Running Latex over a PDA/handheld - Handheld

This is a discussion on Running Latex over a PDA/handheld - Handheld ; Hi there, Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld? I am looking for as complete as possible support for this option, i.e. writing the text (o.k... this we know how...but is there a LaTex text editor for ...

  1. Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    Hi there,

    Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?
    I am looking for as complete as possible support for this option, i.e.
    writing the text (o.k... this we know how...but is there a LaTex text
    editor for PDA/handhelds, like a WinEdt version), compiling the LaTeX
    file AND viewing it in a PDF format.

    I thought of purchasing a PDA/handheld and an external folding
    keyboard.
    If I understand correctly (for I do not own YET a PDA),
    1. There are varius operation systems each has its own
    drawbacks/benefits, which will determine the answer to the
    following...
    2. I should look for (if there is any) a software which can do the
    writing
    3. I should look for (if there is any) a software which can do the
    compilation
    4. I should look for a way to view PDF file decently.

    So, If someone did it, and can recommend on a specific hardware model
    + softwares, I'll be happy if he/she can share his/her knowledge on
    the matter. If not, are there any advices which you can donate on the
    matter?

    10x in advance,

    Liranuous

    B.T.W

    I currently own a compaq EVO N800V which I am very happy with (got it
    a year ago, great purchase I still think after using it for a year),
    it weights ~2.5kg. I was looking for a < 3 pounds (1.35kg) 2nd laptop,
    but the cost...
    I figured that with current PDA displays they might suite my needs
    better,
    also in terms of continuous operation without external power.

    L.

  2. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    Liranuous wrote:

    > 1. There are varius operation systems each has its own
    > drawbacks/benefits, which will determine the answer to the
    > following...

    If you get a PDA that can run Linux (see
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8728350077.html) then you can use TeX,
    LaTeX, ...

    As for editors, all your standard Linux editors will work.

    --
    +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
    | Gerald W. Lester | "The man who fights for his ideals is |

  3. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    liranuous@hotmail.com (Liranuous) aszonygya:
    :Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?
    :I am looking for as complete as possible support for this option, i.e.
    :writing the text (o.k... this we know how...but is there a LaTex text
    :editor for PDA/handhelds, like a WinEdt version), compiling the LaTeX
    :file AND viewing it in a PDF format.

    Well, TeX is in the public domain so nothing should prevent you from
    compiling it. Wouldn't it be nice if you could compile it right on the Palm
    with, say, OnBoardC? Don't forget to compile dvips as well. What about
    MetaFont? That should be a trivial exercise. Then comes emacs or vi. Gawk and
    sed would be great too. /Paul [pedit - LapTopHack - pToolSet -
    superFinderHack]

  4. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    On 13 Nov 2003 04:38:35 -0800, liranuous@hotmail.com (Liranuous)
    wrote:

    >Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?

    [...]

    Take a look at: http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/software.html

    Regards
    --
    Wojtek ---(___C'>

  5. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    wrote:

    >Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?
    >I am looking for as complete as possible support for this option, i.e.
    >writing the text (o.k... this we know how...but is there a LaTex text
    >editor for PDA/handhelds, like a WinEdt version), compiling the LaTeX
    >file AND viewing it in a PDF format.

    I've heard of several people interested in this LaTeX option,
    however so far I haven't heard of anyone actually managing it.
    PDAs until recently have been rather short of both CPU power and
    memory space. I'd be delighted to hear of someone actually doing
    it.

    Breaking down the various steps you need:

    1) Text editor. Probably available on almost every PDA, either
    built in or from a third party. Palm OS 3.x and Psion SIBO may
    have file length limits (4k and 42k) that make them unsuitable.

    Availability of a LaTeX aware editor seems much more
    problematical, but shouldn't be essential. Any editor with
    facilities for say color syntax marking should do fine (vim?)
    but a straight text editor is all you really need.

    2) Port of TeX to PDA OS. Source code is freely available, so I
    suspect that if it hasn't been done, there are resource
    implications still.

