How do I even manufacture a handheld device ? - Handheld

This is a discussion on How do I even manufacture a handheld device ? - Handheld ; Hello All, I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an idea: to make a "calculator" kind of device that can take ...

  1. How do I even manufacture a handheld device ?

    Hello All,

    I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people
    manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an
    idea: to
    make a "calculator" kind of device that can take the amount of time you
    run as an input and gives the calories burnt as output.

    How would I manufacture such a device ? Do I write a computer program,
    give it to some manufacturer (say, in China) or should I sit and
    design the hardware blocks ?? If so, how would design the hardware
    blocks ?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated (I am kind of really curious )

    thanks
    srini

  2. Re: How do I even manufacture a handheld device ?

    srinivasan.murali@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people
    > manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an
    > idea: to
    > make a "calculator" kind of device that can take the amount of time you
    > run as an input and gives the calories burnt as output.

    It's called a programmable calculator. You can buy 'em at any office
    supply store. Write the program and shareware it online.
    Or just print a straight line on a graph and sell the chart.

    > How would I manufacture such a device ? Do I write a computer program,
    > give it to some manufacturer (say, in China) or should I sit and
    > design the hardware blocks ?? If so, how would design the hardware
    > blocks ?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated (I am kind of really curious )

    First thing you need is a business plan. Once you have all the details
    worked out, you'll realize that the only way to succeed is to sell the
    idea to Nike...and that ain't gonna happen.

    If your idea is bad, you'll fail no matter what you do.
    If it's good, you need to be prepared to bet BIG bux to capture market
    share and cash out before the big boys take your market from you.
    Think "pet rock".

    Rethink your strategy. You want to sell something with guaranteed
    repeat business. The people who make blood sugar monitors don't make
    anything on the device. But they lock you into their expensive test
    strips that you buy again and again and again.

    I always come to the conclusion that if I had the startup funding,
    I wouldn't need to do the project...I'd just go lay on the beach.
    But wait...I AM laying on the beach... ;-)

    > thanks
    > srini

  3. Re: How do I even manufacture a handheld device ?

    On 29 Oct 2006 19:29:17 -0800, srinivasan.murali@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people
    >manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an
    >idea: to
    >make a "calculator" kind of device that can take the amount of time you
    >run as an input and gives the calories burnt as output.
    >
    > How would I manufacture such a device ? Do I write a computer program,
    >give it to some manufacturer (say, in China) or should I sit and
    >design the hardware blocks ?? If so, how would design the hardware
    >blocks ?

    Several companies specialize in developing devices for other people.
    Calculators, milking machines, highway _information_ signs, etc. So
    you discuss your specifications with one of those companies, get an
    estimate for cost and feasibility, and then decide.

    >Any help would be greatly appreciated (I am kind of really curious )
    >
    >thanks
    >srini

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: How do I even manufacture a handheld device ?

    srinivasan.murali@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people
    > manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an
    > idea: to
    > make a "calculator" kind of device that can take the amount of time you
    > run as an input and gives the calories burnt as output.
    >
    > How would I manufacture such a device ? Do I write a computer program,
    > give it to some manufacturer (say, in China) or should I sit and
    > design the hardware blocks ?? If so, how would design the hardware
    > blocks ?

    This is already available on some electronic pedometers.

  5. Re: How do I even manufacture a handheld device ?

    beachshark wrote:

    > That srinivasan wrote:
    >> I am a newbie to the field and I am kind off intrigued on how people
    >> manfucture small handheld electronic devices. That is, say, I have an
    >> idea: to
    >> make a "calculator" kind of device that can take the amount of time you
    >> run as an input and gives the calories burnt as output.
    >>

    > This is already available on some electronic pedometers.

    Sportline Electronic Pedometer 350. Made in Taiwan. About $5.

    --
    LittleJohn
    Madison, AL

+ Reply to Thread