use PDA as external touch screen monitor? - Handheld

This is a discussion on use PDA as external touch screen monitor? - Handheld ; >From another thread: > I've seen software > that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external > touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible. This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also ...

  1. use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    >From another thread:
    > I've seen software
    > that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external
    > touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible.

    This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also turned the touchscreen into
    an input device for the PC?

    Has anyone seen anything like this - software or hack or mod - that
    lets you connect a Pocket PC or older Win CE device to a Windows
    machine to use as a combo external monitor / touchscreen input
    device? It would be pretty cool to be able to use your old PDA (or
    touchscreen cell phone) as an touchscreen input device or game
    controller like the Nintendo DS has...

    I have some older PDAs (Cassiopeia E-100, iPAQ 3650) and handhelds
    (NEC MobilePro 770) whose usefulness would be rejuvenated with this
    type of application. Or even plugging in your Windows Mobile cell
    phone to use as an input device for a desktop application such as a
    game or drawing app.

    I would think they'd have to connect to the PC via sync cable (serial
    in the case of the Cassiopeia or MobilePro, USB in the case of the
    iPAQ). Either the throughput would have to be fast enough to send
    screen updates to the PDA (say 320x240 res, 65535 colors) and for the
    PDA to send screen taps to the PC. Maybe after initializing the PDA's
    display, the driver software would only send screen changes (like VNC
    viewer) to save bandwidth.
    For the non-USB devices, the only other ways to connect would have to
    be through a NIC (the E-100 only has a CF slot, so you'd need to find
    a CF NIC) or IR (sounds kludgy, probably slow. Also, in a gaming
    situation, would you have to have 1 IR receiver per player on the
    machine?)

    Thoughts?

  2. Re: use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    Sure there are such apps; for example, Innobec SideWindow -
    http://www.pocketgear.com/en_US/html...id=prod5641205

    See for example
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=346707 for more links
    & discussion

    Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
    Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.

    wrote in message
    news:1192121065.928181.139410@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > >From another thread:
    >> I've seen software
    >> that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external
    >> touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible.

    > This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also turned the touchscreen into
    > an input device for the PC?
    >
    > Has anyone seen anything like this - software or hack or mod - that
    > lets you connect a Pocket PC or older Win CE device to a Windows
    > machine to use as a combo external monitor / touchscreen input
    > device? It would be pretty cool to be able to use your old PDA (or
    > touchscreen cell phone) as an touchscreen input device or game
    > controller like the Nintendo DS has...
    >
    > I have some older PDAs (Cassiopeia E-100, iPAQ 3650) and handhelds
    > (NEC MobilePro 770) whose usefulness would be rejuvenated with this
    > type of application. Or even plugging in your Windows Mobile cell
    > phone to use as an input device for a desktop application such as a
    > game or drawing app.
    >
    > I would think they'd have to connect to the PC via sync cable (serial
    > in the case of the Cassiopeia or MobilePro, USB in the case of the
    > iPAQ). Either the throughput would have to be fast enough to send
    > screen updates to the PDA (say 320x240 res, 65535 colors) and for the
    > PDA to send screen taps to the PC. Maybe after initializing the PDA's
    > display, the driver software would only send screen changes (like VNC
    > viewer) to save bandwidth.
    > For the non-USB devices, the only other ways to connect would have to
    > be through a NIC (the E-100 only has a CF slot, so you'd need to find
    > a CF NIC) or IR (sounds kludgy, probably slow. Also, in a gaming
    > situation, would you have to have 1 IR receiver per player on the
    > machine?)
    >
    > Thoughts?

  3. Re: use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:44:25 -0000, mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com wrote:

    >>From another thread:
    >> I've seen software
    >> that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external
    >> touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible.

    >This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also turned the touchscreen into
    >an input device for the PC?
    >
    >Has anyone seen anything like this - software or hack or mod - that
    >lets you connect a Pocket PC or older Win CE device to a Windows
    >machine to use as a combo external monitor / touchscreen input
    >device? It would be pretty cool to be able to use your old PDA (or
    >touchscreen cell phone) as an touchscreen input device or game
    >controller like the Nintendo DS has...

    I have a package for the Palm (not PPC) that works with serial or
    simple IR (SIR) (designed to re-use Palm IIIxe and V devices).
    It was originally designed to make a Palm into an icon-based
    "universal" wired control device for PC applications (handheld remote
    for your media center PC or whatever), with definable buttons, etc.
    The host (or another Palm) can generate an ad hoc screen display
    (placement of buttons, text) and that display can be saved (on the
    Palm) for later recall via a single command (define screen "Cable";
    save screen "Cable"; define screen "OffAir"; save screen "OffAir";
    recall screen "Cable", etc).
    Button taps, screen tap locations, and Grafitti characters are sent to
    the host device.

    It should be feasible to create something similar for the PPC.

    John

  4. Re: use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com wrote:
    >>From another thread:
    >> I've seen software
    >> that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external
    >> touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible.

    > This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also turned the touchscreen into
    > an input device for the PC?
    >
    > Has anyone seen anything like this - software or hack or mod - that
    > lets you connect a Pocket PC or older Win CE device to a Windows
    > machine to use as a combo external monitor / touchscreen input
    > device? It would be pretty cool to be able to use your old PDA (or
    > touchscreen cell phone) as an touchscreen input device or game
    > controller like the Nintendo DS has...

    Why not just run a VNC server on the computer and a VNC
    client on your PDA? both are available as free software.

    JonB

  5. Re: use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    It's very slow and really incapable - see my related article. MyMobiler and,
    of course, Pocket Controller are WAY bettter & faster

    "Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
    > mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>From another thread:
    >>> I've seen software
    >>> that turned the Palm into external LCD monitor, making it external
    >>> touch screen device that are slaved to a PC is possible.

    >> This is pretty cool. I wonder if this also turned the touchscreen into
    >> an input device for the PC?
    >>
    >> Has anyone seen anything like this - software or hack or mod - that
    >> lets you connect a Pocket PC or older Win CE device to a Windows
    >> machine to use as a combo external monitor / touchscreen input
    >> device? It would be pretty cool to be able to use your old PDA (or
    >> touchscreen cell phone) as an touchscreen input device or game
    >> controller like the Nintendo DS has...

    > Why not just run a VNC server on the computer and a VNC
    > client on your PDA? both are available as free software.
    >

    > JonB

  6. Re: use PDA as external touch screen monitor?

    Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices] wrote:
    > It's very slow and really incapable - see my related article. MyMobiler and,
    > of course, Pocket Controller are WAY bettter & faster

    Maybe, but at least with VNC you have the full source and
    you can just code what you need.

+ Reply to Thread