    3) PDF viewer. There are a couple of PDF viewers for PDAs on the
    Adobe site. I gather that the version for the Palm OS is
    actually a Windows resident PDF to Palm converter, rather than a
    PDF viewer as such. I'm unsure whether the PocketPC version is
    the same, or whether it displays PDF without conversion on the
    PocketPC. Sander van der Wal has written a native PDF viewer
    (and also a print to PDF converter) for Psion Epoc OS. I think
    there may also be conversions to Symbian based phones.

    I decided the LaTeX approach was probably too memory intensive
    for my PDA (Psion 7), so instead I used a similar free, but far
    less complex, markup language, namely Graham Freeman's
    QuikScript. This is going direct to Postscript. This usage was
    possible because I have always used a Postscript based printer.
    Those who lack a Postscript printer may need to transfer work via
    a PC or Mac or Linux machine that had GhostScript and GhostView
    installed.

    1) Symbian Editor. A free text editor variation of the Psion
    Word processor (it would be less convenient, although plausible,
    to have continued to use Psion Word). You just include text
    markup in your file, in a similar manner to LaTeX or HTML.

    2) Prepend the QuikScript code to the markup file. The
    QuikScript code is a 40k slab of Postscript that tells the
    Postscript printer how to handle the markup elements, so the
    resulting file can be considered standard Postscript. Like
    LaTeX, it has the great advantage of just being a text file, and
    can be used from any sort of computer that can handle a text
    file.

    3) Preview. This is entirely missing, since I don't know of a
    Postscript viewer capable of running on a PDA. Ghostscript and
    Ghostview seem to me too large. It is possible to get source
    code for older versions of a small Postscript viewer called RoPS,
    and I have hopes for this approach eventually. One dirty
    alternative is to use the PDA to send the Postscript to the Adobe
    web site Postscript to PDF converter. You can then view the PDF
    on the PDA using Sander's PDF+ viewer. Of course, when at home
    or at the office, you can always use Windows, a Mac or a Linux
    system to do the Postscript to PDF conversion, using either
    Ghostscript or Adobe Acrobat. This at least lets you carry
    around formatted versions of previous documents. Of course, you
    can print the PDF version from Sander's PDF+, however I think
    printing direct from the Postscript gives superior results to any
    of the Psion printer drivers. I haven't tried the Psion via
    Windows printer routine, because I feel that rather defeats the
    advantage of having a PDA that can print.

    4) Printing. Since the PDA printer drivers (just like the
    Windows or Mac ones) will attempt to treat the Postscript as a
    text file to be formatted, you have to bypass the built in
    printer drivers. The easiest way I've found is to use the Comms
    application to send the Postscript file to the printer. This can
    be done via either the serial port if the printer has a serial
    port as older Postscript printers did (or if you have a Psion
    serial to parallel cable, to a parallel printer port), or if the
    printer has an IrDA port, just beam the Postscript file to the
    printer. I'm afraid I do rather a lot of my "previewing" by just
    printing it out! These days I'm pretty used to how a document
    will turn out, and I have templates for things I do often.

    --
    Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
    Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

  6. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    Wojciech Myszka wrote:
    > liranuous@hotmail.com (Liranuous) wrote:
    >>Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?

    > [...]
    > Take a look at: http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/software.html

    Also there is this:

    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ0103/z-tex/

    #Paul

  7. Re: Running Latex over a PDA/handheld

    Eric Lindsay's spam trap wrote:

    (Hello Eric - I'm on-topic this time :-) )

    > On 13 Nov 2003 04:38:35 -0800, liranuous@hotmail.com (Liranuous)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone tried (and succeded...)in runing LaTeX on a PDA/handheld?
    > >I am looking for as complete as possible support for this option, i.e.
    > >writing the text (o.k... this we know how...but is there a LaTex text
    > >editor for PDA/handhelds, like a WinEdt version), compiling the LaTeX
    > >file AND viewing it in a PDF format.

    [snip]

    > 1) Text editor. Probably available on almost every PDA, either
    > built in or from a third party. Palm OS 3.x and Psion SIBO may
    > have file length limits (4k and 42k) that make them unsuitable.

    4k is too small for anything much, but a 42k file size limit shouldn't
    be a problem - you can get plenty of text in a 42k file, and you can
    always split things up using \input files if you're writing anything
    substantial. This can be a pain, mind.

    [snip]

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

+ Reply to Thread