handheld device purchase - Handheld

This is a discussion on handheld device purchase - Handheld ; I am new to handhelds so please be patient. My boss wants a handheld device for simple data entry. Just type in a message and transmit over ethernet (?) to another computer. I'd also like to program it using Java ...

  1. handheld device purchase

    I am new to handhelds so please be patient.

    My boss wants a handheld device for simple data entry. Just type in a message and transmit
    over ethernet (?) to another computer. I'd also like to program it
    using Java if possible.

    I know this is vague but any ideas are appreciated.
    Maybe a Dell or HP? Don't know.

    Thank you.

    - Andrew M. Neiderer

  2. Re: handheld device purchase

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:15:03 GMT, neiderer@osprey.arl.army.mil (Andrew
    Neiderer ) wrote:

    >I am new to handhelds so please be patient.
    >
    >My boss wants a handheld device for simple data entry. Just type in a message and transmit
    >over ethernet (?) to another computer. I'd also like to program it
    >using Java if possible.

    For really simple applications, NSBasic might work:
    http://www.nsbasic.com/
    I've never tried it, so I can't say more.

    The following is a pretty good source of info for developers who want
    to support Windows CE and platforms (such as Pocket PC/Windows Mobile)
    built on it:
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/developer/dev.htm

    Microsoft and Java have an "interesting" relationship, so support on
    mobile devices running Microsoft products might be challenging.

    Microsoft is pushing .NET languages (VB.NET and C#). But they also
    have tools for C++.

    All but the oldest Windows CE handhelds can connect easily via
    Ethernet. Letting another computer see files on such handhelds is
    difficult (maybe impossible). Letting a handheld see files on a
    "desktop" is possible. So is ftp.

    >I know this is vague but any ideas are appreciated.
    >Maybe a Dell or HP? Don't know.

    Dell no longer sells handhelds. HP does. If you wander a bit from the
    link I gave above, you can get comparisons of many devices. You might
    want to use eBay to get something slightly older (and much less
    expensive) as a learning experience.

    Many companies (including mine) sell software that does what you
    describe. I am clearly biased, but really do believe that buying is
    often less expensive than building.

    >Thank you.
    >
    >- Andrew M. Neiderer

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: handheld device purchase

    Addendum:

    A database application might well work, and might be simple, at least
    for simple problems. I don't know enough to recommend any.

    Spending some time with google advanced newsgroup
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) would be very useful.
    Start by looking for
    newbie
    in microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer
    You might also look up
    database
    in the same newsgroup.

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:06:15 -0400, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:15:03 GMT, neiderer@osprey.arl.army.mil (Andrew
    >Neiderer ) wrote:
    >

    >>I am new to handhelds so please be patient.
    >>
    >>My boss wants a handheld device for simple data entry. Just type in a message and transmit
    >>over ethernet (?) to another computer. I'd also like to program it
    >>using Java if possible.

    >For really simple applications, NSBasic might work:
    >http://www.nsbasic.com/
    >I've never tried it, so I can't say more.
    >
    >The following is a pretty good source of info for developers who want
    >to support Windows CE and platforms (such as Pocket PC/Windows Mobile)
    >built on it:
    >http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/developer/dev.htm
    >
    >Microsoft and Java have an "interesting" relationship, so support on
    >mobile devices running Microsoft products might be challenging.
    >
    >Microsoft is pushing .NET languages (VB.NET and C#). But they also
    >have tools for C++.
    >
    >All but the oldest Windows CE handhelds can connect easily via
    >Ethernet. Letting another computer see files on such handhelds is
    >difficult (maybe impossible). Letting a handheld see files on a
    >"desktop" is possible. So is ftp.
    >

    >>I know this is vague but any ideas are appreciated.
    >>Maybe a Dell or HP? Don't know.

    >Dell no longer sells handhelds. HP does. If you wander a bit from the
    >link I gave above, you can get comparisons of many devices. You might
    >want to use eBay to get something slightly older (and much less
    >expensive) as a learning experience.
    >
    >Many companies (including mine) sell software that does what you
    >describe. I am clearly biased, but really do believe that buying is
    >often less expensive than building.
    >

    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>- Andrew M. Neiderer

    >To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    >Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >PenFact, Inc.
    >20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    >Boston, MA 02116
    >www.penfact.com

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: handheld device purchase

    Andrew Neiderer wrote:
    > I am new to handhelds so please be patient.
    >
    > My boss wants a handheld device for simple data entry. Just type in a message and transmit
    > over ethernet (?) to another computer. I'd also like to program it
    > using Java if possible.
    >
    > I know this is vague but any ideas are appreciated.
    > Maybe a Dell or HP? Don't know.
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > - Andrew M. Neiderer

    Rule number one...bosses rarely think things thru before making demands.
    Consider the operating environment and user interface before you get too
    far into picking hardware.

    I had the notion that I'd use a PDA for simple user interfaces. It
    didn't take long for me to learn that it wasn't as simple as I thought...
    wash the dirt off my hands
    take the fragile pda out of it's protective case
    try to get the stylus out.
    pick the stylus off the floor.
    turn on the device
    wait for the network to reinitialize
    Axim X50 with symbol wireless card required soft reset to turn
    on the wireless card.
    find a place with enough shade that I could see the screen
    poke in the info on the tiny on-screen keyboard.
    turn off
    put back in protective case
    put back in pocket...wait...with the protection, it won't fit in my
    pocket...
    worry about dropping the thing
    worry about somebody stealing the thing

    I went back to scribbling notes on paper and typing them in when
    I got back to a real keyboard. Easier if you have a secretary...

    My favorite simple device is a HP200LX. It's a dos machine that can
    run real dos programs/batch scripts etc. HP also made a slew of
    clamshell WinCE machines with keyboards. There are a couple of freeware
    languages that ran on those.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!