HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705 - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705 - Handheld ; I just recently had to deal with the inconvenience of a worn out backup battery in my HP iPAQ HX4700 PDA. Every time I would swap the main battery back out for my 2nd one on a long plane flight, ...

  1. HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705

    I just recently had to deal with the inconvenience of a worn out
    backup battery in my HP iPAQ HX4700 PDA. Every time I would swap the
    main battery back out for my 2nd one on a long plane flight, I'd have
    to go through the hard reset process, initial setup, and backup file
    restore.

    I took pictures of the process and wrote up a quick guide to help any
    of you who want to replace the backup cell in your iPAQ.

    Here's the guide -
    http://paulstravelpictures.com/HP-iP...ide/index.html

    I hope some of you find it useful. My PDA is now healthy again.

    Cheers,
    Paul Michaels
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

  2. Re: HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705

    "Paul Michaels" wrote in message
    news:1194970530.510536.119580@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >I just recently had to deal with the inconvenience of a worn out
    > backup battery in my HP iPAQ HX4700 PDA. Every time I would swap the
    > main battery back out for my 2nd one on a long plane flight, I'd have
    > to go through the hard reset process, initial setup, and backup file
    > restore.
    >
    > I took pictures of the process and wrote up a quick guide to help any
    > of you who want to replace the backup cell in your iPAQ.
    >
    > Here's the guide -
    > http://paulstravelpictures.com/HP-iP...ide/index.html
    >
    > I hope some of you find it useful. My PDA is now healthy again.

    The glaring error in the guide is in these two paragraphs:

    "What I didn't know then was that changing the main battery with both the SD
    and CF card still in the PDA was severely straining the tiny rechargeable
    NiMH backup battery inside the HX4700.

    "The small 1.2 Volt 6 mAh Ni-MH Varta V6 HR button cell backup battery was
    only designed to maintain the iPAQ's main internal built-in memory during
    loss of primary battery power, and not also the expansion Secure Digital and
    Compact Flash cards."

    The error is that the backup battery does *not* supply any power at all to
    either the SD or CF cards as these are based on FLASH technology that
    requires no power to maintian their contents. Further, the backup battery
    will (or should) maintain the contents of the internal RAM for considerably
    longer than the time required to change the main battery and is not in fact
    under any strain at all.

  3. Re: HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705

    I'm not so sure that is true for my specific model, the HP iPAQ
    HX4700 / HX4705.

    I just did some testing. With the 2gb SD card and 2gb CF still in the
    PDA I pulled off the main battery and let it sit for 30 seconds.
    (Approximately timed by my watch.)

    Upon re-installing the main battery and after the soft reset, I got a
    warning that the backup battery was low. I checked it and it was at
    only 25%. I'm guessing that a few seconds longer would have meant a
    hard reset.

    I'm going to wait for the backup battery to recharge to 100% and then
    repeat the experiment with both memory cards removed and my cell
    phone's stopwatch keeping track of the time.

    With both the cards out, after 30 seconds, the backup battery was at
    50%. So I guess that's an improvement, but I'd still want to be very
    quick when switching out the main battery for the 2nd generic one I
    have.

    Maybe we have different PDA's or maybe something is wrong with mine.
    Either way, I'm thankful that with this new backup battery installed I
    do have at least 30 seconds to switch main battery packs.

    I've found since then that I prefer not having to mess with the main
    battery pack at all. The "Lil' Sync" USB charger AA battery adapter is
    an easier way to keep my battery charged up since I already have a few
    sets of high capacity NiMH AA cells for a camera.

    Here's some pictures of the Lil' Sync -
    http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/L...iew/index.html

    In case I didn't mention it earlier, and it makes a difference, my PDA
    is still running the original WM 2003 SE.

    -Paul

    On Nov 14, 4:01 am, "M.I.5 3/4" wrote:
    > "Paul Michaels" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1194970530.510536.119580@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > >I just recently had to deal with the inconvenience of a worn out
    > > backup battery in my HP iPAQHX4700PDA. Every time I would swap the
    > > main battery back out for my 2nd one on a long plane flight, I'd have
    > > to go through the hard reset process, initial setup, and backup file
    > > restore.

