Re: Why Linux is good to use - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: Why Linux is good to use - Handheld ; "VistaEra" wrote in message news:YE7yh.19280$Un.18228@read2.cgocable.net... > > "7" wrote Nothing of consequence > > Meanwhile... > > In the 10 minutes I've used a new installation of (knoppix) here is what > I've found. > > 1. It displays 3 ...

  1. Re: Why Linux is good to use

    "VistaEra" wrote in message

    > "7" wrote Nothing of consequence
    >
    > Meanwhile...
    >
    > In the 10 minutes I've used a new installation of (knoppix) here is what
    > I've found.
    >
    > 1. It displays 3 extra CD icons on the desktop (only 1 is installed and
    > empty)
    > 2. It displays 1 extra HD icon on the desktop (only 1 is installed)
    > 3. Attempting to drag the unused icons to the trash fails.
    > 4. Attempting to setup the network returns with "su exited with error"
    > 5. Attempting to log on as root is not permitted.
    > 6. Sound mixer doesn't work properly
    > 7. Audio pops and distorts when windows are moved or menu items are
    > selected.
    > 8. Menu item to pull up a root terminal fails.
    > 9. Keyboard improperly identiifed booting from CD, but not HD.
    > 10. No device management capability
    > 11. Didn't configure network adaptor correctly - no network access
    > 12. Didn't configure network drivers correctly - invalid params - No
    > network
    > access
    > 13. Trying to set network params returnd with "SU exited with error"
    > 14. Selecting the user setting option from the run menu returns an error.
    > 15. No root access from the graphical shell even though the proper root
    > password is given.
    > 16. Vesa graphic mode (non accelerated) is strongly suspected.
    >
    > So basically, it's unusable crap, like every other version of Linux.....
    >
    > Too bad really because I like the interface.

    You showed the different versions you have tried, but not when. I know that
    Ubuntu is supposed to be a lot better lately. Actually I installed xubuntu
    recently on a very old laptop with only 64megs of ram (hence the reason for
    choosing xubuntu). It detected the limited amount of RAM, ran in low memory
    mode for the install, and now runs perfectly fine, even detected the PCMCIA
    bus, which old mandrake had a hard time with, and installed the network card
    that was plugged in there. I know knoppix is a decent version to run off of
    the CD but there are much better versions to install to hard drive.

    Now I need to find a cheap netgear network card to run it wirelessly. A lot
    of the blame your throwing around here isn't necessarily Linux's fault but
    the fault of hardware manufacturers not putting out proper drivers (or not
    letting out the source code so SOMEBODY can do it). What kind of computer
    you trying to run this on anyways?

    Still I don't get the rant, what's the point? Why bother with a Pocket PC,
    or handheld newsgroup, and the linux advocates would not be lazy and
    actually do the work to get it running. A better use of your time would
    have been to get help on getting it running from that group instead of
    trashing it for no known reason.

    --
    Edgar

  2. Re: Why Linux is good to use

    VistaEra did eloquently scribble:

    > "Edgar" wrote
    >> You showed the different versions you have tried, but not when. I know

    > that
    >> Ubuntu is supposed to be a lot better lately. Actually I installed

    > xubuntu
    >> recently on a very old laptop with only 64megs of ram (hence the reason

    > for
    >> choosing xubuntu).

    > I trued two versions of Ubuntu. the most recent stable, and the previous
    > version.

    > Unusable. 3d acceleration on video hardware not supported.

    And yet again... NO idea what he is talking about.

  3. Re: Why Linux is good to use

    VistaEra did eloquently scribble:

    >> VistaEra did eloquently scribble:
    >> > Unusable. 3d acceleration on video hardware not supported.

    > wrote
    >> And yet again... NO idea what he is talking about.

    > And again a **** Eating LinTard denies reality.

    Then come up with the details moron.
    so far, all you've done is whine and complain and kick around like a little
    baby whose parents have refused to buy him a sweety.

    Give us details.
    1)Knoppix: what version number.
    2)Motherboard: What model?
    3)Sound/network/graphics. What Models?
    4)What other distributions have you totally failed to give a good try?

    Predicted TRUE answers: 1) none, I just cherry picked problems off usenet.
    2) what's a motherboard?
    3) duuuuh
    4) None, I've never seen linux working

    If the above "predicted true answers" are incorrect...
    What help did you seek elsewhere before throwing a tantrum?
    Note: If the answer to that final question is "none", you deserve nothing
    but scorn from anyone else here. Did you even RUN knoppix as it was intended
    before hitting the install button?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |