Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770 - Handheld ; I do not want to lug around my laptop all the time. However, I do want the convenience of being able to look up information quickly. I currently have a Sprint EV-DO phone but the screen is just too small. ...

  1. Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770

    I do not want to lug around my laptop all the time. However, I do want
    the convenience of being able to look up information quickly.

    I currently have a Sprint EV-DO phone but the screen is just too small.
    Moreover, typing with T9 is just a pain for me. It is also too slow to
    scroll through long web pages without a pointing device.

    Should I get a Nokia 770 "Internet Tablet" or an HP hx2495? The Nokia
    appears to have a much bigger screen, but the HP seems to have better
    battery life. Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on
    WM5?

    Which one should I get? Experts, please help.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770

    Hi,
    don't know if I'm an expert, but here is my two cents worth.
    I own the Nokia 770 and an older iPAQ (h2215 WM2003)
    The Nokia 770 screen is gorgeous.
    >Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on WM5?

    I tried http://www.dhteumeuleu.com which I found on the DHTML Wikipedia.
    The iPAQ shows a black blank page. Don't know if WM5 would do any better.
    Same thing with Netfront on the iPAQ.
    The Nokia shows the page with the animation but can not move the
    'string of pearls' around with the cursor.
    Don't know what particular feature of DHTML you are looking for.
    Send me a sample URL and I try it for you.
    Klaus Ernst
    wrote in message
    news:1160553007.669359.289340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    > I do not want to lug around my laptop all the time. However, I do want
    > the convenience of being able to look up information quickly.
    >
    > I currently have a Sprint EV-DO phone but the screen is just too small.
    > Moreover, typing with T9 is just a pain for me. It is also too slow to
    > scroll through long web pages without a pointing device.
    >
    > Should I get a Nokia 770 "Internet Tablet" or an HP hx2495? The Nokia
    > appears to have a much bigger screen, but the HP seems to have better
    > battery life. Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on
    > WM5?
    >
    > Which one should I get? Experts, please help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770

    Thanks for your advice. Looks like the 770 is the one to get then. Is
    the battery life acceptable though?

    Klaus Ernst wrote:
    > Hi,
    > don't know if I'm an expert, but here is my two cents worth.
    > I own the Nokia 770 and an older iPAQ (h2215 WM2003)
    > The Nokia 770 screen is gorgeous.
    > >Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on WM5?

    > I tried http://www.dhteumeuleu.com which I found on the DHTML Wikipedia.
    > The iPAQ shows a black blank page. Don't know if WM5 would do any better.
    > Same thing with Netfront on the iPAQ.
    > The Nokia shows the page with the animation but can not move the
    > 'string of pearls' around with the cursor.
    > Don't know what particular feature of DHTML you are looking for.
    > Send me a sample URL and I try it for you.
    > Klaus Ernst
    > wrote in message
    > news:1160553007.669359.289340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    > > I do not want to lug around my laptop all the time. However, I do want
    > > the convenience of being able to look up information quickly.
    > >
    > > I currently have a Sprint EV-DO phone but the screen is just too small.
    > > Moreover, typing with T9 is just a pain for me. It is also too slow to
    > > scroll through long web pages without a pointing device.
    > >
    > > Should I get a Nokia 770 "Internet Tablet" or an HP hx2495? The Nokia
    > > appears to have a much bigger screen, but the HP seems to have better
    > > battery life. Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on
    > > WM5?
    > >
    > > Which one should I get? Experts, please help.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: Mobile web browsing - HP hx2495 or Nokia 770

    >Is the battery life acceptable though?
    I would say so. I charged the unit last nite and went on the web for about
    2 1/2 hrs today.
    Part of that with music streaming in the background and with a Bluetooth
    keyboard connected
    on and off. The battery indicator has 4 bars. It shows 2 bars now. If this
    means 50% I don't
    know. One reviewer said the indicator is not linear, that it drops off
    faster at the end. Problem
    with the reviews is that most of them are for the original version (2005).
    The 2006 version is
    the 'new and improved' one ;-). For the Bluetooth keyboard I had to install
    Maemo Bluetooth Plugin version 0.5.0, for use with the Internet Tablet OS
    2006 edition.
    I use the ThinkOutside Stowaway keyboard.
    Klaus

    wrote in message
    news:1160722707.621024.169280@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks for your advice. Looks like the 770 is the one to get then. Is
    > the battery life acceptable though?
    >
    > Klaus Ernst wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > don't know if I'm an expert, but here is my two cents worth.
    > > I own the Nokia 770 and an older iPAQ (h2215 WM2003)
    > > The Nokia 770 screen is gorgeous.
    > > >Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on WM5?

    > > I tried http://www.dhteumeuleu.com which I found on the DHTML Wikipedia.
    > > The iPAQ shows a black blank page. Don't know if WM5 would do any

    better.
    > > Same thing with Netfront on the iPAQ.
    > > The Nokia shows the page with the animation but can not move the
    > > 'string of pearls' around with the cursor.
    > > Don't know what particular feature of DHTML you are looking for.
    > > Send me a sample URL and I try it for you.
    > > Klaus Ernst
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:1160553007.669359.289340@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    > > > I do not want to lug around my laptop all the time. However, I do want
    > > > the convenience of being able to look up information quickly.
    > > >
    > > > I currently have a Sprint EV-DO phone but the screen is just too

    small.
    > > > Moreover, typing with T9 is just a pain for me. It is also too slow to
    > > > scroll through long web pages without a pointing device.
    > > >
    > > > Should I get a Nokia 770 "Internet Tablet" or an HP hx2495? The Nokia
    > > > appears to have a much bigger screen, but the HP seems to have better
    > > > battery life. Does Opera on the Nokia handle DHTML better than IE on
    > > > WM5?
    > > >
    > > > Which one should I get? Experts, please help.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread