PPC or WM? - Handheld

This is a discussion on PPC or WM? - Handheld ; I have an iPaq 4150 running Pocket PC v4.20.0 (Build 13252). Is this the same as Windows Mobile 2003? The reason I ask is that the newest version of Activesync (or whatever it's called now) says it's only compatible with ...

  1. PPC or WM?

    I have an iPaq 4150 running Pocket PC v4.20.0 (Build 13252). Is this the
    same as Windows Mobile 2003? The reason I ask is that the newest version of
    Activesync (or whatever it's called now) says it's only compatible with
    WM2003 or later.

  2. Re: PPC or WM?

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:50:30 GMT, "Liz" wrote:

    >I have an iPaq 4150 running Pocket PC v4.20.0 (Build 13252). Is this the
    >same as Windows Mobile 2003? The reason I ask is that the newest version of
    >Activesync (or whatever it's called now) says it's only compatible with
    >WM2003 or later.

    Short answer:
    sort of.

    Longer Answer:

    Microsoft has made a nomenclatural mess; you are definitely not the
    first to ask a similar question.

    The base operating system is Windows CE. Platforms that combine the
    base operating system plus tweaks plus hardware specifications plus a
    few applications. Microsoft has defined several platforms including
    Pocket PC, Smartphone, and their predecessors. Windows Mobile is an
    umbrella term that includes Pocket PC, Pocket PC Phone Edition, and
    Smartphone.

    So the proper names are:
    Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC
    Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition
    Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone

    More common names:
    Pocket PC 2003
    Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition
    Smartphone 2003

    Similarly for Windows Mobile 5. But probably not for the next
    versions.

    For more info, see:
    http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317

    I _think_ the utility that works with Vista is a complete replacement
    for ActiveSync, not ActiveSync by another name. So the last version of
    ActiveSync is 4.x (where x > 2). ActiveSync 4.2 does at least sort of
    work with devices older than Pocket PC 2003. I can definitely connect
    and create a partnership with my old Pocket PC (2000). That lets me
    explore it and synchronize time. But I haven't tried to synchronize
    calendar, etc. Older versions of ActiveSync definitely don't work with
    Windows Mobile 5 devices.

    This newsgroup is actually more for Handheld PCs, and old Microsoft
    platform. For general questions about Pocket PCs, I suggest
    microsoft.public.pocketpc

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478