Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor - Handheld ; Sergei Pokrovsky wrote: >>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Graham writes: > > [...] > > Craig> Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus > Craig> make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get > Craig> ...

  1. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > Craig> Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus
    > Craig> make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get
    > Craig> the best of both worlds...
    >
    > 1. It doubles the size, mass, and the number of pockets required.

    Not quite doubles. It's not as space efficient as (for example) the old
    Psion 5mx keyboard (a miracle of compact design), but it's not even close
    to being as bulky as lugging a laptop.

    > 2. I've seen reports that PDA often falls out of the keyboard when you
    > try to use it in a train etc.

    The stand is seperate from the keyboard. You don't have to use it...
    (although I use it on the Brighton to London train all the time, and it's
    never fallen off yet...)

    Craig

  2. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    Craig> Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
    >>> "Craig" == Craig Graham writes:

    >> [...]

    Craig>>> Could always buy an external keyboard - Pocketop and Targus
    Craig>>> make folding PDA keyboards that are very handy. Then you get
    Craig>>> the best of both worlds...

    >> 1. It doubles the size, mass, and the number of pockets required.

    Craig> Not quite doubles. It's not as space efficient as (for
    Craig> example) the old Psion 5mx keyboard (a miracle of compact
    Craig> design), but it's not even close to being as bulky as lugging
    Craig> a laptop.

    Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better
    to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a
    PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

    [...]

    --
    Sergei

  3. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    In comp.sys.handhelds Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
    > Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better
    > to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a
    > PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

    Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the ipaq nowadays,
    so it's really the same deal.

    :M:

  4. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    Michael> In comp.sys.handhelds Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
    >> Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better
    >> to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a
    >> PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

    Michael> Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the
    Michael> ipaq nowadays, so it's really the same deal.

    That's why I ask:

    Given that the OS is (or can be made) one same, which hardware option
    is better?

    --
    Sergei

  5. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:33:58 +0600
    Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:

    > Michael> In comp.sys.handhelds Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:
    > >> Okay, supposing that a separate keyboard is acceptable, is it better
    > >> to buy a Zaurus, or to install Linux on an Ipaq (or another such a
    > >> PDA)? Which Linux should prove better?

    > Michael> Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the
    > Michael> ipaq nowadays, so it's really the same deal.
    >
    > That's why I ask:
    >
    > Given that the OS is (or can be made) one same, which hardware option
    > is better?
    >
    > --
    > Sergei

    Better will be a personal choice depending on what features you place importance on. The Zaurii have good keyboards and screens with two slots - but lack buitl in wifi/bluetooth. Your decision.

    However in my view Sharp gets my cash for being brave pioneers in bringing to market a mass appeal Linux product instead of supporting the evil Microsoft. But thats just me.

    --
    regards
    Gary

    "The cosmos is all it is, all it ever was and all it ever will be" - Carl Sagan

  6. Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (linux-based PDA) rumor

    In comp.sys.handhelds krusadr wrote:
    >> Michael> Basically it is the same Linux. OpenZaurus even runs on the
    >> Michael> ipaq nowadays, so it's really the same deal.
    >>
    >> That's why I ask:
    >>
    >> Given that the OS is (or can be made) one same, which hardware option
    >> is better?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sergei

    > Better will be a personal choice depending on what features you place importance on. The Zaurii have good keyboards and screens with two slots - but lack buitl in wifi/bluetooth. Your decision.
    >
    > However in my view Sharp gets my cash for being brave pioneers in bringing to market a mass appeal Linux product instead of supporting the evil Microsoft. But thats just me.

    Exactly. And since I love the clamshell format, I prefer using my C750 to my 3850 any day.

    :M:

+ Reply to Thread