please help me out configure my phone! - Handheld

This is a discussion on please help me out configure my phone! - Handheld ; Hi, Ok. This is almost off-topic, but not quite: I badly need help with setting up my phone (Nokia 6133 with T-Mobile, USA) to use with my N800. Here is the problem: I just upgraded my T-Mobile account with $5.99 ...

  1. please help me out configure my phone!

    Hi,

    Ok. This is almost off-topic, but not quite: I badly need help with
    setting up my phone (Nokia 6133 with T-Mobile, USA) to use with my
    N800. Here is the problem:

    I just upgraded my T-Mobile account with $5.99 to allow Internet
    access. It seems to work fine. However, when I try to connect my 800
    to it I have a problem. Here is what I did:

    After switching Bluetooth on on my Nokia 6133 phone, I went to control
    panel->phone were I set up a connection to my phone, then I went to
    connectivity and clicked on the connection to my phone, I then got a
    message on the N800 saying "subscribe to packet data first" and a
    simultaneous message on my Nokia 6133 saying that the connection had
    been disconnected.

    I would note here that the bluetooth connection between the two units
    functions very well and I see all the files on my phone from the
    N800's file manager.

    Then - I suspect that this is related - I have a similar problem in
    another circumstance: accessing my gmail account.

    I went to gmail.com/app and downloaded an application called gmail
    mobile. The application was downloaded and installed without any
    problems. I could also start it with no problems. First, I am given
    a menu in which to enter my name and password and then I have to click
    on 'sign in'. This is when the problem occurs. I get a message
    saying 'application access set to not allowed' and, next, 'gmail can't
    access the server until you grant it permission to send and receive
    data on the network".

    I called T-Mobile but, predictably, all they could achieve is ask me
    plenty of questions about the last for digits of my social, my
    address, password, etc. but could offer zero help. I spoke to what
    appears to be a level three technicians who had exactly nothing at all
    to offer.

    My impression is that the problem is not between the phone and the T-
    Mobile network as no data exchange appears to be taking place between
    the moment I attempt to sign in and the first error message. Also -
    when I attempt to establish a dialup connection between my N800 and my
    phone (my first problem) the two units "talk" to each other, but
    nothing seems to be happening between the phone and the network.

    So what is the setting on the phone I should change?

    Under "settings" there is a menu connectivity->packet data which
    offers two options: 'when needed' and 'always online'. I tried both
    to no avail.

    So how do I enable packet data and allow application access over the
    network?

    Many thanks,

    VS

  2. Re: please help me out configure my phone!

    At 20 Apr 2007 09:24:28 -0700 vees wrote:

    T-Mobile has been attempting to clamp down on what you can access with
    the $5.99/month plan. Apparently, according to some posts on
    HowardForums.com, they've disabled the ability of some newer phones (like
    the 6133) from connecting to the net with Java apps like GMail or Google
    Maps. Tethering other devices to the phone might be disabled as well.

    Note that this would only apply to 6133s sold by T-Mobile- not an
    "unlocked" phone directly from Nokia.

    > Ok. This is almost off-topic, but not quite: I badly need help with
    > setting up my phone (Nokia 6133 with T-Mobile, USA) to use with my
    > N800. Here is the problem:
    >
    > I just upgraded my T-Mobile account with $5.99 to allow Internet
    > access. It seems to work fine. However, when I try to connect my 800
    > to it I have a problem. Here is what I did:
    >
    > After switching Bluetooth on on my Nokia 6133 phone, I went to control
    > panel->phone were I set up a connection to my phone, then I went to
    > connectivity and clicked on the connection to my phone, I then got a
    > message on the N800 saying "subscribe to packet data first" and a
    > simultaneous message on my Nokia 6133 saying that the connection had
    > been disconnected.
    >
    > I would note here that the bluetooth connection between the two units
    > functions very well and I see all the files on my phone from the
    > N800's file manager.
    >
    > Then - I suspect that this is related - I have a similar problem in
    > another circumstance: accessing my gmail account.
    >
    > I went to gmail.com/app and downloaded an application called gmail
    > mobile. The application was downloaded and installed without any
    > problems. I could also start it with no problems. First, I am given
    > a menu in which to enter my name and password and then I have to click
    > on 'sign in'. This is when the problem occurs. I get a message
    > saying 'application access set to not allowed' and, next, 'gmail can't
    > access the server until you grant it permission to send and receive
    > data on the network".
    >
    > I called T-Mobile but, predictably, all they could achieve is ask me
    > plenty of questions about the last for digits of my social, my
    > address, password, etc. but could offer zero help. I spoke to what
    > appears to be a level three technicians who had exactly nothing at all
    > to offer.
    >
    > My impression is that the problem is not between the phone and the T-
    > Mobile network as no data exchange appears to be taking place between
    > the moment I attempt to sign in and the first error message. Also -
    > when I attempt to establish a dialup connection between my N800 and my
    > phone (my first problem) the two units "talk" to each other, but
    > nothing seems to be happening between the phone and the network.
    >
    > So what is the setting on the phone I should change?
    >
    > Under "settings" there is a menu connectivity->packet data which
    > offers two options: 'when needed' and 'always online'. I tried both
    > to no avail.
    >
    > So how do I enable packet data and allow application access over the
    > network?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > VS

