Recommendations for handheld dumb terminal? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Recommendations for handheld dumb terminal? - Handheld ; Can anyone recommend a good handheld rs232 terminal? I do not want: 1) A laptop - This is what I'm currently using. It's too big (even though it's a small Sony Vaio), too expensive (i'm always afraid I'll drop it ...

  1. Recommendations for handheld dumb terminal?

    Can anyone recommend a good handheld rs232 terminal?

    I do not want:

    1) A laptop - This is what I'm currently using. It's too big (even though
    it's a small Sony Vaio), too expensive (i'm always afraid I'll drop it on
    the concrete floor as I'm walking around with it), and last, it's always a
    pain waiting for windows to boot, run terminal app, etc. etc. I use it to
    configure & checkout vintage (70's era) microcomputers and I need a terminal
    throughout the day - but sporadically. Power on and go would be ideal.
    Needless to say, having a 30 year old 8080 that's up and running after a few
    toggles sitting there waiting for a 21st century machine to gather it's wits
    can get frustrating. I can only drink so many cups of coffee a day.

    2) A current PDA - horrible form factor. I don't want a calculator, phone,
    mpwhatever. I need screen and keyboard for typing - something like a
    Journada 720 would be a good size & shape - but I heard you can't connect in
    handheld mode with a 720 because you need a docking station.

    3) The things sold as "handheld terminals" these days on ebay. They are
    barcode scanners / inventory machines with calculator style keyboard
    layouts.

    Any suggestions appreciated!

    -J

  2. Re: Recommendations for handheld dumb terminal?

    John,
    I used used a HP100LX with ProcommPlus to program telephone equ. years ago.
    Klaus Ernst
    "John Crane" wrote in message
    news:COqdneaEA4dUOnDYnZ2dnUVZ_ualnZ2d@pghconnect.c om...
    > Can anyone recommend a good handheld rs232 terminal?
    >
    > I do not want:
    >
    > 1) A laptop - This is what I'm currently using. It's too big (even though
    > it's a small Sony Vaio), too expensive (i'm always afraid I'll drop it on
    > the concrete floor as I'm walking around with it), and last, it's always a
    > pain waiting for windows to boot, run terminal app, etc. etc. I use it to
    > configure & checkout vintage (70's era) microcomputers and I need a

    terminal
    > throughout the day - but sporadically. Power on and go would be ideal.
    > Needless to say, having a 30 year old 8080 that's up and running after a

    few
    > toggles sitting there waiting for a 21st century machine to gather it's

    wits
    > can get frustrating. I can only drink so many cups of coffee a day.
    >
    > 2) A current PDA - horrible form factor. I don't want a calculator,

    phone,
    > mpwhatever. I need screen and keyboard for typing - something like a
    > Journada 720 would be a good size & shape - but I heard you can't connect

    in
    > handheld mode with a 720 because you need a docking station.
    >
    > 3) The things sold as "handheld terminals" these days on ebay. They are
    > barcode scanners / inventory machines with calculator style keyboard
    > layouts.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > -J

  3. Re: Recommendations for handheld dumb terminal?

    John Crane wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good handheld rs232 terminal?
    >
    > I do not want:
    >
    > 1) A laptop - This is what I'm currently using. It's too big (even though
    > it's a small Sony Vaio), too expensive (i'm always afraid I'll drop it on
    > the concrete floor as I'm walking around with it), and last, it's always a
    > pain waiting for windows to boot, run terminal app, etc. etc. I use it to
    > configure & checkout vintage (70's era) microcomputers and I need a terminal
    > throughout the day - but sporadically. Power on and go would be ideal.
    > Needless to say, having a 30 year old 8080 that's up and running after a few
    > toggles sitting there waiting for a 21st century machine to gather it's wits
    > can get frustrating. I can only drink so many cups of coffee a day.
    >
    > 2) A current PDA - horrible form factor. I don't want a calculator, phone,
    > mpwhatever. I need screen and keyboard for typing - something like a
    > Journada 720 would be a good size & shape - but I heard you can't connect in
    > handheld mode with a 720 because you need a docking station.
    >
    > 3) The things sold as "handheld terminals" these days on ebay. They are
    > barcode scanners / inventory machines with calculator style keyboard
    > layouts.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > -J

    There are freeware terminal appplications for Palm devices. Assume
    they exist for WM too. Not good if you need to to a lot of typing, but
    if you need fixed strings sent, there are macros available. For short
    strings, you just write on the screen...way cool...

    I'm currently putting together a system to talk to a pic processor
    via RS232 on a Handspring. Ain't workin' yet, but I'm optimistic ;-)

    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!
    Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: