Replacements for the ipaq 4150 CD? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Replacements for the ipaq 4150 CD? - Handheld ; I've been offered a killer deal on an ipaq 4150 PDA but I have to decide fast. The thing that's holding me up is that the owner can't find the HP CD that came with the PDA. I don't really ...

  1. Replacements for the ipaq 4150 CD?

    I've been offered a killer deal on an ipaq 4150 PDA but I have to decide
    fast. The thing that's holding me up is that the owner can't find the HP
    CD that came with the PDA. I don't really care about all the other stuff
    but I do want to be able to reinstall the OS if it's ever necessary. Does
    anyone know if I need the CD to do that, or is the OS stored in ROM? If
    the former, is there perhaps some method to image the current installation
    so I can later restore Windows from it instead of using an install CD?

    Also the HP site does have Windows mobile 5 *upgrade* for sale for
    this PDA. Does anyone know what kind of hoops that makes you jump
    through to do the upgrade? That is, do I need the original HP CD, or
    does it use the current installation to qualify the upgrade? (If the
    latter then I'm thinking I can install it using the current version to
    qualify. That'll give me a clean install since it says it overwrites all
    previous data, and I'll just image that for future reinstallation)

  2. Re: Replacements for the ipaq 4150 CD?

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:23:27 -0500, rubbernecker
    wrote:

    >I've been offered a killer deal on an ipaq 4150 PDA but I have to decide
    >fast. The thing that's holding me up is that the owner can't find the HP
    >CD that came with the PDA. I don't really care about all the other stuff
    >but I do want to be able to reinstall the OS if it's ever necessary. Does
    >anyone know if I need the CD to do that, or is the OS stored in ROM? If

    The OS is stored in ROM, and has never been available on a CD. The CD
    probably also has ActiveSync, which is available free someplace on the
    Microsoft web site. And possibly Outlook, which is not available free.

    clip

    >Also the HP site does have Windows mobile 5 *upgrade* for sale for
    >this PDA. Does anyone know what kind of hoops that makes you jump
    >through to do the upgrade? That is, do I need the original HP CD, or
    >does it use the current installation to qualify the upgrade? (If the

    Neither. Each upgrade is built for specific hardware. If you have
    physical possession of the appropriate hardware, then you have a right
    to install the upgrade.

    I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    look up
    ipaq 4150 upgrade
    and got 107 hits. At least one from a reliable poster says there is no
    upgrade for that model. I also think you should check before
    upgrading; WM 5 is not universally liked, especially as an upgrade.
    You would also get the name of a more appropriate newsgroup.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116