  3. Re: please help me out configure my phone!

    "Todd All****" wrote in message
    news:4628f125$0$16377$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > At 20 Apr 2007 09:24:28 -0700 vees wrote:
    >
    > T-Mobile has been attempting to clamp down on what you can access with
    > the $5.99/month plan. Apparently, according to some posts on
    > HowardForums.com, they've disabled the ability of some newer phones (like
    > the 6133) from connecting to the net with Java apps like GMail or Google
    > Maps. Tethering other devices to the phone might be disabled as well.

    As I understand it they are clamping down on UNSIGNED apps.
    Not all apps in general to restrict usage.

    > Note that this would only apply to 6133s sold by T-Mobile- not an
    > "unlocked" phone directly from Nokia.
    >

    >> Ok. This is almost off-topic, but not quite: I badly need help with
    >> setting up my phone (Nokia 6133 with T-Mobile, USA) to use with my
    >> N800. Here is the problem:
    >>
    >> I just upgraded my T-Mobile account with $5.99 to allow Internet
    >> access. It seems to work fine. However, when I try to connect my 800
    >> to it I have a problem. Here is what I did:
    >>
    >> After switching Bluetooth on on my Nokia 6133 phone, I went to control
    >> panel->phone were I set up a connection to my phone, then I went to
    >> connectivity and clicked on the connection to my phone, I then got a
    >> message on the N800 saying "subscribe to packet data first" and a
    >> simultaneous message on my Nokia 6133 saying that the connection had
    >> been disconnected.
    >>
    >> I would note here that the bluetooth connection between the two units
    >> functions very well and I see all the files on my phone from the
    >> N800's file manager.
    >>
    >> Then - I suspect that this is related - I have a similar problem in
    >> another circumstance: accessing my gmail account.
    >>
    >> I went to gmail.com/app and downloaded an application called gmail
    >> mobile. The application was downloaded and installed without any
    >> problems. I could also start it with no problems. First, I am given
    >> a menu in which to enter my name and password and then I have to click
    >> on 'sign in'. This is when the problem occurs. I get a message
    >> saying 'application access set to not allowed' and, next, 'gmail can't
    >> access the server until you grant it permission to send and receive
    >> data on the network".
    >>
    >> I called T-Mobile but, predictably, all they could achieve is ask me
    >> plenty of questions about the last for digits of my social, my
    >> address, password, etc. but could offer zero help. I spoke to what
    >> appears to be a level three technicians who had exactly nothing at all
    >> to offer.
    >>
    >> My impression is that the problem is not between the phone and the T-
    >> Mobile network as no data exchange appears to be taking place between
    >> the moment I attempt to sign in and the first error message. Also -
    >> when I attempt to establish a dialup connection between my N800 and my
    >> phone (my first problem) the two units "talk" to each other, but
    >> nothing seems to be happening between the phone and the network.
    >>
    >> So what is the setting on the phone I should change?
    >>
    >> Under "settings" there is a menu connectivity->packet data which
    >> offers two options: 'when needed' and 'always online'. I tried both
    >> to no avail.
    >>
    >> So how do I enable packet data and allow application access over the
    >> network?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> VS
    >>

    > --

  4. Re: please help me out configure my phone!

    At 20 Apr 2007 14:04:40 -0500 GeekBoy wrote:

    > "Todd All****" wrote in message
    > news:4628f125$0$16377$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > > At 20 Apr 2007 09:24:28 -0700 vees wrote:

    > As I understand it they are clamping down on UNSIGNED apps.
    > Not all apps in general to restrict usage.

    True, but in this case, "unsigned" seems to mean not approved by T-
    Mobile. This seems to leave out Google Maps, Opera Mini, and GMail-
    arguably the three "must-have" Java apps for many people.

  5. Re: please help me out configure my phone!

    On Apr 20, 2:21 pm, Todd All**** wrote:
    > At 20 Apr 2007 14:04:40 -0500GeekBoywrote:
    >

    > > "Todd All****" wrote in message
    > >news:4628f125$0$16377$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > > > At 20 Apr 2007 09:24:28 -0700 vees wrote:

    > > As I understand it they are clamping down on UNSIGNED apps.
    > > Not all apps in general to restrict usage.

    > True, but in this case, "unsigned" seems to mean not approved by T-
    > Mobile. This seems to leave out Google Maps, Opera Mini, and GMail-
    > arguably the three "must-have" Java apps for many people.
    >
    > --

    You can get it signed by joining their developer's group and paying a
    big fee

+ Reply to Thread