Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>> - Handheld

This is a discussion on Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>> - Handheld ; I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I can't get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type ...

  1. Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I can't
    get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no
    problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't get the
    slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run Win2000 on
    this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...

    Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

  2. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    Well, since you have internet access, try:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...bmit.x=7&cc=us

    HP has all the drivers there.

    "Marty S." wrote in message
    > I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I can't
    > get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no
    > problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    > there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't get

    the
    > slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run Win2000 on
    > this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    > sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.
    >
    > --
    > Marty S.
    > Baltimore, MD USA

  3. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    "Marty S." wrote in message news:...
    > I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I can't
    > get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no
    > problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    > there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't get the
    > slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run Win2000 on
    > this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    > sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.

    Is it Windows 98 or Windows 98 S.E. ? If it is win98 that might be the
    problem, as win98 S.E. had some extra features that helped a lot.

  4. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    Win98SE.

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    news:11e73a42.0312051422.2572b5c9@posting.google.c om...

    > > I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I

    can't
    > > get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no
    > > problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    > > there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't get

    the
    > > slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run Win2000

    on
    > > this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    > > sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...
    > >
    > > Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.

    > Is it Windows 98 or Windows 98 S.E. ? If it is win98 that might be the
    > problem, as win98 S.E. had some extra features that helped a lot.

  5. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    I've tried this before... if you click on the Win98 link, all you get is a
    driver to undock the unit.

    But thanks... I'll keep trying

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    "Rich Johnson" wrote in message
    > Well, since you have internet access, try:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...d.jsp?locale=e
    n_US&pnameOID=13306&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=31750&Submit.y
    =5&Submit.x=7&cc=us

    > HP has all the drivers there.
    >

    > "Marty S." wrote in message
    > > I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I

    can't
    > > get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's no
    > > problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    > > there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't get

    > the
    > > slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run Win2000

    on
    > > this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    > > sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...
    > >
    > > Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Marty S.
    > > Baltimore, MD USA

  6. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    Marty:

    Try the Windows 95 drivers (be sure to know if you have the MMX version of
    the Pentium CPU though.), I would bet that they work with Windows 98 as
    well. If not, try installing Win95, do the drivers then use an upgrade disk
    to get to 98SE.

    Rich
    "Marty S." wrote in message
    > I've tried this before... if you click on the Win98 link, all you get is

    > driver to undock the unit.
    >
    > But thanks... I'll keep trying
    >
    > --
    > Marty S.
    > Baltimore, MD USA
    >

    > "Rich Johnson" wrote in message
    > > Well, since you have internet access, try:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...d.jsp?locale=e

    n_US&pnameOID=13306&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=31750&Submit.y
    > =5&Submit.x=7&cc=us
    > >
    > > HP has all the drivers there.
    > >

    > > "Marty S." wrote in message
    > > > I've done a clean install of Win98 on my older Omnibook 800ct but I

    > can't
    > > > get the PCMCIA slot to be recognized. If I install Win2000, there's

    no
    > > > problem -- the slot is recognized and I can run any type of pccard in
    > > > there -- wireless, ethernet, modem, compact flash, etc. But I can't

    get
    > > the
    > > > slot to be recognized when I install Win98. I'd rather not run

    Win2000
    > on
    > > > this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs

    sooooooooooo
    > > > sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Marty S.
    > > > Baltimore, MD USA

  7. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    > Try the Windows 95 drivers (be sure to know if you have the MMX version of
    > the Pentium CPU though.), I would bet that they work with Windows 98 as
    > well. If not, try installing Win95, do the drivers then use an upgrade

    disk
    > to get to 98SE.
    >
    > Rich

    Nope... when I install Win98 over Win95 it wipes out the Win95 drivers.
    Then, I even went back to reinstall the older Win95 drivers for the PCMCIA
    controllers (the Win95 drivers were dated 1996) but then running the 1996
    drivers the pc card slot still said "Empty" even though I had various types
    of cards in it.

    I've wasted too much time on this computer. I can't get Win98 to recognize
    cards in the PCMCIA card slot, but the slot works in Win2000. But in
    Win2000 the darned thing is just too slow to be useful. Unless I can find
    an inexpensive 64mb RAM chip to upgrade the memory to 80mb (I have 48mb in
    there now) and run Win2000 more efficiently, I'm going to leave the darn
    Omnibook 800ct in a corner of the closet and let the closet monsters use it.

    Thanks for all the suggestions anyway!! I appreciate the help.
    --

    > Marty:
    >
    > Try the Windows 95 drivers (be sure to know if you have the MMX version of
    > the Pentium CPU though.), I would bet that they work with Windows 98 as
    > well. If not, try installing Win95, do the drivers then use an upgrade

    disk
    > to get to 98SE.
    >
    > Rich
    > "Marty S." wrote in message
    > > I've tried this before... if you click on the Win98 link, all you get

    is
    > > driver to undock the unit.
    > >
    > > But thanks... I'll keep trying
    > >
    > > --
    > > Marty S.
    > > Baltimore, MD USA
    > >

    > > "Rich Johnson" wrote in message
    > > > Well, since you have internet access, try:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...d.jsp?locale=e

    n_US&pnameOID=13306&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=31750&Submit.y
    > > =5&Submit.x=7&cc=us
    > > >
    > > > HP has all the drivers there.
    > > >

    > > > "Marty S." wrote in message

    > > can't

    > no

    in

    > get
    > > > the

    > Win2000
    > > on

    > sooooooooooo

  8. Re: Another HP Omnibook 800ct question...>>>

    Marty:

    I wonder if WinME upgrade has the necessary drivers? If you have that disk
    you might try it. (Given Win2K works with it, there is a chance ME might
    have the drivers.) By the way, don't let the closet monsters have it, sell
    it on eBay. At least you can get some cash out of it to upgrade to a
    Toshiba Libretto, or Mitsubishi Amity. (Same size and at least are
    pentiums.)

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread