HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on - Handheld ; Hi I inherited a 42S and it switches off imediately after switching on. In some cases the display will flash for a split second, in other cases it doesn't show anything. If I press the ON key fast enough I ...

  1. HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

    Hi
    I inherited a 42S and it switches off imediately after switching on. In
    some cases the display will flash for a split second, in other cases it
    doesn't show anything. If I press the ON key fast enough I can keep the
    display on until I release the key.

    The self test (ON-LOG) works just fine, and passes OK. But at the end
    it just switches off. ON-ROOT (the reset function?) works and very
    briefly display "Machine Reset". Same thing for the ON-SUM-XEQ Program
    Reset.

    I can even adjust the contrast, and even get it to do calculations if I
    press a key fast enough at power on, but it switches back off again as
    before.

    Anyone know what is wrong? Is there any higher level reset function I
    can try?

    The batteries are brand new and tested, and I have tried a 2nd set.

    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

    "altzone@gmail.com" writes:
    > Anyone know what is wrong? Is there any higher level reset function I
    > can try?

    Try removing the batteries and shorting out the calculator's battery
    contacts momentarily with a piece of wire. Also, clean the battery
    contacts.

  3. Re: HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "altzone@gmail.com" writes:
    > > Anyone know what is wrong? Is there any higher level reset function I
    > > can try?

    > Try removing the batteries and shorting out the calculator's battery
    > contacts momentarily with a piece of wire. Also, clean the battery
    > contacts.

    Did that, no joy.
    It appears to be some sort of software/firmware issue, as the
    calculator powers up and stays on just fine in the self test mode. In
    normal mode it just shuts off immediately.

    Dave

  4. Re: HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

    Hi,

    it's unlikely for the HP-42S to have firmware problems.
    Have you tried a master reset (ON+A+F) ?

    ON+A+F means to press and hold the ON key,
    then press and hold the upper left menu key,
    then press and hold the upper right menu key,
    then release them all.

    The interactive self test mode can be reached with ON+D,
    the looping test mode with ON+E,
    exit to normal mode with ON+C .

    The sequences are described in the user manual, too.

    There are two kinds of problems in Pioneer Series calcs
    which come to mind:

    - Stuck keys
    - Contact problem between the internal PCBs

    Neither of the above seem to be the cause,
    as your unit seems to repsond in a normal way
    in self test mode.

    So from my perspective it could be
    that the RAM area is corrupted,
    which can be resolved by doing a master reset.

    HTH

    Regards

    Raymond

    BTW: There's a more suitable forum for this
    kind of 'handheld': www.hpmuseum.org ;-)

    In case you want to reply to this message
    please reply to my eMail address,
    since I don't read the handhelds news group very often.

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1164072307.119664.186390@k70g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    >> "altzone@gmail.com" writes:
    >> > Anyone know what is wrong? Is there any higher level reset function I
    >> > can try?

    >> Try removing the batteries and shorting out the calculator's battery
    >> contacts momentarily with a piece of wire. Also, clean the battery
    >> contacts.

    > Did that, no joy.
    > It appears to be some sort of software/firmware issue, as the
    > calculator powers up and stays on just fine in the self test mode. In
    > normal mode it just shuts off immediately.
    >
    > Dave

  5. Re: HP 42S problem - Keeps switching off after turn-on

    Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > it's unlikely for the HP-42S to have firmware problems.
    > Have you tried a master reset (ON+A+F) ?
    >
    > ON+A+F means to press and hold the ON key,
    > then press and hold the upper left menu key,
    > then press and hold the upper right menu key,
    > then release them all.
    >
    > The interactive self test mode can be reached with ON+D,
    > the looping test mode with ON+E,
    > exit to normal mode with ON+C .
    >
    > The sequences are described in the user manual, too.
    >

    > There are two kinds of problems in Pioneer Series calcs
    > which come to mind:
    >
    > - Stuck keys
    > - Contact problem between the internal PCBs
    >
    > Neither of the above seem to be the cause,
    > as your unit seems to repsond in a normal way
    > in self test mode.
    >
    > So from my perspective it could be
    > that the RAM area is corrupted,
    > which can be resolved by doing a master reset.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Raymond

    Thanks Raymond.
    Unfortunately none of that works either.
    I get a brief "Memory Clear" message on the display but it just turns
    off again.

    > BTW: There's a more suitable forum for this
    > kind of 'handheld': www.hpmuseum.org ;-)

    I've asked there to no avail.

    Thanks
    Dave