Harry Potter EBook Petition - Handheld

This is a discussion on Harry Potter EBook Petition - Handheld ; Hi all, If interested, you can sign my petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/hpebook/petition.html Regards, Byron Collins Kentucky, USA...

  1. Harry Potter EBook Petition

    Hi all,

    If interested, you can sign my petition:

    http://www.petitiononline.com/hpebook/petition.html

    Regards,

    Byron Collins
    Kentucky, USA

  2. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    In article ,
    "Byron Collins" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > If interested, you can sign my petition:
    >
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/hpebook/petition.html
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Byron Collins
    > Kentucky, USA

    Why bother really. A day after the release of OoTP I got a digital copy
    off IRC. It was a text file but this can be easily made into an ebook.

  3. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    XT wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Byron Collins" wrote:

    [snip]

    > Why bother really. A day after the release of OoTP I got a digital
    > copy off IRC. It was a text file but this can be easily made into an
    > ebook.

    Because, eBook is a legitimate medium format that we want authors and
    publishers to support for those of us who have handheld devices. It would
    be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook format!
    What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    --
    E. Meyers

    "Only through black and white principles can
    a man distinguish between good and evil." - Mr. A.

    ___

  4. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "EBM" wrote in message
    > Because, eBook is a legitimate medium format that we want authors and
    > publishers to support for those of us who have handheld devices. It would
    > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    format!
    > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    But a pain in the arse if you've already bought the hardback (which I do
    'cause its always nicer to read on paper) and want to have a nice portable
    electronic version for rereading in work (on tea breaks, of course).

    Would be nice if you got the ebook free (copy protected if necessary) when
    you bought the hard copy. Happy to support the authors and keep them
    writing, but don't want to end up out of pocket paying for the same book
    several times.

  5. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    >It would
    > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    format!
    > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be missing
    some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is a
    complete nightmare.

    rms

  6. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "rms" wrote in message
    news:CDptb.29584$bI.2414@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > >It would
    > > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    > format!
    > > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    > Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be missing
    > some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is a
    > complete nightmare.

    The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    ("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    could be bound like a book and downloaded.

  7. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:06:44 GMT, "JimC" wrote:

    >"rms" wrote in message
    >news:CDptb.29584$bI.2414@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    >> >It would
    >> > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    >> format!
    >> > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    >> Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be missing
    >> some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is a
    >> complete nightmare.
    >>

    >The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    >in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    >displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    >("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    >could be bound like a book and downloaded.

    I'd prefer an eyeframe-mounted heads-up display.

    Don

  8. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "JimC" wrote in message
    news:UWttb.23612$UQ7.2230@newssvr25.news.prodigy.c om...

    > "rms" wrote in message
    > news:CDptb.29584$bI.2414@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > > >It would
    > > > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    > > format!
    > > > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    > > Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be

    missing
    > > some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is a
    > > complete nightmare.
    > >

    > The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    > in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    > displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    > ("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    > could be bound like a book and downloaded.

    http://www.nature.com/nsu/030922/030922-10.html

  9. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "JimC" wrote in message
    news:UWttb.23612$UQ7.2230@newssvr25.news.prodigy.c om...

    > "rms" wrote in message
    > news:CDptb.29584$bI.2414@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > > >It would
    > > > be great to have a legally purchased, authorized and complete eBook

    > > format!
    > > > What a convenient way to read these wonderful books!

    > > Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be

    missing
    > > some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is a
    > > complete nightmare.
    > >

    > The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    > in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    > displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    > ("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    > could be bound like a book and downloaded.

    Unless he is planning on printing out all the pages,probably use up his ink
    cartridge,and as most ink cartages are aroud $30 spend way more on the book
    than he needs to.

  10. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "Persival" wrote in message

    > "JimC" wrote in message
    > news:UWttb.23612$UQ7.2230@newssvr25.news.prodigy.c om...
    > >
    > > "rms" wrote in message
    > > news:CDptb.29584$bI.2414@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > > > format!
    > > >
    > > > Is there a convenient electronic way to read books? I must be

    > missing
    > > > some technology, reading 10 page long .pdfs on a standard computer is

    > > > complete nightmare.
    > > >

    > > The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    > > in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    > > displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    > > ("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    > > could be bound like a book and downloaded.
    > >

    > Unless he is planning on printing out all the pages,probably use
    > up his ink cartridge,and as most ink cartages are aroud $30 spend
    > way more on the book
    > than he needs to.

    Thought of that. An "L-book", once programmed, retains its text
    semi-permanently, eliminating the need for most hard copies. The
    idea is to develop a cheap technology comparable to the cost of
    manufacturing books. One might have as many L-books as
    a person has ink-printed books ("I-books") in his library, or
    one might have two or three L-books like ballpoint pens say, as
    a convenience. Downloading should be no more time-consuming
    than fetching a book off the shelf. The important thing is
    that the L-book reduces the cost of manufacture to almost
    nothing leaving remuneration to the author and
    publisher as the main costs. Collected knowledge isn't free.
    Expositors were always paid. Well, weren't they? -

    I don't think this new technology would cause more logorrhea than we
    experienced with the spread of word processors. It's more akin to
    Gutenberg's movable-type printing, probably the most important
    development in the dissemination of knowledge to date.

  11. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    "JimC" wrote in message news:...

    [...]

    > > > The electronic display doesn't replace the printed page, and it's no fun
    > > > in bed either. Maybe a future technology will have paper-thin
    > > > displays. They might be called laminascreens.
    > > > ("I read it on my lamina in bed last night.") The sheets
    > > > could be bound like a book and downloaded.
    > > >

    > > Unless he is planning on printing out all the pages,probably use
    > > up his ink cartridge,and as most ink cartages are aroud $30 spend
    > > way more on the book
    > > than he needs to.
    > >

    > Thought of that. An "L-book", once programmed, retains its text
    > semi-permanently, eliminating the need for most hard copies. The
    > idea is to develop a cheap technology comparable to the cost of
    > manufacturing books. One might have as many L-books as
    > a person has ink-printed books ("I-books") in his library, or
    > one might have two or three L-books like ballpoint pens say, as
    > a convenience. Downloading should be no more time-consuming
    > than fetching a book off the shelf. The important thing is
    > that the L-book reduces the cost of manufacture to almost
    > nothing leaving remuneration to the author and
    > publisher as the main costs. Collected knowledge isn't free.
    > Expositors were always paid. Well, weren't they? -
    >
    > I don't think this new technology would cause more logorrhea than we
    > experienced with the spread of word processors. It's more akin to
    > Gutenberg's movable-type printing, probably the most important
    > development in the dissemination of knowledge to date.

    A touching bit of techno-optimism. Considering all the trouble
    with the downloading and sharing of illegally-copied digitally
    recorded music caused by Napster and the like, it's a fair bet
    that if electronic books ever became technologically viable
    and widely disseminated, illegal downloading of such books
    would quickly become extremely widespread. The sharing of
    illegally downloaded college textbooks alone would probably
    be immense. Today, textbooks cost much more in the US than
    in Europe, which is already causing many US college students
    to order their textbooks from abroad. Think of all the new
    possibilities electronic books would provide for circumventing
    high retail book prices. Electronic books would probably spell
    disaster for the book publishing business.

  12. Re: Harry Potter EBook Petition

    >Electronic books would probably spell
    > disaster for the book publishing business.

    Agree. I don't know what to do about it either. On the other hand,
    perhaps it would lead to less large book contracts, and more
    "performance-based" (sorry to use that republican term) small payments
    directly to the authors. Recall that IBM or whatever tv ad about how whoever
    wants to be published can be.

    rms

+ Reply to Thread