    > > I took pictures of the process and wrote up a quickguideto help any
    > > of you who want to replace the backup cell in your iPAQ.

    > > Here's theguide-
    > >http://paulstravelpictures.com/HP-iP...p-Battery-Repl...

    > > I hope some of you find it useful. My PDA is now healthy again.

    > Theglaringerrorin theguideis inthesetwoparagraphs:
    >
    > "What I didn't know then was that changing the main battery with both the SD
    > and CF card still in the PDA was severely straining the tiny rechargeable
    > NiMH backup battery inside theHX4700.
    >
    > "The small 1.2 Volt 6 mAh Ni-MH Varta V6 HR button cell backup battery was
    > only designed to maintain the iPAQ's main internal built-in memory during
    > loss of primary battery power, and not also the expansion Secure Digital and
    > Compact Flash cards."
    >
    > Theerroris that the backup battery does *not* supply any power at all to
    > either the SD or CF cards astheseare based on FLASH technology that
    > requires no power to maintian their contents. Further, the backup battery
    > will (or should) maintain the contents of the internal RAM for considerably
    > longer than the time required to change the main battery and is not in fact
    > under any strain at all.

  4. Re: HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705

    > I'm not so sure that is true for my specific model, the HP iPAQ
    > HX4700 / HX4705.
    >
    > I just did some testing. With the 2gb SD card and 2gb CF still in the
    > PDA I pulled off the main battery and let it sit for 30 seconds.
    > (Approximately timed by my watch.)
    >
    > Upon re-installing the main battery and after the soft reset, I got a
    > warning that the backup battery was low. I checked it and it was at
    > only 25%. I'm guessing that a few seconds longer would have meant a
    > hard reset.
    >
    > I'm going to wait for the backup battery to recharge to 100% and then
    > repeat the experiment with both memory cards removed and my cell
    > phone's stopwatch keeping track of the time.
    >
    > With both the cards out, after 30 seconds, the backup battery was at
    > 50%. So I guess that's an improvement, but I'd still want to be very
    > quick when switching out the main battery for the 2nd generic one I
    > have.
    >
    > Maybe we have different PDA's or maybe something is wrong with mine.
    > Either way, I'm thankful that with this new backup battery installed I
    > do have at least 30 seconds to switch main battery packs.
    >
    > I've found since then that I prefer not having to mess with the main
    > battery pack at all. The "Lil' Sync" USB charger AA battery adapter is
    > an easier way to keep my battery charged up since I already have a few
    > sets of high capacity NiMH AA cells for a camera.
    >
    > Here's some pictures of the Lil' Sync -
    > http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/L...iew/index.html
    >
    > In case I didn't mention it earlier, and it makes a difference, my PDA
    > is still running the original WM 2003 SE.

    We have several people in the office who own various vintages of iPAQ
    (though not your specific model). I do not know of anyone who whould not
    feel comfortable leaving the main battery out for considerably longer than
    30 seconds. I have just tried mine for 5 minutes and the backup battery
    still shows 100% charge (in fact I have never seen it show anything else -
    except when the iPAQ was new, and even then the battery wasn't anywhere near
    discharged.

    There is no reason to supply backup power to any form of FLASH card, and it
    is hard to understand why their presence affects your backup battery so
    much. Most forms of RAM memory can be maintaind by a small coin battery for
    several years, so I'm not sure what HP are maintaining with yours.

  5. Re: HP iPAQ Backup Battery Replacement Guide - HX4700/4705

    After reviewing your post on the B/U battery, I ordered, received & installed a new Varta V6HR. My iPAQ still won't even register that it's in the charging base... The main battery shows 3.4volts, but not on the label indicated contacts... Do I really also a new main battery?

    Thanks for your quick response!

+ Reply to Thread