Help... Bluetooth version confusion - Handheld

This is a discussion on Help... Bluetooth version confusion - Handheld ; I recently bought a generic Bluetooth USB adapter, which the salesman explicitly said was version 2.0. After I installed it to my home computer, this is what my Bluetooth software reported: HARDWARE PROPERTIES Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp. HCI Version: ...

  1. Help... Bluetooth version confusion

    I recently bought a generic Bluetooth USB adapter, which the salesman
    explicitly said was version 2.0. After I installed it to my home
    computer, this is what my Bluetooth software reported:

    HARDWARE PROPERTIES

    Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp.
    HCI Version: 1.2
    HCI Revision: 1FE
    LMP Version: 1.2
    LMP Sub Version: 1FE

    A quick check on Windows XP --> System ---> Device Manager shows a
    series of recently-installed "Bluetooth Serial Ports", and the drivers
    are all version 2.0.1.1.

    Unfortunately, I'm not technically-minded enough to know for certain
    what, if anything, all of that means. Are the above data conclusive
    evidence that I have the older v1.2 version, or v2.0? If not, is
    there any way to figure out exactly which version of Bluetooth I have?

    I'd appreciate any help.

  2. Re: Help... Bluetooth version confusion

    wrote in message
    news:1184587838.935250.111400@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >I recently bought a generic Bluetooth USB adapter, which the salesman
    > explicitly said was version 2.0. After I installed it to my home
    > computer, this is what my Bluetooth software reported:
    >

    > HARDWARE PROPERTIES
    >
    > Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp.
    > HCI Version: 1.2
    > HCI Revision: 1FE
    > LMP Version: 1.2
    > LMP Sub Version: 1FE
    >

    > A quick check on Windows XP --> System ---> Device Manager shows a
    > series of recently-installed "Bluetooth Serial Ports", and the drivers
    > are all version 2.0.1.1.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm not technically-minded enough to know for certain
    > what, if anything, all of that means. Are the above data conclusive
    > evidence that I have the older v1.2 version, or v2.0? If not, is
    > there any way to figure out exactly which version of Bluetooth I have?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help.

    AFAIAA, the only signifcant difference is the data rate, Bluetooth 2.0
    supporting up to 3 mbps (Bluetooth 1.x was up to around 720 kbps). Does the
    documentation state what the data rate is?

    Bluetooth 2.1 is due out shortly (and indeed may be out) and has many
    enhancements over bluetooth 2.0. The statement that I saw claimed
    compatibility with Bluetooth 1.1, but made no mention of Bluetooth 1.2 (the
    latest of the 1.x line) or 2.0.

  3. Re: Help... Bluetooth version confusion

    "M.I.5" wrote in message

    > wrote in message
    > news:1184587838.935250.111400@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>I recently bought a generic Bluetooth USB adapter, which the salesman
    >> explicitly said was version 2.0. After I installed it to my home
    >> computer, this is what my Bluetooth software reported:
    >>

    >> HARDWARE PROPERTIES
    >>
    >> Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp.
    >> HCI Version: 1.2
    >> HCI Revision: 1FE
    >> LMP Version: 1.2
    >> LMP Sub Version: 1FE
    >>

    >> A quick check on Windows XP --> System ---> Device Manager shows a
    >> series of recently-installed "Bluetooth Serial Ports", and the drivers
    >> are all version 2.0.1.1.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, I'm not technically-minded enough to know for certain
    >> what, if anything, all of that means. Are the above data conclusive
    >> evidence that I have the older v1.2 version, or v2.0? If not, is
    >> there any way to figure out exactly which version of Bluetooth I have?
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any help.
    >>

    > AFAIAA, the only signifcant difference is the data rate, Bluetooth 2.0
    > supporting up to 3 mbps (Bluetooth 1.x was up to around 720 kbps). Does
    > the documentation state what the data rate is?
    >
    > Bluetooth 2.1 is due out shortly (and indeed may be out) and has many
    > enhancements over bluetooth 2.0. The statement that I saw claimed
    > compatibility with Bluetooth 1.1, but made no mention of Bluetooth 1.2
    > (the latest of the 1.x line) or 2.0.

    I should also have mentioned that AFAICT, Bluetooth 2.2 is in the pipeline
    and 3.0 is on its heels.

+ Reply to Thread