Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs - Handheld

This is a discussion on Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs - Handheld ; I have been assigned a task to lead a project in the porting of a current application to the handheld market. The current application was written in C# as a desktop application. We first need to decide what language(s)/platforms to ...

  1. Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs

    I have been assigned a task to lead a project in the porting of a
    current application to the handheld market. The current application
    was written in C# as a desktop application.

    We first need to decide what language(s)/platforms to target in order
    to do this, such that we are able to maximize availability to the
    market. Are there any decision matrixes available that compare the
    different OS and SDKs?

    What would be the best approach to tackle this problem?

    Thank you very much for any and all help.

    Benjamin

  2. Re: Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs

    Your two main platforms are Palm and PocketPC. While both have multiple
    languages, their native is C for Palm and C++ for PocketPC. You can do C++
    on Palm pretty easy. Most of the other platforms are proprietary.

    DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

    wrote in message
    news:1160763515.788441.167030@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have been assigned a task to lead a project in the porting of a
    > current application to the handheld market. The current application
    > was written in C# as a desktop application.
    >
    > We first need to decide what language(s)/platforms to target in order
    > to do this, such that we are able to maximize availability to the
    > market. Are there any decision matrixes available that compare the
    > different OS and SDKs?
    >
    > What would be the best approach to tackle this problem?
    >
    > Thank you very much for any and all help.
    >
    > Benjamin

  3. Re: Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:33:47 -0700, "Baxter"
    wrote:

    >Your two main platforms are Palm and PocketPC. While both have multiple
    >languages, their native is C for Palm and C++ for PocketPC. You can do C++

    The Pocket PC platform is based on the Windows CE operating system.
    Although Windows CE has very little code in common with "big" Windows,
    it supports a variant (mostly a proper subset) of the Win23 API, which
    is for C, _not_ C++. Thus, C is the "native" language for _all_
    Windows operating systems. Microsoft provides MFC as a framework that
    uses C++, but the MFC functions are "wrappers" that call C functions
    internally (directly or indirectly). Many programmers, including me,
    use C++ without MFC. Microsoft also provides the .NET platform,
    including a subset (the CF) for Pocket PC. And Microsoft encourages
    using one of the .NET languages (VB or C#) when programming for .the
    ..NET platform, so the .NET languages are sort of "native" for the .NET
    platform.

    I went to a Linux convention recently, and believe Palm is switching
    to Linux.

    >on Palm pretty easy. Most of the other platforms are proprietary.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Comparison of various handheld OS and SDKs

    Palm hardware or Palm OS?

    You're probably thinking of Palm OS which was bought by ACCESS - which is
    planning to use the Linux kernel. Is it really Linux, however, if the
    SDK/API is Palm?

    wrote in message

    > I went to a Linux convention recently, and believe Palm is switching
    > to Linux.

+ Reply to Thread