Best non-phone WiFi PDA? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Best non-phone WiFi PDA? - Handheld ; A friend and I are looking for a PDA with WiFi capability, but we don't want smart phones. I've looked at the specs for the Palm TX and it looks okay, but I found a review that complained about shoddy ...

  1. Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    A friend and I are looking for a PDA with WiFi capability, but we
    don't want smart phones. I've looked at the specs for the Palm TX and
    it looks okay, but I found a review that complained about shoddy
    hardware. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

  2. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    nicolknappen@gmail.com wrote:
    > A friend and I are looking for a PDA with WiFi capability, but we
    > don't want smart phones. I've looked at the specs for the Palm TX and
    > it looks okay, but I found a review that complained about shoddy
    > hardware. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

    pocketpc newsgroup is probably a better place for this question.
    Depending on why you want wifi...
    If you intend to do anything useful on the web, get the highest screen
    resolution you can afford. Doesn't matter how rugged it is if it won't
    do the job.
    I like my Dell Axim X51v 480x640. Problem is that they quit making them
    and prices went astronomical over night.

    I was UNABLE to do anything useful, web wise, on a 240x320 pda.
    As I recall, the TX is twice that...but I'd still go for 480x640.

    Now, if you really did mean handheld, there are some nice old HP
    clamshell handhelds with 640x200 or 640x240 displays. Much better for
    web surfing. Problem with them is that they're SLOW!!!!
    And the mechanical arrangement is ill suited to plug in anything other
    than a PCMCIA wifi card.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!
    Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:

  3. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    On 30 Jun., 02:05, nicolknap...@gmail.com wrote:
    > A friend and I are looking for a PDA with WiFi capability, but we
    > don't want smart phones. I've looked at the specs for the Palm TX and
    > it looks okay, but I found a review that complained about shoddy
    > hardware. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

    One of the best PDAs I know is still the Sharp Zaurus (with external
    WiFi CF card, e.g. an Ambicom 1100C). It is robust hardware, has a
    brilliant 640x480 display plus a QWERTY keyboard, so it is more an
    "ber-Ultra-Mobile-PC" than a PDA. And you get tons of Linux software
    for it (e.g. Firefox) and you can even tweak everything and install
    OpenBSD.

    -- hns

  4. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    in message <1183186052.284065.122540@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    hns@computer.org ('hns@computer.org') wrote:

    > On 30 Jun., 02:05, nicolknap...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> A friend and I are looking for a PDA with WiFi capability, but we
    >> don't want smart phones. I've looked at the specs for the Palm TX and
    >> it looks okay, but I found a review that complained about shoddy
    >> hardware. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

    > One of the best PDAs I know is still the Sharp Zaurus (with external
    > WiFi CF card, e.g. an Ambicom 1100C). It is robust hardware, has a
    > brilliant 640x480 display plus a QWERTY keyboard, so it is more an
    > "Über-Ultra-Mobile-PC" than a PDA. And you get tons of Linux software
    > for it (e.g. Firefox) and you can even tweak everything and install
    > OpenBSD.

    Yup, I was going to say that, too. I now use a HP IPAQ 6515, which /is/ a
    phone (and camera and GPS and more or less everything else) but the Zaurus
    was nicer.

    The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
    ;; of me, by a 'friend'

  5. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    I was wondering why no one mentioned the nokia internet tablets (n770 or
    n800)? While not really pda's they do have PIM apps available for it
    and it is otherwise pretty similar in features to some of the above
    mentioned devices. Like the Sharp, it's running linux.

  6. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    Pete Nalda schrieb:
    > I was wondering why no one mentioned the nokia internet tablets (n770 or
    > n800)? While not really pda's they do have PIM apps available for it
    > and it is otherwise pretty similar in features to some of the above
    > mentioned devices. Like the Sharp, it's running linux.

    Because they're phones so they don't fall into the category "non-phones".

    Greetings

    Markus

  7. Re: Best non-phone WiFi PDA?

    In <46b37424$0$14092$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de> Markus.Humm wrote:
    > Pete Nalda schrieb:
    >> I was wondering why no one mentioned the nokia internet tablets (n770
    >> or n800)? While not really pda's they do have PIM apps available
    >> for it and it is otherwise pretty similar in features to some of the
    >> above mentioned devices. Like the Sharp, it's running linux.

    > Because they're phones so they don't fall into the category "non-
    > phones".
    >
    > Greetings
    >
    > Markus

    Actually they are not phones at all. the nokia n800 does have voip
    capability, but the 770 has none and neither will work as a cell phone.

    As a side note 770's are turning up cheaper and cheaper on craigslist (
    at least here in Austin, TX). I played around with the 770 today and
    only thing I was a bit worried about was that I couldn't watch any
    YouTube videos, because it said I didn't have javascript turned on or
    needed a newer version of flash player, OTH, it's a neat device.

+ Reply to Thread