IBM Powerpc405lp - Handheld

This is a discussion on IBM Powerpc405lp - Handheld ; IBM Powerpc405lp: I am really disappointed that the IBM Powerpc405lp chip has not caught on in the PDA market. Seems as though the Intel Xscale has to much market moementum behind it....

  1. IBM Powerpc405lp

    IBM Powerpc405lp:

    I am really disappointed that the IBM Powerpc405lp chip has not caught
    on in the PDA market. Seems as though the Intel Xscale has to much
    market moementum behind it.

  2. Re: IBM Powerpc405lp

    getzler15@yahoo.com (Heinz Getzler) wrote in message news:...
    > IBM Powerpc405lp:
    >
    > I am really disappointed that the IBM Powerpc405lp chip has not caught
    > on in the PDA market. Seems as though the Intel Xscale has to much
    > market moementum behind it.

    I am also wondering why it became so quiet around this chip and the PDA blueprint.

    hns

  3. Re: IBM Powerpc405lp

    hns@computer.org (Dr. Nikolaus Schaller) wrote in message news:...
    > getzler15@yahoo.com (Heinz Getzler) wrote in message news:...
    > > IBM Powerpc405lp:
    > >
    > > I am really disappointed that the IBM Powerpc405lp chip has not caught
    > > on in the PDA market. Seems as though the Intel Xscale has to much
    > > market moementum behind it.

    > I am also wondering why it became so quiet around this chip and the PDA blueprint.

    I get the impression that IBM views the 405lp as product offering, but
    not a critical product at this point. 2004 should be telling for the
    405lp.
    > hns

  4. Re: IBM Powerpc405lp

    On 13 Nov 2003 22:25:32 -0800
    getzler15@yahoo.com (Heinz Getzler) wrote:

    > IBM Powerpc405lp:
    >
    > I am really disappointed that the IBM Powerpc405lp chip has not caught
    > on in the PDA market. Seems as though the Intel Xscale has to much
    > market moementum behind it.

    You could easilly build your own 405 PDA using the tiny little
    board from intrinsyc. Just add a display.

    See:
    http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/cerfcube405EP/

    Bram
    --
    "For the costs of subsidized agriculture in the EU, we can have all 56 million
    European cows fly around the world. First Class." - J. Norberg

  5. Re: IBM Powerpc405lp

    Bram Stolk wrote in message news:<20031211162351.7f0185c8.b.stolk@nospam.chello.nl>...
    > You could easilly build your own 405 PDA using the tiny little
    > board from intrinsyc. Just add a display.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/cerfcube405EP/

    Interesting thing - price of the board alone seems to be like a
    standard PDA of that class.
    Display, Touch, Battery have to be added. But with 76.2mm x 76.2 mm
    it seems to be a little large for a PDA without redesigning.

    But the uPDA from Intrinsyc is also an interesting device. Has a
    480x640 resolution display and everything one can expect for a
    some-thousands $$$ device... But there is apparently no 405LP uEngine
    yet.

    Nikolaus

+ Reply to Thread