HP IPAQ 3630 - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP IPAQ 3630 - Handheld ; Hi all, I've been given an Ipaq 3630. The unit works fine when it's connected to the mains, but will not power up when the power plug is removed from the mains. I've replaced the battery with a brand new ...

  1. HP IPAQ 3630

    Hi all, I've been given an Ipaq 3630. The unit works fine when it's
    connected to the mains, but will not power up when the power plug is
    removed from the mains. I've replaced the battery with a brand new
    one but the problem persists.

    Other than this it seems to work fine.

    Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and whther it is worth
    having repaired?

    Thanks in advance,

    David

  2. Re: HP IPAQ 3630

    wvbc2004@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all, I've been given an Ipaq 3630. The unit works fine when it's
    > connected to the mains, but will not power up when the power plug is
    > removed from the mains. I've replaced the battery with a brand new
    > one but the problem persists.
    >
    > Other than this it seems to work fine.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and whther it is worth
    > having repaired?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > David

    What's the voltage on the battery. If it's sufficient to run the
    pda, you may have a power problem. If it's insufficient, you may have
    a charging problem. Do the lights give any clue when you plug in the
    charger? How about a utility that tells you if it's charging? Or an
    icon that indicates charging?

    I just fixed a PDA that had an intermittent power switch problem.
    Turned out that the backup battery had leaked corrosive gunk onto the
    other end of the circuit board. Cleaning that up fixed the power switch
    problem.

    If you can fix it yourself, it's worth it.
    If you have to pay shop rates, I'm gonna suggest that any PDA old enough
    to be out of warranty is not worth having fixed.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!

  3. Re: HP IPAQ 3630

    On Sep 10, 6:19 pm, mike wrote:
    > wvbc2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all, I've been given an Ipaq 3630. The unit works fine when it's
    > > connected to the mains, but will not power up when the power plug is
    > > removed from the mains. I've replaced the battery with a brand new
    > > one but the problem persists.

    > > Other than this it seems to work fine.

    > > Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and whther it is worth
    > > having repaired?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > David

    > What's the voltage on the battery. If it's sufficient to run the
    > pda, you may have a power problem. If it's insufficient, you may have
    > a charging problem. Do the lights give any clue when you plug in the
    > charger? How about a utility that tells you if it's charging? Or an
    > icon that indicates charging?
    >
    > I just fixed a PDA that had an intermittent power switch problem.
    > Turned out that the backup battery had leaked corrosive gunk onto the
    > other end of the circuit board. Cleaning that up fixed the power switch
    > problem.
    >
    > If you can fix it yourself, it's worth it.
    > If you have to pay shop rates, I'm gonna suggest that any PDA old enough
    > to be out of warranty is not worth having fixed.
    > mike
    >
    > --
    > Return address is VALID!

    Thanks Mike!