Jornada 620lx questions - Handheld

This is a discussion on Jornada 620lx questions - Handheld ; This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8 (version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being able ...

  1. Jornada 620lx questions

    This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck
    so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8
    (version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being
    able to move things back and forth. How does one configure internet
    access through the cable? I am looking for a wireless card that will
    work but I'm not finding anything quick there either. Also, it has a
    CF slot, what is supported in this slot? Memory for sure, don't know
    how much the OS will support in the CF slot. It's a bone stock unit,
    Windows CE 2.0 and all... Thanks in advance.

    PS - I was refered here and a few other places after asking this in
    the palmtops.hp group...

  2. Re: Jornada 620lx questions

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:00:53 GMT, Psycho wrote:

    > This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck
    > so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8
    > (version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being
    > able to move things back and forth. How does one configure internet
    > access through the cable? I am looking for a wireless card that will
    > work but I'm not finding anything quick there either. Also, it has a
    > CF slot, what is supported in this slot? Memory for sure, don't know
    > how much the OS will support in the CF slot. It's a bone stock unit,
    > Windows CE 2.0 and all... Thanks in advance.
    >
    > PS - I was refered here and a few other places after asking this in
    > the palmtops.hp group...

    You might try this website. It seems to be the best for handhelds, and has
    links to many others.

    www.hpcfactor.com

    Good luck,

  3. Re: Jornada 620lx questions

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:00:53 GMT, Psycho wrote:

    >This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck
    >so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8
    >(version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being
    >able to move things back and forth. How does one configure internet
    >access through the cable?

    If you're trying to connect to the Internet using the same serial
    cable you use for ActiveSync, then it is either easy or impossible. I
    just connected a 620 to one of my computers using ActiveSync 3.1; no
    tcp/ip connection, and thus no Internet connection. I know ActiveSync
    4.x supports tcp/ip connections, including Internet, but it doesn't
    support the 620. I don't have a copy of ActiveSync 3.8 installed, but
    I suspect it doesn't support tcp/ip. So you're probably out of luck
    with this method.

    > I am looking for a wireless card that will
    >work but I'm not finding anything quick there either.

    You'll need something that is _not_ cardbus. Preferably something that
    is low power. The 620 comes with built-in support for Proxim's old,
    proprietary wireless networking (good stuff in its time, but not worth
    much now).

    > Also, it has a
    >CF slot, what is supported in this slot? Memory for sure, don't know
    >how much the OS will support in the CF slot. It's a bone stock unit,
    >Windows CE 2.0 and all... Thanks in advance.

    I just tried a CF Network card. The operating system prompted for the
    name of the driver, so the hardware will support more than memory.
    Finding drivers might be tricky.

    I'm pretty sure I had a Socket PC LAN card that worked with my Casio
    HPC. I don't think I tried it with my HP 620, but it would probably
    work, if you can find one. Also, you might check their web site at
    http://www.socketcom.com/
    (note that it is socketcom, not socket).
    I wandered around the "Product Compatibility Matrix" and found some
    potential leads. Nothing for anything made by HP. But products that
    work with the NEC 790 might work for you. That includes a low power CF
    Wireless LAN card.

    >PS - I was refered here and a few other places after asking this in
    >the palmtops.hp group...

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Jornada 620lx questions

    "Psycho" wrote in message
    > This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck
    > so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8
    > (version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being
    > able to move things back and forth. How does one configure internet
    > access through the cable? I am looking for a wireless card that will
    > work but I'm not finding anything quick there either. Also, it has a
    > CF slot, what is supported in this slot? Memory for sure, don't know
    > how much the OS will support in the CF slot. It's a bone stock unit,
    > Windows CE 2.0 and all... Thanks in advance.
    >
    > PS - I was refered here and a few other places after asking this in
    > the palmtops.hp group...

    Get a compatible PCMCIA ethernet or wireless ethernet card (Lucent Orinoco
    for compatible wireless IRRC).

    --
    Tony
    '04 XL883C, '95 LS650

  5. Re: Jornada 620lx questions

    I actually got ahold of a Linksys WPC11 card since I found it
    mentioned many times with this unit. Drivers were easy to find but I
    can't get the driver installed because one of the dll files is
    actually in ROM and the installer refuses to complete until it can
    overwrite the file. I did find a reference as to how to get past this
    but haven't been able to get it done yet. Takes me back to the old
    days where everything was an uphill battle (hacking was always a
    blast)...

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:54:47 -0500, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:00:53 GMT, Psycho wrote:
    >
    >>This may be information I can find elsewhere but I've had little luck
    >>so far. I have an HP Jornada 620lx and have located ActiveSync 3.8
    >>(version 4 doesn't support this sucker) so I'm good as far as being
    >>able to move things back and forth. How does one configure internet
    >>access through the cable?

    >If you're trying to connect to the Internet using the same serial
    >cable you use for ActiveSync, then it is either easy or impossible. I
    >just connected a 620 to one of my computers using ActiveSync 3.1; no
    >tcp/ip connection, and thus no Internet connection. I know ActiveSync
    >4.x supports tcp/ip connections, including Internet, but it doesn't
    >support the 620. I don't have a copy of ActiveSync 3.8 installed, but
    >I suspect it doesn't support tcp/ip. So you're probably out of luck
    >with this method.
    >

    >> I am looking for a wireless card that will
    >>work but I'm not finding anything quick there either.

    >You'll need something that is _not_ cardbus. Preferably something that
    >is low power. The 620 comes with built-in support for Proxim's old,
    >proprietary wireless networking (good stuff in its time, but not worth
    >much now).
    >

    >> Also, it has a
    >>CF slot, what is supported in this slot? Memory for sure, don't know
    >>how much the OS will support in the CF slot. It's a bone stock unit,
    >>Windows CE 2.0 and all... Thanks in advance.

    >I just tried a CF Network card. The operating system prompted for the
    >name of the driver, so the hardware will support more than memory.
    >Finding drivers might be tricky.
    >
    >I'm pretty sure I had a Socket PC LAN card that worked with my Casio
    >HPC. I don't think I tried it with my HP 620, but it would probably
    >work, if you can find one. Also, you might check their web site at
    >http://www.socketcom.com/
    >(note that it is socketcom, not socket).
    >I wandered around the "Product Compatibility Matrix" and found some
    >potential leads. Nothing for anything made by HP. But products that
    >work with the NEC 790 might work for you. That includes a low power CF
    >Wireless LAN card.
    >

    >>PS - I was refered here and a few other places after asking this in
    >>the palmtops.hp group...

    >To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    >Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >PenFact, Inc.
    >20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    >Boston, MA 02116
    >www.penfact.com

  6. Re: Jornada 620lx questions

    Ok, I figured this out with a little help from Google. The card is now
    installed and working. Next step is to figure out what the limits are
    on the CF slot as to memory...

+ Reply to Thread