Looking for an IBM PC110 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Looking for an IBM PC110 - Handheld ; Hello folks, I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in Europe as this avoids annoying taxes. The computer itself has to be fine - no broken case, fine display, hardware running stable etc. - but ...

  1. Looking for an IBM PC110

    Hello folks,
    I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in
    Europe as this avoids annoying taxes.
    The computer itself has to be fine - no broken case, fine display,
    hardware running stable etc. - but the battery needs not, as it can more
    or less easily be replaced.
    I hope anyone of you got one lying around and wants to sell it..

    Best regards,
    Unrest
    --
    To thine own self be true..

  2. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    On 02 Jul 2008 18:40:58 GMT, unrest
    wrote:

    >Hello folks,
    >I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in

    Do you really need that particular brand and model? If you would
    consider something close, telling us your criteria would probably
    help.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):

  3. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    Am Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:35:27 -0400 schrieb r_z_aret:

    > On 02 Jul 2008 18:40:58 GMT, unrest wrote:
    >
    >>Hello folks,
    >>I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in

    > Do you really need that particular brand and model? If you would
    > consider something close, telling us your criteria would probably
    > help.

    I was actually looking for a relatively small and cheap handheld with a
    complete keyboard and either running on linux or giving me the
    possibility of installing a fully functional linux.
    It should be expandable somehow - pcmcia e.g. - or have USB, WLAN and
    Bluetooth.
    It needn't be uber fast, but it should be capable of running lynx, ssh,
    irssi and other cli utilities.
    If it's capable of playing videos and running Opera etc it's ok, but a
    fully functional shell is the number one must.

    The PC110 fulfills my requirements, which is why I was initially posting
    here. If there are other handhelds similiar to the PC110 name 'em
    please.

    Thanks in advance!
    --
    To thine own self be true..

  4. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    unrest writes:

    > Am Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:35:27 -0400 schrieb r_z_aret:
    >
    >> On 02 Jul 2008 18:40:58 GMT, unrest wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello folks,
    >>>I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in

    >> Do you really need that particular brand and model? If you would
    >> consider something close, telling us your criteria would probably
    >> help.

    > I was actually looking for a relatively small and cheap handheld with a
    > complete keyboard and either running on linux or giving me the
    > possibility of installing a fully functional linux.
    > It should be expandable somehow - pcmcia e.g. - or have USB, WLAN and
    > Bluetooth.
    > It needn't be uber fast, but it should be capable of running lynx, ssh,
    > irssi and other cli utilities.
    > If it's capable of playing videos and running Opera etc it's ok, but a
    > fully functional shell is the number one must.
    >
    > The PC110 fulfills my requirements, which is why I was initially posting
    > here. If there are other handhelds similiar to the PC110 name 'em
    > please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I have one, but I'm in the US, and I'm not quite ready to sell it yet,
    though it is still working (I have FreeBSD on it).

    However although I was deeply enthused about the PC110 before (ten
    years ago) I now see there are a number of better options. The PC110
    is *very* slow (486SX33Mhz no floating point) and I'm not convinced the
    hardware is really up to what would be useful these days. The CF slot
    is probably limited in size, and it has no wireless built in.

    Later alternatives are potentially

    Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 which is PDA like with a keyboard but with an SD and a
    CF slot that you can put a wireless card in.

    Sharp SL-C1000, which is more the form factor of the PC110.

    More recently the Nokia N800 tablet, which is what I think I would go
    for now is I was looking for this form factor.

    Alan

    > --
    > To thine own self be true..

  5. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    Am Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:45:43 -0400 schrieb awb:

    > I have one, but I'm in the US, and I'm not quite ready to sell it yet,
    > though it is still working (I have FreeBSD on it).

    Well... That's a problem - not that it's located in the US..

    > However although I was deeply enthused about the PC110 before (ten years
    > ago) I now see there are a number of better options. The PC110 is
    > *very* slow (486SX33Mhz no floating point) and I'm not convinced the
    > hardware is really up to what would be useful these days. The CF slot
    > is probably limited in size, and it has no wireless built in.

    It might have no wireless, but two PCMCIA slots.
    Hitachi makes "hdd"s for PCMCIA slots, so space'd not be much of an issue.

    > Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 which is PDA like with a keyboard but with an SD
    > and a CF slot that you can put a wireless card in.

    This one looks actually veery promising, but I haven't found it for sale
    anywhere..
    Neither was I able to track down any offers for its successor the
    SL-5600..
    Do you know anyone selling a 5500?

    > More recently the Nokia N800 tablet, which is what I think I would go

    Well the N800 disqualifies itself because of the missing keyboard..

    Michael
    --
    To thine own self be true..

  6. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    On Jul 3, 2:33*pm, unrest wrote:
    > Am Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:35:27 -0400 schrieb r_z_aret:
    >
    > > On 02 Jul 2008 18:40:58 GMT, unrest wrote:

    > >>Hello folks,
    > >>I'm looking for an IBM PC110 handheld to buy - preferrably located in

    > > Do you really need that particular brand and model? If you would
    > > consider something close, telling us your criteria would probably
    > > help.

    > I was actually looking for a relatively small and cheap handheld with a
    > complete keyboard and either running on linux or giving me the
    > possibility of installing a fully functional linux.
    > It should be expandable somehow - pcmcia e.g. - or have USB, WLAN and
    > Bluetooth.
    > It needn't be uber fast, but it should be capable of running lynx, ssh,
    > irssi and other cli utilities.
    > If it's capable of playing videos and running Opera etc it's ok, but a
    > fully functional shell is the number one must.
    >
    > The PC110 fulfills my requirements, which is why I was initially posting
    > here. If there are other handhelds similiar to the PC110 name 'em
    > please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > --
    > To thine own self be true..

    An HP Jornada 720 or 728 is a nice HPC with a tiny but touch typeable
    keyboard. I run Jlime Linux on mine instead of the stock WinCE. The
    CPU is a ~200MHz strongarm, display is color HVGA, and has 32 or 64MB
    of RAM. For expansion, there's a PCMCIA slot and one CF slot. It fits
    in my pocket but it's pretty cramped. You won't be playing any videos
    on it but it's otherwise quite nice.

    -Liam

  7. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    unrest wrote:

    > I was actually looking for a relatively small and cheap handheld with a
    > complete keyboard and either running on linux or giving me the
    > possibility of installing a fully functional linux.
    > It should be expandable somehow - pcmcia e.g. - or have USB, WLAN and
    > Bluetooth.
    > [...]
    > If there are other handhelds similiar to the PC110 name 'em
    > please.

    Sony PCG-U3?

    Not much bigger than the PC110, and a lot more useful.
    Runs Windoze, Linux and FreeBSD without any problem. USB and LAN onboard,
    PCMCIA, excellent display.

    I may have one for sale soon. Contact me if interested.
    Location would be Europe (Shipping from either Luxembourg or Germany,
    in fact).

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  8. Re: Looking for an IBM PC110

    unrest writes:
    > I was actually looking for a relatively small and cheap handheld with a
    > complete keyboard and either running on linux or giving me the
    > possibility of installing a fully functional linux.

    The Asus EEE PC fills the bill pretty well and is very popular.
    One thing to watch out for: they use a Debian-derived Linux distribution
    which has a bug ruining the security of its OpenSSL and OpenSSH
    implementation. You have to install an upgraded version yourself.
    The best approach may be to switch from the stock distro to a
    more common one such as Ubuntu.

+ Reply to Thread