Sync over the Web - Handheld

This is a discussion on Sync over the Web - Handheld ; I am planning on purchasing a new HP IPAQ HX2795 (biometric sensor built in). My work environment is mostly on the road in my car and in coffee shops. I believe in a tiered approach to my electronic devices. Most ...

  1. Sync over the Web

    I am planning on purchasing a new HP IPAQ HX2795 (biometric sensor
    built in). My work environment is mostly on the road in my car and
    in coffee shops. I believe in a tiered approach to my electronic
    devices. Most of the time when I am walking around, its only my cell
    phone in my pocket which meets some rudimentary needs for browsing
    the web and checking e-mail. At times such as waiting in lines at
    Costco or the DMV or when I am pulled over in my car, I will grab my
    IPAQ to browse the web, check e-mail, view documents, take notes and
    connect to the internet through my Verizon phone configured as a
    bluetooth modem to access Verizons EVDO network. When I need to do
    real work, I will sit somewhere with my laptop.

    I don't want the chore of constantly syncing my IPAQ with my laptop,
    especially when I prefer to keep my IPAQ in my car and use my laptop
    in a coffee shop. Ideally I would like an application or service
    that takes all my activesync updates on my laptop destined for my
    IPAQ and automatically send them to some exchange server. And then
    the next time I access the web with my IPAQ, my IPAQ automatically
    downloads these activesync updates, keeping my IPAQ up-to-date. And
    of course vica-versa
    Is there a service that would perform these functions as described
    or is there a way to create such an exchange server on a home
    desktop connected to the internet?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Sync over the Web

    At 06 Feb 2008 14:59:28 -0800 techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:

    > And then
    > the next time I access the web with my IPAQ, my IPAQ automatically
    > downloads these activesync updates, keeping my IPAQ up-to-date. And
    > of course vica-versa
    > Is there a service that would perform these functions as described

    Not to be a wiseguy, but yes- it's called an Exchange Server! ;-)

    > or is there a way to create such an exchange server on a home
    > desktop connected to the internet?

    While you could try to set it up that way, it's cost prohibitive- IIRC, SBS
    2k3 (Small Business Server 2003) is the chespest way to buy Exchange, and
    it's $300.

    However, you can "rent" Exchange- many companies offer "hosted" Exchange
    service- 1&1.com, Mail2Web.com, there's a bunch of them. 1&1 is the
    cheapest at $6.99/month. Anytime your desktop, laptop, or PPC is online,
    it'll update automatically. You'll even have OWA (Outlook Web Access) that
    will let you see your Outlook data in a browser window from any PC on the
    planet if you wish.

+ Reply to Thread