 5600 good to type on?

    I had a Psion 5 before my 5500. The keyboard is not in the same league,
    but is works very well for a tiny keyboard.

    > I know nothing about Linux - will this be a problem ?

    Not really. The 5x00 models use a GUI which works very well. If you ant
    linux shells and so on you even have to install separate programms. In
    normal day to day usage you won't even notice that it is running linux.

    > but I would like to learn about it though !!!!

    I'd suggest trying it on an old PC first. The upside of the Zaurus
    running linux is that it is very flexible, but if you don't know linux I
    suppose that this hardly could be an advantage. The downside of running
    linux on the Zaurus is that I have not been able to locate a good
    route-planner for the Netherlands.

    > Any thoughts would be welcomed.

    Well synchronzing to windows (outlook, word, excel) is working fine. So
    no worries there. In general my 5500 is working well, it has a high
    gadget factor since you don't run into them everyday, battery life
    supposidly has improved on the 5600.

    --
    Arnold

    http://www.ligtvoet.org
    Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  4. Re: Thinking of buying a Sharp Zaurus

    On 5 Dec 2003 16:57:40 -0800, nigelb@highfell.demon.co.uk (Nigel
    Bamber) wrote:

    >Have seen second hand 5600 to buy in UK . Need some quick advice.
    >
    >I know that 5600 will not be available in UK, will having a US only
    >supported model be problematical for me; e.g. trying to connect to the
    >Internet to a UK ISP ?
    >
    >What is the 5600 like?

    It's got a faster processor, but is actually about the same speed as
    the 5500 because of an Intel-side bug. So if I were you, I'd either
    go with a 5500 + updated software or wait for the 6000, which will be
    out early next year.

    >I have a Psion 5MX and want a colour PDA with Keyboard. Is the
    >Keyboard on the 5600 good to type on?

    I love it. It's so much better than the alternatives
    (tap-on-screen-keyboard or handwriting).

    >Any thoughts would be welcomed.

    The Zaurus is less a PDA as it is a tiny computer. If you need it for
    strict PDA functions, you might do better. If you want a little tiny
    powerful computer, wireless-capable, Linux-powered, and generally able
    to do things computers do, it's perfect.

+ Reply to Thread