'PC/5000' handheld industrial terminal, from 'Micro PALM' - info wanted, please! - Handheld

This is a discussion on 'PC/5000' handheld industrial terminal, from 'Micro PALM' - info wanted, please! - Handheld ; Hi. This is a very 'chunky' handheld terminal, portrait-style, with a small mono LCD and keypad beneath (full alphanumeric). Apparently it's x86-based, running an early version of DOS. >From prelimiary research, it seems that MicroPALM were a Florida-based outfit, who ...

  1. 'PC/5000' handheld industrial terminal, from 'Micro PALM' - info wanted, please!

    Hi.
    This is a very 'chunky' handheld terminal, portrait-style, with a
    small mono LCD and keypad beneath (full alphanumeric). Apparently it's
    x86-based, running an early version of DOS.

    >From prelimiary research, it seems that MicroPALM were a Florida-based

    outfit, who were taken over by WPI-Group (who also bought the British
    Husky company), back in the mid-1990s. Basically we're talking pre WWW-
    revolutiion, so even the Wayback Archive version of www.wpigroup.com
    doesn't mention the PC/5000 or MicroPALM...

    Does anyone know if WPI produced an equivalent, or compatible
    (evolutionary) model?
    Is there any pdf documentaion available on the web: a users-guide, or
    even a MicroPALM brochure etc.?

    I'd love to know what signals are available via the 'docking-port'
    connector on top of the unit? (It's the only connector there is!)

    TIA for any help - Mark.

  2. MicroPalm = Florida-based maker of handheld-terminals (1990s) - info wanted, please!

    Hi.
    Back in the mid-90s, MicroPalm (of Clearwater, Florida) made the PC/
    4000 and PC/5000 handheld units.
    I don't have any documentation - and can't find any on the web - so
    I'm looking for:-
    (1) Pinout of the 50-pin docking connector (3-row "D"-type)
    (2) Utility disk with link software (MPCLINK.SYS, CONNECT.COM ?)

    TIA - Mark.

    crumpto...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Hi.
    > This is a very 'chunky' handheld terminal, portrait-style, with a
    > small mono LCD and keypad beneath (full alphanumeric). Apparently it's
    > x86-based, running an early version of DOS.
    >
    > >From prelimiary research, it seems that MicroPALM were a Florida-based

    > outfit, who were taken over by WPI-Group (who also bought the British
    > Husky company), back in the mid-1990s. Basically we're talking pre WWW-
    > revolutiion, so even the Wayback Archive version of www.wpigroup.com
    > doesn't mention the PC/5000 or MicroPALM...
    >
    > Does anyone know if WPI produced an equivalent, or compatible
    > (evolutionary) model?
    > Is there any pdf documentaion available on the web: a users-guide, or
    > even a MicroPALM brochure etc.?
    >
    > I'd love to know what signals are available via the 'docking-port'
    > connector on top of the unit? (It's the only connector there is!)
    >
    > TIA for any help - Mark.

  3. Re: 'PC/5000' handheld industrial terminal, from 'Micro PALM' - info wanted, please!

    Hello, I also have a similar device. The Micro Palm PC/4000. It did have an OS loaded on it with a tracking program for barcodes. I have the serial cable that connects to the 50-pin connector as well as a wand barcode scanner and a charging cable. I managed to wipe the ram and can no longer boot it up. Any help locating the software is appreciated. Mark if you would like to discuss anything you can email me at strent{at}columbus{dot}rr{dot}com and I will try to help.

    Thanks,
    -Shawn

+ Reply to Thread