need_portable_browsing_solution - Handheld

This is a discussion on need_portable_browsing_solution - Handheld ; I travel around UK and need a durable portable device with 2hrs+ battery life, a keyboard, HTML browsing capabilities and a service which will provide internet access through the said device. My main purpose for this device is information managment ...

  1. need_portable_browsing_solution

    I travel around UK and need a durable portable device with 2hrs+
    battery life, a keyboard, HTML browsing capabilities and a service
    which will provide internet access through the said device.

    My main purpose for this device is information managment on a website
    for which i am a member. I would like to be able to broswe the WWW as
    if i was on a 56k modem connection connected to an old desktop
    machine, or better if possible.

    I have heard of GPRS and googled around but found only a multitude of
    users connecting through a GPRS enabled phone, whereas I do not wish
    to use a mobile phone in the connection, I am hoping there is some
    kind of GPRS modem or IC.

    I require little data storage.
    My budget for hardware is GBP1500.
    My budget for service is whatever it takes.
    I would prefer a machine which is attractive like the Sharp Zaurus
    SL-C760 PDA.

    ANY INFO OR DIRECTION IS GREATLY APPRECCIATED
    --
    the previous meal is history, it is the next one which matters...

  2. Re: need_portable_browsing_solution

    Well, at least here in the USA, here's a few solutions that come to mind:

    1) Handspring.com Treo 600 (believe it's out in UK already).
    $500-600 USD

    100% mobile <6oz mobile phone + internet web browser + email +
    speakerphone + camera + keyboard in-one. Very nice! Extremely portable
    and will do it in the smallest avaiable package.

    2) Sharp SL-C760 + GPRS phone. 8-10oz total.
    $700+ USD.

    See message boards here to do it:
    http://externe.net/zaurus/forum/

    You'll need the phone + Sharp to do it.

    You can probably do it with a PCMCIA GPRS card as well, but I
    haven't looked into it yet.

    3) Toshiba Libretto L110 mini-notebook. 2lbs.
    $350-500 USD.

    http://www.silverace.com/libretto/
    Toshiba Libretto mini-notebooks are among the world's smallest
    notebooks available, and dirt-cheap used on www.ebay.com. You can
    easily buy a Merlin G100 GPRS PCMCIA card here off ebay for ~$80, sign
    up for the 24/7 unlimited T-Mobile service at $29.99/month, and go
    anywhere in the USA and go online. You'll probably have similar service
    over where you are and expect to go.

    Similar notebooks in this size are:
    Sony Picturebook (used, www.ebay.com)
    Fujitsu P5000
    Sony TR2
    Sony U101 (smallest available PC)

    www.conics.net or www.dynamism.com or www.japan-direct.com for these.

    -----

    All I can say is that with the Sprint PCS Wireless web card + service
    on my Libretto L110, it was no problem at all going online to check web
    & email from anywhere I had cell coverage - car, beach, bathroom - you
    name where, and I could go online. Of course, TMobile is the better &
    cheaper service now that you can find anywhere at $29.99/month unlimited.

+ Reply to Thread