Handheld With Internet - Handheld

This is a discussion on Handheld With Internet - Handheld ; I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can ...

  1. Handheld With Internet

    I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the
    phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's
    Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can help that would
    be great.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Handheld With Internet

    Many folks who provide answers check only once a day, so repeating the
    same question more frequently is more likely to annoy than to increase
    the speed of a response. I answered your earlier post.

    On 6 Nov 2006 09:46:03 -0800, "Red Alert" wrote:

    >I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the
    >phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's
    >Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can help that would
    >be great.
    >
    >Thanks

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Handheld With Internet

    I'm sorry. I had the wrong email address on the other one so I got rid
    of it quickly. I didn't think anyone had saw it so I posted a new one
    with the right email address.

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    > Many folks who provide answers check only once a day, so repeating the
    > same question more frequently is more likely to annoy than to increase
    > the speed of a response. I answered your earlier post.
    >
    > On 6 Nov 2006 09:46:03 -0800, "Red Alert" wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the
    > >phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's
    > >Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can help that would
    > >be great.
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    > Boston, MA 02116
    > www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Handheld With Internet

    I'm using the NOKIA 770. Maybe that would fill your bill.
    http://www.nokiausa.com/770
    Klaus Ernst
    "Red Alert" wrote in message
    news:1162835163.326573.273800@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the
    > phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's
    > Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can help that would
    > be great.
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Handheld With Internet

    Look at the Sony Mylo or the Nokia 770. Nokia should release a new version
    in Jan/Feb. (870??).

    "Red Alert" wrote in message
    news:1162835163.326573.273800@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I am looking at buying a handheld like the Treo but I don't want the
    > phone. It needs to be able to access the internet. I looked at HP's
    > Jornada but I don't need somehing that big. If you can help that would
    > be great.
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Re: Handheld With Internet

    Thanks Guys for all your help!

  7. Re: Handheld With Internet

    Red Alert wrote:
    > Thanks Guys for all your help!

    Depends on what you want to do with the internet.
    Try this experiment.
    Cut a hole in a piece of paper that fits over 320x240 pixels of your
    desktop display...or whatever display size you're contemplating buying.
    Paste it onto your display and size your IE or firefox or whatever
    window to fit within the hole, toolbars and all.
    Now surf the web for a while using only the left mouse button.

    Also make sure the browser on you shiny
    new pda has enough features to support the pages you want to view.

    Also imagine, depending on your connection method and speed, that it's
    slow as molases.

    My favorite site is EBAY. It asks me for a user name, then asks for a
    password. Since it's off screen, I have to scroll over to it and put
    the insertion point in the password box, at which
    point it reloads and asks me for my user name.

    Make sure you lock up your firearms. You're gonna get so frustrated
    with the small screen that you'll want to shoot your computer.

    Also go read some reviews on using the newer 480x640 pda displays and
    how many applications can't use the resolution effectively.

    Once you've made the decision, put the cash in your pocket and go off to
    a store that will let you demo it in a real online experience.
    Then take the cash out of your pocket...look at it...think about all the
    fun you could have with that much scratch while you wait for an
    acceptable handheld surfing solution to become available.

    I gave up and went back to a Fujitsu Lifebook B112. It's big, 7"x9" and
    weighs over two pounds, but the 800x600 touchscreen is actually usable
    for the web. I don't know what they go for where you are, but at $15 it
    was a no-brainer.
    mike

  8. Re: Handheld With Internet

    In mike wrote:
    > Red Alert wrote:
    >> Thanks Guys for all your help!
    >>

    > Depends on what you want to do with the internet.
    > Try this experiment.
    > Cut a hole in a piece of paper that fits over 320x240 pixels of your
    > desktop display...or whatever display size you're contemplating buying.
    > Paste it onto your display and size your IE or firefox or whatever
    > window to fit within the hole, toolbars and all.
    > Now surf the web for a while using only the left mouse button.
    >
    > Also make sure the browser on you shiny
    > new pda has enough features to support the pages you want to view.
    >
    > Also imagine, depending on your connection method and speed, that it's
    > slow as molases.
    >
    > My favorite site is EBAY. It asks me for a user name, then asks for a
    > password. Since it's off screen, I have to scroll over to it and put
    > the insertion point in the password box, at which
    > point it reloads and asks me for my user name.
    >
    > Make sure you lock up your firearms. You're gonna get so frustrated
    > with the small screen that you'll want to shoot your computer.
    >
    > Also go read some reviews on using the newer 480x640 pda displays and
    > how many applications can't use the resolution effectively.
    >
    > Once you've made the decision, put the cash in your pocket and go off
    > to a store that will let you demo it in a real online experience. Then
    > take the cash out of your pocket...look at it...think about all the
    > fun you could have with that much scratch while you wait for an
    > acceptable handheld surfing solution to become available.
    >
    > I gave up and went back to a Fujitsu Lifebook B112. It's big, 7"x9"
    > and weighs over two pounds, but the 800x600 touchscreen is actually
    > usable for the web. I don't know what they go for where you are, but
    > at $15 it was a no-brainer. mike

    I still am quite enamored with the nokia 770 internet tablets. Though I
    think they are getting harder and harder to find and real development
    hasn't taken hold yet for the Neamo platform. my only gripe with them
    is audio and storage space. but they are cool for wifi surfing on the
    web.

    my 2 cents.
    --
    "Egun On, Lagunak" (Basque for g'day Mates)
    Pete Nalda

  9. Re: Handheld With Internet

    Thank You. I will think about what you said.

+ Reply to Thread