SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM? - Handheld

This is a discussion on SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM? - Handheld ; SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM? How well does the SHARP ZAURUS synch with a Macintosh? Which ones have a Backlit Keyboard? Does it work like a real computer, where I can download and install software ...

  1. SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    How well does the SHARP ZAURUS synch with a Macintosh?

    Which ones have a Backlit Keyboard?

    Does it work like a real computer, where I can download and install
    software from directly in the PDA, without having to synch it and
    install from a larger computer like in PALM?

    What's the best PDA with a backlit keyboard, cursive handwriting
    software, and can synch with a Macintosh?

    TIA!!!

  2. Re: SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    On 2006-11-04 19:12 CET, Zello Yello wrote:

    > SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    Definitely! Well, to be honest, it depends on your requirements.
    The Zaurus is a real small PC running Linux.

    > How well does the SHARP ZAURUS synch with a Macintosh?

    Don't know.

    > Which ones have a Backlit Keyboard?

    Not the Zuarus. But as it is clamshell design and it has an excellent
    display, the display illuminates the keyboard.

    > Does it work like a real computer, where I can download and install
    > software from directly in the PDA, without having to synch it and
    > install from a larger computer like in PALM?

    Yes. You can install software directly from the network or from memory
    card.

    --

  3. Re: SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    In article ,
    Jochen Schmid wrote:

    > On 2006-11-04 19:12 CET, Zello Yello wrote:
    >
    > > SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    > Definitely! Well, to be honest, it depends on your requirements.
    > The Zaurus is a real small PC running Linux.
    >
    > > How well does the SHARP ZAURUS synch with a Macintosh?

    > Don't know.
    >
    > > Which ones have a Backlit Keyboard?

    > Not the Zuarus. But as it is clamshell design and it has an excellent
    > display, the display illuminates the keyboard.
    >
    > > Does it work like a real computer, where I can download and install
    > > software from directly in the PDA, without having to synch it and
    > > install from a larger computer like in PALM?

    > Yes. You can install software directly from the network or from memory
    > card.

    I've never used Linux or Zaurus. I need a PDA to TYPE/WRITE books, maybe
    even design basic websites on, has good handwriting recognition
    software, has text-to-speech to read ebooks aloud, and plays MP3s.

    Can Zaurus do all this?

    How easy is it to use?

    I don't know a thing about Linux.

  4. Re: SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    On 2006-11-05 00:16 CET, Zello Yello wrote:

    > I've never used Linux or Zaurus. I need a PDA to TYPE/WRITE books,

    Yes. Up to a real word processor (TextMaker).

    > maybe even design basic websites on,

    If you don't need a GUI for that, yes.

    > has good handwriting recognition

    It has, but I don't know how good it is. I don't use it because I
    normally use the keyboard.

    > software, has text-to-speech to read ebooks aloud,

    No.

    > and plays MP3s.

    Yes, excellent player available.

    > How easy is it to use?

    > I don't know a thing about Linux.

    You don't need Linux knowledge to use it.

    --

  5. Re: SHARP ZAURUS - Backlit Keyboard? Better than IPAQ or PALM?

    > How well does the SHARP ZAURUS synch with a Macintosh?

    I am the author of a nice (shareware) tool called ZMacSync (
    http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=ZMacSync ). It comes with an USB
    driver (AJZaurusUSB) so that you can connect the Zaurus through the USB
    cable to the Mac and establish a TCP/IP connection for remote control
    (by using a secure shell). WLAN/Airport also works.

    ZMacSync can also mount the internal or external memory of the Zaurus
    on your Mac Finder desktop. With that feature you can write documents
    on your Zaurus and save them in .doc format, copy to your Mac and
    directly open them in TextEdit, Pages or Office. Or you can copy PDF
    files to the Zaurus and read them with PDF Viewer.

    It is intended to eventually release a full sync solution, but I
    haven't reached that goal so far. But the latest release can be fully
    used in daily life to *copy* contacts and events *from* the Mac *to*
    the Zaurus. So it allows to keep your master data (e.g. synced with
    ..Mac) on your Mac and carry a copy on the Zaurus with you. This might
    cover 98% of what you need in daily life.

    The download includes a full installation manual.

    You are also welcome to the lively Zaurus user club at
    http://www.oesf.org

    -- hns

+ Reply to Thread