Re: Freeware Password App - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: Freeware Password App - Handheld ; andy M wrote: > Hi all, > > with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move > to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im ...

  1. Re: Freeware Password App

    andy M wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    > to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    > looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    > Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    > 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential

    Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.

    Imagine a criminally minded hacker builds in a routine in their freeware
    password app to "phone home" the contents of the database when the PDA is
    synced with the desktop computer. Imagine all your CC numbers, PINs, PayPal
    passwords etc in the hands of hackers! Bear in mind also (at least in the
    UK) that you would be responsible for all losses if your CC/bank card PINS
    were compromised in this way.

    I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable software
    house. Too much at stake. I know most freeware products are probably
    reputable but I'm unwilling to take that chance with so much at risk.

    BTW I keep my passwords on my desktop computer in a pgp encrypted text file

    --
    Peter

  2. Re: Freeware Password App

    "Trust No OneŽ" wrote in message
    > andy M wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >> to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >> looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >> Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >>
    >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >> perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >> etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >> essential
    >>

    > Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.
    >
    > Imagine a criminally minded hacker builds in a routine in their freeware
    > password app to "phone home" the contents of the database when the PDA is
    > synced with the desktop computer. Imagine all your CC numbers, PINs,
    > PayPal passwords etc in the hands of hackers! Bear in mind also (at least
    > in the UK) that you would be responsible for all losses if your CC/bank
    > card PINS were compromised in this way.
    >
    > I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable
    > software house. Too much at stake. I know most freeware products are
    > probably reputable but I'm unwilling to take that chance with so much at
    > risk.
    >
    > BTW I keep my passwords on my desktop computer in a pgp encrypted text
    > file

    The Open Source movement makes this whole argument nonsense. You can obtain
    the source code and examine it. You don't have merely to believe that the
    [object] code you are running is the same as the [source] code you are
    viewing - just recompile your [vetted] copy of the source code, after
    removing all the black-hat code if you like, and use the result.

    Try KeePass at
    http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...pc-v0-4-5.html It's
    free and open source.

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you ...

    No, I have no affiliation to the Open Source movement or to the makers of
    KeePass.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

+ Reply to Thread