Have been using the 3870 for over a year without problems but today I found
the device 'dead', despite it having been charged within the past few days.

If i connect via USB to charge from laptop, I'm unable to establish a
connection although the device says it is charging. There is power coming
to the device and I'm able to use it while 'connected'. The main battery
won't charge however and if I unconnected the cable, I have to reset the
device to get it to run, although for only a few seconds.

I will try the docking cradle with power cord when I return home (on the
road). In the mean time, does anyone know how to get the battery charging
again?

Thanks,

Christian