PDA audio volume and powered speakers - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA audio volume and powered speakers - Handheld ; As I often have to demonstrate various speech output related systems on PDAs ( http://cmuflite.org , http://www.cepstral.com and http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/papers/...eechalator.pdf ), but the volume of the speaker output on the PDA is always disappointing. These systems are fine if I use ...

  1. PDA audio volume and powered speakers

    As I often have to demonstrate various speech output related systems
    on PDAs (http://cmuflite.org, http://www.cepstral.com and
    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/papers/...eechalator.pdf),
    but the volume of the speaker output on the PDA is always
    disappointing. These systems are fine if I use earpieces or headsets
    but its nice to be able to demonstrate to a few people without having
    them put on headphones, or having to plug into a large "portable"
    amplified speakers.

    The older ipaqs (3835) have reasonable volume but the newer machines
    we've been using HP 5500 and Toshiba e355 are pretty much inaudible
    unless you put the speaker up to your ear.

    I do have the volume on the machine at maximum and modified the
    synthetic speech itself until it is almost clipping but the newer
    machines just aren't load enough.

    I have two questions about possible solutions.

    1) Do any of the newer PDAs (Pocket PC 2003, or any version of WinCE)
    have better audio volume.

    2) Have you seen anything like http://www.pdashop.nl/product/2495/1450/Audio
    which seem to be small powered speakers that can plug into the audio
    output jack. I think these are a potential solution but my Dutch
    isn't very good and its not clear these people ship to the US.

    thanks

    Alan

    Alan W Black email: awb@cs.cmu.edu
    Language Technologies Institute http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/
    Carnegie Mellon University tel: +1-412-268-6299
    5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA, 15213, USA. fax: +1-412-268-6298

  2. Re: PDA audio volume and powered speakers

    On 15 Nov 2003 12:55:53 -0500, Alan W Black
    wrote:

    >2) Have you seen anything like http://www.pdashop.nl/product/2495/1450/Audio
    > which seem to be small powered speakers that can plug into the audio
    > output jack. I think these are a potential solution but my Dutch
    > isn't very good and its not clear these people ship to the US.

    There are almost certainly a heap of small, powered stereo
    speaker systems available. Some are intended to plug into
    computers. Some are intended to plug into portable CD players or
    similar devices. Check a large computer store for powered
    speakers. In the past I've had some with a stereo plug, and
    space for batteries, plus a DC input from a plug pack wall wart
    style transformer. As long as the PDA has a relatively standard
    audio output, you should easily find one to suit.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  3. Re: PDA audio volume and powered speakers

    nov2003@ericlindsayINVALID.comDOMAIN (Eric Lindsay's spam trap) writes:

    > On 15 Nov 2003 12:55:53 -0500, Alan W Black
    > wrote:
    >
    > >2) Have you seen anything like http://www.pdashop.nl/product/2495/1450/Audio
    > > which seem to be small powered speakers that can plug into the audio
    > > output jack. I think these are a potential solution but my Dutch
    > > isn't very good and its not clear these people ship to the US.

    > There are almost certainly a heap of small, powered stereo
    > speaker systems available. Some are intended to plug into
    > computers. Some are intended to plug into portable CD players or
    > similar devices. Check a large computer store for powered
    > speakers. In the past I've had some with a stereo plug, and
    > space for batteries, plus a DC input from a plug pack wall wart
    > style transformer. As long as the PDA has a relatively standard
    > audio output, you should easily find one to suit.

    Standard powered speakers are common, I often used these, though these
    are usually the same size as the PDA itself or bigger, smaller ones
    are typically unpowered and hence not signficantly louder than the
    built in speaker.

    The interesting thing about the speakers from pdashop.nl is that its
    small enough to just plug into the top of the PDA without it being a
    separate box with wires. Though this is assuming the dimensions they
    give are actually mm not cm as they say.

    thanks

    Alan

    > --
    > Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    > Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    > Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    > Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

  4. Re: PDA audio volume and powered speakers

    Alan,
    Presumably these should work, however they may probably are larger than
    your PDA. On the plus side, the power is self-contained, and that means
    no extra wires.
    I'm sure that if you look for something like "Walkman speakers" you will
    find something that may fit the requirements for you.

    The URL below may get word-wrapped, it's about 207 characters long...

    Regards,
    Sean

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-
    bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-
    Start;sid=JXalg2QDFRWlllu5X2iviCsO-OoX8j_mcGM=?
    CategoryName=acc_PersonalSpeakers&ProductSKU=SRST55&Dept=acc

    Alan W Black wrote in

    > nov2003@ericlindsayINVALID.comDOMAIN (Eric Lindsay's spam trap)
    > writes:
    >
    >> On 15 Nov 2003 12:55:53 -0500, Alan W Black
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >2) Have you seen anything like
    >> >http://www.pdashop.nl/product/2495/1450/Audio
    >> > which seem to be small powered speakers that can plug into the
    >> > audio output jack. I think these are a potential solution but my
    >> > Dutch isn't very good and its not clear these people ship to the
    >> > US.

    >> There are almost certainly a heap of small, powered stereo
    >> speaker systems available. Some are intended to plug into
    >> computers. Some are intended to plug into portable CD players or
    >> similar devices. Check a large computer store for powered
    >> speakers. In the past I've had some with a stereo plug, and
    >> space for batteries, plus a DC input from a plug pack wall wart
    >> style transformer. As long as the PDA has a relatively standard
    >> audio output, you should easily find one to suit.

    > Standard powered speakers are common, I often used these, though these
    > are usually the same size as the PDA itself or bigger, smaller ones
    > are typically unpowered and hence not signficantly louder than the
    > built in speaker.
    >
    > The interesting thing about the speakers from pdashop.nl is that its
    > small enough to just plug into the top of the PDA without it being a
    > separate box with wires. Though this is assuming the dimensions they
    > give are actually mm not cm as they say.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Alan
    >

    >> --
    >> Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    >> Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry
    >> Psion & Epoc site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    >> Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost
    >> admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@127.0.0.1

+ Reply to Thread